yido

HOW SHOULD I FILE MY 2010 INCOME TAX

96 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Marckx,

Inorder for you to file a joint return with your wife you will need to attach astatement to your return signed by both of you that you both elect to have yourwife treated as a Resident Alien for 2010. See page 10 of IRS Publication 519 – U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. If you make this election then you must alsoreport your wife’s income on the return. The income will probably be excludable under the Foreign Earned IncomeExclusion so you will have to prepare Form 2555 and attach it to your return.

I havenever prepared a Form W-7 but I would think that a certified copy of your wife’sinternational passport would be sufficient but if I was in your shoes I wouldsubmit copies of both passports just to be sure. You are correct that you will need to get anapostille for the certified copies of your wife’s passports.

So ifyou want to file a joint return with your wife you will need for her to signthe following documents that will be included as part of your tax returnpackage:

1. The Form 1040

2. The Form W-7

3. The election statement for her to be treated asa Resident Alien.

If you decide to file as Married FilingSeparately you will probably have to file a paper tax return since I think mosttax software will require you to enter an ID number for your wife in order toe-file. You are correct that if you file a paper return you should enter “NRA”in the area where you would normally enter your wife’s SSN or ITN.

Carlos, (or whoever knows the answer)

I am thinking of filing married filing jointly. I already sent my wife a statement for her to sign and send me back so that I can sign the statement stating to treat my non-resident wife as a resident in tax year 2010. She will also send me her passport for me to get notarized here. I don't wish to send the original passport to the IRS cause she might be travelling during that time. My question is will she have to send W2 (whatever that is in Canada) to me so that I can write the amount she made in 2010? I know her income is well under the limit of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion so it will get excluded. Can she just tell me the number or do I need proof?

USCIS (204 days)

08-05-10: I-130 package sent USPS Express

08-06-10: Package delivered in Chicago (Received Date) (Priority Date)

08-18-2010: NOA1 (Notice Date) Received text & email with case number, Check Cashed

08-21-10: Hardcopy NOA1

11-02-10 Case Transferred from CSC to TSC

11-03-10 Hardcopy Transfer to TSC Notice

11-24-10 Transferred TSC to USCIS Office

02-14-11 Received e-mail & text for RFE

02-18-11 Hard Copy RFE

02-28-11 Mailed RFE overnight

03-03-11 RFE received by TSC

03-10-2011 NOA2 Approved

03-16-11 TSC mailed package to NVC

03-17-11 Hard Copy NOA2

03-18-01 NVC Received package

NVC (Electronic Processing) (87 days)

03-18-2011 Case number assigned, OPTIN e-mailed

03-21-11 Gave e-mails; received IID# BID#; Submitted DS-261

03-22-11 AOS Invoiced, Sent AOS Payment

03-23-11 AOS shows PAID, e-mailed AOS Package

03-25-11 IV Invoiced, Sent IV Payment

03-28-11 IV Shows PAID

03-30-11 Completed DS-260

04-07-11 OPTIN Accepted; AOS Package resent

04-18-11 Submitted Supporting Documents for IV

04-19-11 Received RFE for AOS

04-23-11 Received False RFE for Missing IV

05-02-11 E-mailed AOS RFE

05-06-11 Resent IV

05-23-11 False RFE for Missing AOS RFE; Resent AOS RFE

06-10-11 SIF

06-13-11 Case Complete

Consulate/Medical

06-14-11 Interview Scheduled for 07-18-11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Carlos, (or whoever knows the answer)

I am thinking of filing married filing jointly. I already sent my wife a statement for her to sign and send me back so that I can sign the statement stating to treat my non-resident wife as a resident in tax year 2010. She will also send me her passport for me to get notarized here. I don't wish to send the original passport to the IRS cause she might be travelling during that time. My question is will she have to send W2 (whatever that is in Canada) to me so that I can write the amount she made in 2010? I know her income is well under the limit of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion so it will get excluded. Can she just tell me the number or do I need proof?

You don't need to attach to your return any proof of your wife's income. You just need to make sure you keep that document for your records. She can just tell you the amount of her earnings.

Apply for ITIN now for your wife if you can wait...it will be less hassle then doing an amended return (which I had to do and it was a pain) later.

:thumbs:

My wife got her ITIN back in 2000. I think it took about 6 weeks for the ITIN. DO NOT believe other posts that say your wife has to be in the States, etc......to get an ITIN. An ITIN is only for IRS purposes. It does not entitle her to SS benefits, etc....It says it right on the ITIN form she receives from the IRS. Also, when she has an ITIN, she can submit a W8-BEN form to a U.S. Bank, and most will let her open an account without a SSN or being a resident. MINE DID!!

NATURALIZATION

02/25/2014 - Eligibility date.

03/03/2014 - N-400 package mailed.

