14 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I am leaving on Feb 21st for the US on a K1 visa. My fiance lives in PA and the closest airport to him is Newark.

I noticed that it says "Wescosville, PA" on my visa

My parents both work for Philippine Airlines so I get to fly for free. However, PAL only flies to the California and Vegas so my mom got me a ticket to SFO and then I have an open non-revenue ticket to Newark and I will probably leave the next day and spend a night first with my brother in SFO because he has a lot of my stuff (I already sent a lot of my stuff there)

Just wondering if it will cause any problems at POE, like they might ask me why I flew to SFO if my fiance is in PA (I have my ticket for Newark to show just in case) I think I am just being paranoid but I don't want to take any chances! I don't want to miss a chance to fly for free, I'll be saving so much money so I don't want to purchase a direct flight to Newark.

Let me know, thanks!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Just wondering if it will cause any problems at POE, like they might ask me why I flew to SFO if my fiance is in PA (I have my ticket for Newark to show just in case) I think I am just being paranoid but I don't want to take any chances! I don't want to miss a chance to fly for free, I'll be saving so much money so I don't want to purchase a direct flight to Newark.

Let me know, thanks!

No problem flying to SF first before going on to Newark. Having the POE be different from the final destination is a very common occurrence; CBP will not ask you why you went to SF first.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Everything will be alright. Have a safe trip.

Immigration Guide Based on my Personal Experience: https://www.facebook.com/ahappyeverafterjourney

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys

I am leaving on Feb 21st for the US on a K1 visa. My fiance lives in PA and the closest airport to him is Newark.

My parents both work for Philippine Airlines so I get to fly for free. However, PAL only flies to the California and Vegas so my mom got me a ticket to SFO and then I have an open non-revenue ticket to Newark and I will probably leave the next day and spend a night first with my brother in SFO because he has a lot of my stuff (I already sent a lot of my stuff there)

Let me know, thanks!

I flew into SFO because I could not get a direct flight to EWR because PAL does not fly there..

Not a K-1 process or procedure question... moving thread

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Be prepared for baggage or excess baggae fees for the domestic portion of your trip if you are not connecting right away, in your example you are spending the night. I am not saying you will have them but check to make sure you are not supprised at the airport.

Hi guys

Just wondering if it will cause any problems at POE, like they might ask me why I flew to SFO if my fiance is in PA (I have my ticket for Newark to show just in case) I think I am just being paranoid but I don't want to take any chances! I don't want to miss a chance to fly for free, I'll be saving so much money so I don't want to purchase a direct flight to Newark

Let me know, thanks!

You'll be fine....my POE is California too....but my fiancee lives in NY...there wud be on problem, just prepare your document on hand n your POE to SFO. Goodluck and have a safe trip :)

post-89526-0-73887400-1296322734_thumb.jpg

Yup i know about the excess baggage and im ready for it. haha. 2 extra suitcases!

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

(since we are talking about planes) they won't give a flying .... :rofl: sorry it just came natural.

no, no problem at all. but even if they ask, you have a connecting flight to EWR because PAL doesn't fly to Newark. have a safe trip.

One more question to add!

Where do I line up? At the visitors line? I cannot line up at the US citizen and residents line right because I am only k1? Please confirm!

Thanks!

Edited by messybrownhair
My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

One more question to add!

Where do I line up? At the visitors line? I cannot line up at the US citizen and residents line right because I am only k1? Please confirm!

Thanks!

Confirmed, Visitors/Non-Immigrant. You do not have a stay yet and your visa is conditional upon marriage within 90days. Until you have established residency (USC or LPR) before you can .... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I think we are both correct, I wouldn't want to assume and line up at the USC/resident lane, they might give me a look! lol :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.