visaveteran

Guns, No Pie

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This post is primarily for the RUB "guns and pie" club.

Well, I've recently added to my gun collection. I have given myself a birthday present (one handgun) and sold a gun I don't like so much in order to buy a second handgun.

I currently find myself enamored with older or vintage handguns...yes, I've gone retro. One little older auto I've heard great things about is the Beretta 950 BS Jetfire in .25 cal. They stopped making them in the early 1990s but the current Beretta Bobcat is similar to it. It has that very unique flip-up barrel and is single-action only so you can carry it cocked and locked. I've been looking and finally found one in great condition for the right price. Bought it online which creates hassles but sometimes the local market just doesn't have what I want. This is the gun I gave myself as a gift.

The second gun I bought (after selling off one I had) is an old Colt Detective Special .38 Special. This is the old police snubnose king dating back to 1927. You'll see it in many cops and mobsters movies and TV shows. Mine is from 1967 and I got one that's nickel plated. And the revolver came with a nice hand-tooled black holster that supposedly a real police detective carried the gun in down in Texas. I think the holster is worth some money by itself. It seems these older revolvers that have been hidden away in drawers and gun safes for decades are making a comeback.

I know people will dismiss the .25 cal round but with the little Beretta, that fits in your pocket, you get 9 rounds...the most from any small pocket auto. So I would carry it and feel I had some firepower. The Colt will also be for conceal carry and you get 6 rounds as opposed to 5 rounds from the its primary snubnose competitor...the S&W Chiefs Special (or model 36).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Happy birthday! Belated I'm sure.

And there is nothing quite like knowing exactly what someone wants for their birthday. ;)

When I used to shoot, back in the day (makes me sound old...), I was playing with a tiny .357 my friend had just purchased. We were running .38's through it to see how the kick would be (this gun was smaller than your hand). Being funny my buddy slipped a hot .357 round in before handing the loaded gun back to me for my turn.... *poof* *poof* *poof* *KABOOM* ouch *poof*

Anyway. Sound like some good buys, enjoy!

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One can never have enough guns. Luckily, I have three sons who all hunt and shoot. I'm forever buying something for them. Also, my Veka wants a handgun for her at home. All of mine are for men. She likes my sister's .32 and my ex's 9mm. I still have to post the pictures of Veka at the range with all of the "black guns." She told me that she was now "Spetsnaz." I had to explain to the others what spetsnaz was. They got a kick out of it. I might just start Veka out with a .22. She has shot my Victor .22 but she said it was too heavy for her.

What guns do other wives here like?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One can never have enough guns. Luckily, I have three sons who all hunt and shoot. I'm forever buying something for them. Also, my Veka wants a handgun for her at home. All of mine are for men. She likes my sister's .32 and my ex's 9mm. I still have to post the pictures of Veka at the range with all of the "black guns." She told me that she was now "Spetsnaz." I had to explain to the others what spetsnaz was. They got a kick out of it. I might just start Veka out with a .22. She has shot my Victor .22 but she said it was too heavy for her.

My wife likes my Glock Model 17 (9mm), and the Colt 22 revolver, both light and easy on her.

No longer in the hands of the USCIS, for my wife at least, next up MIL.

Timeline

This post is primarily for the RUB "guns and pie" club.

Well, I've recently added to my gun collection. I have given myself a birthday present (one handgun) and sold a gun I don't like so much in order to buy a second handgun.

I currently find myself enamored with older or vintage handguns...yes, I've gone retro. One little older auto I've heard great things about is the Beretta 950 BS Jetfire in .25 cal. They stopped making them in the early 1990s but the current Beretta Bobcat is similar to it. It has that very unique flip-up barrel and is single-action only so you can carry it cocked and locked. I've been looking and finally found one in great condition for the right price. Bought it online which creates hassles but sometimes the local market just doesn't have what I want. This is the gun I gave myself as a gift.