03/11/2014 - Check cashed.

03/14/2014 - NOA received.

04/09/2014 - Biometrics.

04/28/2014 - In-Line for Interview - 6 hours later Interview Scheduled!!

05/02/2014 - Interview Letter received. (Mailed on 29 April)

05/26/2014 - 3 year anniversary.

06/02/2014 - Interview. PASSED!

09/11/2014 - Oath Ceremony.

09/16/2014 - Updated driver licence and registered to vote.

10/08/2014 - Updated Social Security

10/14/2014 - Applied for U.S. Passport

10/27/2014 - U.S. Passport arrived in mail (13 days - DID NOT expedite)

10/30/2014 - Naturalization Certificate arrived in mail (was not folded)

MY IMMIGRATION JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

does anyone know if you have to use all capital letters if you are filling out the form on your computer or can you use lowercase?

7/2/10- NOA1

2/9/11- NOA2 (transferred to Texas)

NVC

2/28/11- case number received

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/12/11- expedite to Bogota consulate approved!!!

3/14/11- left NVC to Bogota for further processing

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

3/18/11- packet 3 emailed to Bogota consulate, email confirmation on March 23

3/31/11- Interview date! Approved!!!!!!

Keep the faith, everything works out for the very best

I just Call the IRS here is the INFO i got from and Officer

Options

1) Yes you can File a W-7 (IRS ID Temp NUmber) If your spouse is Outside the US your selection will be E . You must enter your SS#.

a) NO E- File

b) Paper must be send w a certify copy of the W-7 and your spouse

must enter her signature ( send document to her country for

Signature and return to you)

c)They must include a certify copy of Passaport.

2) You can file Head of Household and e- file You wont be commiting fraud wont affect your USICS Status.

PD : For those of you that as me have a Kid w. your Wife . You can claim your Kid however it must be on the qualify area Relative because if they are US citizen w. a US SS# they have not live w. you as is my case . Remember this one is making sure nobody else can claim them .

Hope this will help it took me 1:30 min to get true the IRS .

Waitting game in Process

4 months 5 days CSC NOA 1

Touche 10/26/10

NOA2 ??????

I-130 For Wife

I-130 For Wife baby girl

Regards

VJ's

Timeline

certified copy of W7??? Why? I have never heard that.

7/2/10- NOA1

NVC

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

Ii was looking for this Blog provably put in the info that i got on a wrong one before .

Call The IRS this Morning 1:30 Min Wait

Options for your 2010 Tax return

A) Marrie

1) ( W 7 must be complete Select Option E and enter you SS#( Petitioner SS#)

2) Document W-7 must have wife/husband Signature(Benefisiary)

3) Notarize form and get a notarize copy of husband / Wife Passport.

4) Filing must be done on paper NO E-File.

5) Return may take over 8 weeks to come back .

( In the case signature cant be obtain due to delivery Issues and distance )

B) Head of Household.

1) Is not conside Fraud ( You are the US citizen and nobody will be claiming you spouse ) and you are a Household . appart due to the SC ,NVC or Embassy

2) You can E- File No problem.

3) You can do and ammentment later if you want. If you dont it will not be a Issue .You just lose 400 dollars.

4) Will not affect your case on the SC or NVC.

Note : Having a Kid w. your better half

1) Your Kid must have their US C. And have a SS#

2) As your KId is out of the country you can only claim them as a Qualify Relative. Make sure nobody else will claim them .

HOPE this will help it came straight the IRS officer .

Waitting Game in process

I-130 TO chicago Lock Box 10/11/10

I-130 TO CSC 10/18/10

NOA 1 797 10/20/10 w. 10/18/10 date

Touched 10/26/10

NOA 2 ??/??/??

Hope this will help

Timeline

"Applicants should complete Form W-7 for 2010 and attach their supporting documents (I-20, passport and I-94) and take to an IRS Acceptance Agent or provide the completed Form W7 along with certified or notarized copies of their I-20, passport and visa pages and I-94. Form W-7 and the certified or notarized copies of their documents must now be attached to your federal tax return."

Nowhere on the instructions does it say that form W7 has to be notarized- only documents that accompany the form (passport, driver license, birth certificate, etc) have to be notarized. The standalone form does not need to be taken to a notary.

7/2/10- NOA1

NVC

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Has anybody had any issues with local IRS agents not accepting Apostille and

requesting the real passport for Tax!

I went to LA local IRS and first champ accepted but some fat old fart

claimed that he does this thing last 15 years and only a real passport

accepted! And diclined to discuss it with me even though I tried to show him

sentences in the booklet he gave me!

Anybody with a similiar experience or this LA office is full of uneducated staff!

I will try another office tomorrow, or shoudl sent it to Austin directly!

I thought local IRS is better but my experience so far after two visits

is worst than visiting the hell!

