DaniG

International Student Adviser Screwing up with F-1 Status

10 posts in this topic

So, this month, two semesters after my May 2010 graduation from a program in which I enrolled with F-1 visa, I found out that for the last 2 semesters I have been on SEVIS's list of students requiring registration. I also changed status right after my graduation, so I not even an F-1 at the moment, and under my current status I am not required to be enrolled in any courses, let alone at that school.

I got a letter about that the first semester after my graduation and I emailed my school that I had already graduated and should not be getting such alerts because it is ridiculous that they would report me to SEVIS for not enrolling full time after I have already graduated. I got no reply from the international student adviser, but I thought everything was resolved at that point since it was obvious what he should do - report what he had failed to report when I graduated.

However, this January I got another letter, just like the first one, saying that SEVIS was alerted about my case and that I have failed to register for courses full-time. I am now questioning whether the international advisor in that school is a clueless idiot or if he is acting maliciously in my case. I contacted said advisor but he is obstinately refusing to give me any information about what he has been reporting to SEVIS and whether he has reported my graduation to them at all. He is very arrogant and is saying that I should deal with SEVIS myself and that my graduation has nothing to do with these alerts... I called SEVIS and they said it is the school's job to do all the reporting and sort out this case - they did not even ask me what my name was because they would not take status info from me.

I am at a loss about what to do and would appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Do I have any legal right to receive a copy of my SEVIS file or at least get info about what reports have been made by the school to them? Is there a way to file a formal complaint against the school/international student adviser with SEVIS and request an investigation of my case? I have more than enough docs to prove that I have always complied with my F-1 status, for as long as I had it, and that after I was no longer an F-1 I have been holding another status with the approval of USCIS. Or would it better to just file a complaint within my former school against the international student adviser who is screwing up my file (at least I hope it is just my file, because that school has many international students)?

More importantly, what do these alerts result in? Could they mess with my becoming a resident in the future? Could I be refused reentry into the US if I go out of the country, even though under my current status I should have no problems with this? Is there a high likelihood customs and immigration would pull me over for a long chat, causing me to miss flights?

Edited by DaniG

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What is your current status in the US?

Each department has a chair or a director, you can find out who the director is for your DSO and begin asking questions about your advisor.

I'd make an appointment with your international advisor first and not leave until this is sorted out. If an apointment cannot me made, simply show up and not leave until you have your answers

You can also file a Freedom of Information Act request with SEVIS to find out what has been reported in your case

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

What is your current status in the US?

Each department has a chair or a director, you can find out who the director is for your DSO and begin asking questions about your advisor.

I'd make an appointment with your international advisor first and not leave until this is sorted out. If an apointment cannot me made, simply show up and not leave until you have your answers

You can also file a Freedom of Information Act request with SEVIS to find out what has been reported in your case

Good luck

Thank you so much, Canadian WIfe! I can't make an appointment with the guy because I just started a full time job & have no vacation to waste on that but I will find out who is his boss & write a letter to them. It sounds it will be easier to get my file from SEVIS than from this guy...

My current status is conditional resident & I have to file for permanent in a year, this is why I am worried this situation might complicate my case. We also just got tickets to go see my family in Europe this spring & I don't want any ugly situations at the airport that cause me to lose precious days of short our vacation.

02/14/2010 Married

05/27/2012 GC expires

Timeline

If you do contact the director, make sure you have your correspondences with your DSO well documented

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Definitely contact the person in charge of DSO that's messing up. Should be the director of international student office - email should suffice but as canadian_wife already said - you want it documented.

Given your LPR status, don't think you will have any issues leaving or entering the country.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Luckily, all the correspondence was through e-mail because that person does not bother to answer his phone or reply to voice messages... He is the only employee in the International Students office, so I guess I would have to contact the provost or president. I just can't help wondering if other students are in the same situation because of that individual... I was lucky I got a green card, but if someone has just gone back home or changed to another non-immigant status all these alerts would show up when they apply for a new US visa...

02/14/2010 Married

05/27/2012 GC expires

Timeline

The international student office is probably a subdepartment of another department, don't go to the provost or the president yet, they are busy and probably won't even bother with your, individual case. Look under the Student Development Department.

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Other Timeline

You owe it all students following your footsteps to make sure this guy doesn't screw up any longer. However, at this point you are an LPR so none of this has even the slightest impact on your current and future status.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You owe it all students following your footsteps to make sure this guy doesn't screw up any longer. However, at this point you are an LPR so none of this has even the slightest impact on your current and future status.

Thanks for calming down my fears, Just Bob! This is exactly how I feel, by the way.

02/14/2010 Married

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you so much, Canadian WIfe! I can't make an appointment with the guy because I just started a full time job & have no vacation to waste on that but I will find out who is his boss & write a letter to them. It sounds it will be easier to get my file from SEVIS than from this guy...

My current status is conditional resident & I have to file for permanent in a year, this is why I am worried this situation might complicate my case. We also just got tickets to go see my family in Europe this spring & I don't want any ugly situations at the airport that cause me to lose precious days of short our vacation.

Even if you get info from SEVIS you cannot update the info, as SEVIS told you, it can only be corrected by school.

If your DSO screwed up then he will have to take the responsibility and fix it.

If I would be in your place I would take time off and get this thing sorted out, you will never know when this will come and bite you.

I have a friend who was has been pulled over after 5-6 yrs of the screw up by immigration and he was traveling all the time in that 5-6 yrs never got pulled to side, but one day boom he was in for some mistake 5 yrs back.

Yes report it to the director or whoever sits on DSO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.