The second gun I bought (after selling off one I had) is an old Colt Detective Special .38 Special. This is the old police snubnose king dating back to 1927. You'll see it in many cops and mobsters movies and TV shows. Mine is from 1967 and I got one that's nickel plated. And the revolver came with a nice hand-tooled black holster that supposedly a real police detective carried the gun in down in Texas. I think the holster is worth some money by itself. It seems these older revolvers that have been hidden away in drawers and gun safes for decades are making a comeback.

I know people will dismiss the .25 cal round but with the little Beretta, that fits in your pocket, you get 9 rounds...the most from any small pocket auto. So I would carry it and feel I had some firepower. The Colt will also be for conceal carry and you get 6 rounds as opposed to 5 rounds from the its primary snubnose competitor...the S&W Chiefs Special (or model 36).

By far the majority of my guns are oldies but goodies. I inherited a fair collection from both my father and grandfather plus I collect Winchesters and S&W's The Colt Detective Special is a classic and a good one. I always preferred the S&W J frame myself, I know it is only five shots instead of six. I have a M640 Centennial hammerless I carry fairly often. I had a Colt Police Positive Special, basically a 4" barrel version of the Detective Special but gave it to my sister's husband for a house gun.

I have two Colt classic revolvers, the Officers Model Match .38, basically a Colt Python without all the unnecessary foo-fa-rah and a Colt M1909 .45 Colt caliber. The rest are S&W.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I see where Utah is going to name the Browning M1911 their official state gun. I guess state birds, trees, flowers, etc. are all used up so they wanted to start a new category. I wonder how long it will take for other states to adopt their official state gun. The race is on to get your official state gun before some other state nabs it. :rofl:

Timeline

Alla likes to shoot a S&W .22 Kit Gun and I bought her a Remington 1148 Sporting 28 guage. Fancy name for the M1100, she uses for skeet. She has also shot some .38 revolvers and .22 rifles. She has seen me shoot some of the bigger guns and has no interest in that. She likes moving targets (skeet) or "reactive targets" She is not a paper target shooter and bored to death with that. Give her some tin cans and a .22 and she is happy. I suggested eggs, but she will not "shoot at food" though I did get her to shoot at Vanilla Wafer cookies, only because she does not consider cookies from a box to be "food" :lol: The cookies are great "reactive" targets and you don't have to clean up the mess. The birds and animals will do that for you.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I see where Utah is going to name the Browning M1911 their official state gun. I guess state birds, trees, flowers, etc. are all used up so they wanted to start a new category. I wonder how long it will take for other states to adopt their official state gun. The race is on to get your official state gun before some other state nabs it. :rofl:

Around these parts it would be the Remington M742/7400 autoloader. I think everyone has one. I don't. But I have two slide actions, a M760 and a M7600 and I have an older Remington M81 Autoloader in .300 Savage...now THAT's a rifley looking rifle! I love that old thing. It was my Grandfathers and was my favorite as a kid. Heavy and clumsy like a fencepost, but damn it is a no foolin' deer killer. It was also a Browning design.

JM Browning and his father were gunsmiths to the Mormons, it was a foregone conclusion they would choose one of his guns and it is a classic, no doubt.

Gary And Alla

Well, I've recently added to my gun collection.

Awesome! And it sounds like you got two nice pieces as well.

Personally, I just can't get into revolvers. No matter how hard I try, they just don't feel right to me. (Insert popcorn here.)

I watched a new show last night, "Sons of Guns" on Discovery. It's basically American Choppers but with guns. A really, really, REALLY cool show. Weds 9:00PM. Check it out. Top Shot starts in a few weeks too!

And as always, since we're talking guns here, I have to plug the Appleseed Project. Seriously guys, this is something all of you would really enjoy. Check out the website at http://www.appleseedinfo.org and get signed up for an event this year. You'll be glad you did!

My wife likes the .45 but it's too big for her. She must've been doing some research because she's been talking about a .38 recently. (So happy, inside!)

