missin miss d

Social security application procedure

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Guys,

Got into the US last weekend. I have heard different stories with regards the social security number application. Well I understand the procedure changed as one would have to wait about 3weeks from time of entry to apply for the social security number. Would love to hear from anyone who has recently applied for the social security number and if this is true about the wait cos honestly I do not want to make the journey to the local office only to be told to wait for 3 weeks before making the application.

God bless you as you offer your advice. Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went two days after I landed and they told me to come back in two weeks since my record was not in their system yet. I went back two weeks later and I was verified in the system with no problem.

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

This is not a new change, they always advise that you should wait at least a few weeks to that your entrance into the US is logged unto their computer systems.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Social security will check the immigration database to validate your documents so you have to be in the database. Usually 3 weeks is enough time. If it is entered wrong you have to deal with it though immigration inspection. Joseph needed 3 visits to get it straightened out.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

your best bet is to ask social security based questions in this forum as this is where those highly knowledgeable of the social security process hang out and answer questions:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/115-working-traveling-during-us-immigration/

This forum discusses working and traveling for US immigrants both before and after obtaining US Permanent Residence. Employment Authorization Documents (EAD), Advance Parole (AP) and Social Security Numbers (SSN) are discussed here.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Definitely wait the 2 weeks, it will save you some headaches in the future. Just a tip, if you go and they say you are not in the system then wait another week and go back. Otherwise they will have to verify it manually and that could take 4-6 weeks. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't understand. If you checked off the box on the DS-230 where it asks if an SS# is needed, don't they send you a card automatically in the mail? Do you still have to personally show up at an SSA office to get the card?

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The DS-230 is completed by everyone who receives a K1 or IR-1/CR-1 visa.

If you have an IR-1/ CR-1 and check the box - you WILL receive a SS Card by mail in approximately 2 weeks after entering the US.

If you have a K1 and check the box - you will NOT receive a SS Card. You must apply at the SS Administration Office.

It doesn't make sense that there would be a check box and not everyone who selects this option receives the card by mail. But thats the way its.

Missin Miss D, it looks like you do not need to apply for the card at the office.

Edited by reeses16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I went two days after I landed and they told me to come back in two weeks since my record was not in their system yet. I went back two weeks later and I was verified in the system with no problem.

:thumbs:

Takes about 2 weeks to be entered in their system.

02iqn7wnr.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.