DaveMore

Starting pointers sought... independent developer looking to go to USA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

To say I know little of US work visa is probably an overstatement, so I'm helpful for beginner's pointers. I'm a German currently living in China (Skype-calling the US embassy for Visa info didn't work for me for now).

Background: I'm looking to move into the US with my wife (Chinese) and my son (German); myself I'm an independent games/ apps & web site developer/ designer and also wrote a book. My income is actually from the US due to things like eBay commissions, AdSense revenue, Apple Inc app payments and so on. My wife wants to work as an architect. I've been programming for 16 years, and want to continue to work independently on apps and such. Where would I get started for a work visa, or what type of visa it is that I/ we need?

Thanks so much for any help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There isn't really a visa for your case. Your best options would be:

- An investors visa- start your own US based company, must invest at least $500'000.

- A H1B visa; get sponsorship/ employment from a US based company (Maybe try Apple?), based on your experience.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Here are links to types of temporary work visas http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1275.html

and here are sponsored immigrant visas (except the investor visa also listed on this page) http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would suggest to you, strongly, that moving to USA would be a waste of yer time, and instead - focus on (pick one, after you've studied a bit)

--immigrating to New Zealand

--immigrating to Australia

--moving to Malaysia on an entrepreneur visa

--moving to Singapura on a Business Visa

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would go with Dave's advice, what Penguin said is partially correct here is more detail on the same.

http://ramosimmigrationlaw.com/en/permanent-residence-through-employment-or-investment/permanent-residence-through-employment-or-investment

look for EB5 on there.

you only have 2 option either H1B, where some employer has to hire you or EB2 invest anywhere between $500,000 - $1,000,000 and create significant employment for USC.

Which you will have to keep this business afloat for atleast 2 years and it is monitored.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.