She likes the P-22 quite a bit as well. She also shot the heck out of the 10/22s at Appleseeds and on the family farm and she's deadly with the AR and an AK. Huzzah!

Oh no. Ohio is going to have the Hi-Point for a state gun. Great.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Happy birthday! Belated I'm sure.

Anyway. Sound like some good buys, enjoy!

Thanks AK...my birthday was yesterday, Jan. 26, so not too belated

Enjoyed hearing about your .357 hot round trick! :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Personally, I just can't get into revolvers. No matter how hard I try, they just don't feel right to me. (Insert popcorn here.)

revolvers are good for the larger calibers imo. i have several, a .44 mag and a .22 - the .22 is a "finishing" gun for deer hunting.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

revolvers are good for the larger calibers imo. i have several, a .44 mag and a .22 - the .22 is a "finishing" gun for deer hunting.

Here in Ohio it's illegal to carry a pistol while deer hunting. Recently they allowed concealed carry weapons to be carried for non-sporting purposes but I've never heard of anyone carrying a small pistol to "finish off" the deer.

Then again, that could be because we're required to use shotguns only and can't use rifles. Nothing like hitting a deer at 30 yards with a 12ga. slug.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Then again, that could be because we're required to use shotguns only and can't use rifles. Nothing like hitting a deer at 30 yards with a 12ga. slug.

Really??? That's wrong!!! :o

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Here in Ohio it's illegal to carry a pistol while deer hunting. Recently they allowed concealed carry weapons to be carried for non-sporting purposes but I've never heard of anyone carrying a small pistol to "finish off" the deer.

Since I was a kid working on the famiy ranch in Texas, I rarely went anywhere without my Ruger single six .22 I used it for everything from drilling holes in wood (before good battery drills) to shooting rattlesnakes, jackrabbits. I also carried it while deer hunting, not particularly for the purpose of the coup de grace, but I did do that a few times. Usually the much more powerful rifle I was using to shoot the deer did the job.

I LOVE revolvers, just from a mechanical precision point of view. They are fine machines. Autoloaders are, by comparison, simple and crude. I much prefer to use and shoot revolvers. I had little use for autoloaders until I carried concealed. They are fine for packing a relatively powerful cartridge in a slim, easy to conceal package. But you still can't beat the S&W M640 for "drop in the pocket" ease of carry.

S&W N frames are probably my favorite, or perhaps the S&W Schofield which I think is just far superior to the Colt SAA. N frame Smiths are not good concealed carry handguns, but in cold weather when I am going to wear a heavy coat, I will take along one of them. One of my favorites is a K frame, the M19 with 2.5" barrel and round butt. I have a 100 year old + M1907 .44 Special, AKA the "triplelock" and it is still amazing how precisely timed that machine is. There is not even a scratch on the cylinder bluing because the bolt drops just at the correct time. I have an open bottom pancake holster that is generic N frame holster and it accomodates anything I want to carry from a 3" M629 .44 Magnum to a 6" barrel M27 .357 I also use a similar holster for M1911s, it fits them all and the only thing that changes is the amount of barrel that protrudes out of the bottom

I never bought an L frame and thought they were the perfect solution to a problem that never existed.

For ruggedness it is tough to beat a Ruger of any variety. I have never had any of their double actions because I think they are ugly revolvers and I do not DO ugly revolvers. I have several of the single actions.

I was never much of a handgun hunter, though I did kill a few wild hogs with handguns, more by chance than by choice, my preferred hog gun was a short barrled 12 gauge with slugs. Revolvers were generally chambered for more powerful cartridges, had no issues with bullet typesm etc. Generally better for hunting.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Really??? That's wrong!!! :o

Many states, particularly in the midwest, have that rule. They are too open in terrain and too populated to make it safe to hunt with rifles. Ohio, Indiana, southern Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa are the same. I think you may be able to use a rifle in western Iowa but I am not sure.

Parts of the south also require shotguns but usually also require BUCKSHOT, not slugs! I know a lot of states have changed their old laws about that, but some still have them.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.