vilsde

N-652 USCIS will send you a written decision

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I went for the Naturalization interview (I'm married to US citizen )and all want well except the officer didn't like my tax return .At the end of interview i receive a N-652 form with info - you passes the US history and English language test ..and USCIS will send you a written decision about your application .

My last 3 years i did my taxes as single - same as my wife .We save some money that way for her college- it was advice from my tax guy .But looks like this complicate my naturalization process.

I have try to explain officer that - we didn't know ...doing the taxes as married will have big impact during the interview so we did it as singles.

Second- officer...didn't even want to listen my excuses and she called me a liar (because we were lying to IRS)...which is kind of truth but in this difficult times we did what we did to help my wife with school.I told her - i;m sorry for that ...and next tax we will do as couple (married).

Now - did anyone have similar experience ? What will happened next ? Should i get the lawyer at this point to help me out?

How long do i have to wait for "written decision" ?

Thanks for any info .

You filed as single and not even as married filing separately? Why would you? You are not single. Sigh!!! It does not look good but hope for the best. I guess it can be perceived as "lying " to the IRS as you are not single and trying to get more refund. Hence this goes against your moral character. Sorry !!! Bad advice from your tax guy.

You actually get more refund for filing married filing jointly, not the other way around. Single taxes are way more expensive... you got horrible advice. And, it was a lie... you could file married filing separately which gives you a return similar to single, but you tell the truth.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would talk to a lawyer and see what they say about that. Lying to the IRS is a big issue. Good Luck.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

You actually get more refund for filing married filing jointly, not the other way around. Single taxes are way more expensive... you got horrible advice. And, it was a lie... you could file married filing separately which gives you a return similar to single, but you tell the truth.

Like i said above...it was for school not for the taxes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi.

First of all. we cant say anything till u recieve the writting decision from the officer. dont hire any attorney or anything now till u receive the decision, as some one above said lets hope for better. i know sometimes u go thru something u dont mean to do it. but it happend, like what the tax guy told u. i know u meant to save some money for ur wife's school. but u have to remember u are married not a single. but the good point u did that u disclose the issue with the Officer, hopfully next week u will recieve the decision..

Keep us update it.

Good Luck. and dont feel bad maybe good news on the way :)

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Hi.

First of all. we cant say anything till u recieve the writting decision from the officer. dont hire any attorney or anything now till u receive the decision, as some one above said lets hope for better. i know sometimes u go thru something u dont mean to do it. but it happend, like what the tax guy told u. i know u meant to save some money for ur wife's school. but u have to remember u are married not a single. but the good point u did that u disclose the issue with the Officer, hopfully next week u will recieve the decision..

Keep us update it.

Good Luck. and dont feel bad maybe good news on the way :)

I agree...:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Have a question about your tax guy, did you pay him for filing your taxes and filling out your return? In that case, he is liable. Or is this something he told you to do off the cuff and you filed the taxes yourself, in this case you are liable?

Yes a strong advantage to filing separately as your individual earnings would put you in a much lower tax bracket. By as a married couple, either have a choice of filing jointly or married filing a separate return. You cannot file as single, they assume two can live cheaply as one, and therefore pay a higher tax rate. It was to our advantage to file jointly as we paid less than filing married with a separate turn. But even if it wasn't to our advantage, would have filed jointly just to make the USCIS happy.

But in either way, we are getting screwed, the hard working people in this country. If you have kids, get a $3,500.00 deduction that simply means you don't have to pay taxes on that amount, but this is after they already took out a huge chunk of your money for FICA taxes. And if you fall in the 10% range, you have an extra 350 bucks in your pocket that translates into supporting a kid to less than one buck a day.

Another huge expense, even exceeding that of your shelter are transportation expenses to and from work or school, positively no deductions on that permitted. And yes, you pay taxes on your very basic needs like food, clothing, and shelter. During WW II a millionaire was in the 90% tax bracket that was cut down to practically nothing. Heard a guy on the news stating that 2% of the super rich population is already paying 57% of the taxes. But what he didn't say was these same 2% has 90% of the money in this country! And a CEO making millions also has a private jet that is 100% tax deductible, where the rest of us can't even deduct 4 bucks per gallon of gas to get to work to make that income. Both the republicans and democrats made these laws, but while we can only afford a buck for a campaign contribution, these super rich folks can easily afford millions.

And while we are paying $14,000.00 to send our daughter to school, we can only deduct $4,000 of that expense, and that doesn't even cover her transportation costs, and that is only if we file a joint return. Can't do that if we file married separately. And only those with hard earned money have to pay FICA taxes, those with unearned income do not. They can put that money in the bank and see a much greater return than what you will ever get from SS benefits. And the SS hopes you will die and get nothing where with that money in the bank, your survivors can get that.

Is this fair? Really doesn't matter, its the law, and you have to abide by it. If you did file as a single, really doubt if you will get a positive response from the USCIS. Their idea of a happy marriage is one where you are paying debts and taxes together, just look at the evidence they require.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Nigel & NickD has said it best! Wait to see what happens. Although you were misled, USICS can look at the factors and possibly make a decision in your favor! However, keep in mind that USICS will obtain and maintains your IRS records. I was not only questioned severely on taxes owed over 10 yrs ago after finishing Grad School during my wife's interview but when I recieved my file after obtaining the visa, I saw that it was sent to Fraud Investigations by NVC! Totally through me offguard...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Yeah they look at taxes very very seriously. All I did was paying a sate tax late and I got the same thing as you did. Now they are investigating "my moral character".

You will probably get a RFE asking for a written explanation (I got this the same week after the interview).

I think it is a pretty big mistake lying for the IRS. You were married not single! Are you sure you didn't just file married filing separately? How can a "tax guy" tell you to lie? I don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.