Is anybody have experience how can I file a complain for the staff in LA local IRS?

You guys are so good that you must know how to do this :devil:

"Applicants should complete Form W-7 for 2010 and attach their supporting documents (I-20, passport and I-94) and take to an IRS Acceptance Agent or provide the completed Form W7 along with certified or notarized copies of their I-20, passport and visa pages and I-94. Form W-7 and the certified or notarized copies of their documents must now be attached to your federal tax return."

Nowhere on the instructions does it say that form W7 has to be notarized- only documents that accompany the form (passport, driver license, birth certificate, etc) have to be notarized. The standalone form does not need to be taken to a notary.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anybody had any issues with local IRS agents not accepting Apostille and

requesting the real passport for Tax!

I went to LA local IRS and first champ accepted but some fat old fart

claimed that he does this thing last 15 years and only a real passport

accepted! And diclined to discuss it with me even though I tried to show him

sentences in the booklet he gave me!

Anybody with a similiar experience or this LA office is full of uneducated staff!

I will try another office tomorrow, or shoudl sent it to Austin directly!

I thought local IRS is better but my experience so far after two visits

is worst than visiting the hell!

Is anybody have experience how can I file a complain for the staff in LA local IRS?

You guys are so good that you must know how to do this :devil:

What did you take with you? Did you take a notarized copy of the passport with W7? I sent my 1040 with a notarized copy of my wifes passport that was notarized here in the U.S., W7 and 2555 all attached to the back side of the 1040 and mailed it to Texas. When you file your 1040 you don't need an ITIN. You can just file and request for ITIN at the same time.

USCIS (204 days)

08-05-10: I-130 package sent USPS Express

08-06-10: Package delivered in Chicago (Received Date) (Priority Date)

08-18-2010: NOA1 (Notice Date) Received text & email with case number, Check Cashed

08-21-10: Hardcopy NOA1

11-02-10 Case Transferred from CSC to TSC

11-03-10 Hardcopy Transfer to TSC Notice

11-24-10 Transferred TSC to USCIS Office

02-14-11 Received e-mail & text for RFE

02-18-11 Hard Copy RFE

02-28-11 Mailed RFE overnight

03-03-11 RFE received by TSC

03-10-2011 NOA2 Approved

03-16-11 TSC mailed package to NVC

03-17-11 Hard Copy NOA2

03-18-01 NVC Received package

NVC (Electronic Processing) (87 days)

03-18-2011 Case number assigned, OPTIN e-mailed

03-21-11 Gave e-mails; received IID# BID#; Submitted DS-261

03-22-11 AOS Invoiced, Sent AOS Payment

03-23-11 AOS shows PAID, e-mailed AOS Package

03-25-11 IV Invoiced, Sent IV Payment

03-28-11 IV Shows PAID

03-30-11 Completed DS-260

04-07-11 OPTIN Accepted; AOS Package resent

04-18-11 Submitted Supporting Documents for IV

04-19-11 Received RFE for AOS

04-23-11 Received False RFE for Missing IV

05-02-11 E-mailed AOS RFE

05-06-11 Resent IV

05-23-11 False RFE for Missing AOS RFE; Resent AOS RFE

06-10-11 SIF

06-13-11 Case Complete

Consulate/Medical

06-14-11 Interview Scheduled for 07-18-11

Timeline

I did have Apostille certified copy of my wifes passport. Instead of sending it directly

I chose to go to the local office since once they accept I know it is Ok instead of waiting 10 weeks! Los Angeles office is full of uneducated staff and

many hardly works so very long lines! took more than 2 hours and one old staff claimed he

is an expert on this subject and claimed the only way to do is to bring the original passaport! I tried to show him sentences from the ITIN booklet he throw at me but he did not listen nor read!

This morning I went to Long Beach branch, much better experience, no lines and very

helpful staff and they accepted it. They gave a questinaire about my experience and I

complained about LA branch. I am also thinking sending and raising issues about LA

branch, LA office is a third country style, run by total idiots and they hardly do

any work and there is long long lines!

I couldn't notarize my wife passport in US since she is not allowed to come here.

It is good to be a Canadian :thumbs:

What did you take with you? Did you take a notarized copy of the passport with W7? I sent my 1040 with a notarized copy of my wifes passport that was notarized here in the U.S., W7 and 2555 all attached to the back side of the 1040 and mailed it to Texas. When you file your 1040 you don't need an ITIN. You can just file and request for ITIN at the same time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Burundi
Timeline

Apply for ITIN now for your wife if you can wait...it will be less hassle then doing an amended return (which I had to do and it was a pain) later.

i did the mistake ( I regret taking the advice from my tax preparer) and filed single, right now am waiting for my wife to send her docs so that I can apply for the ITIN, eventually I do the tax amendment before her day of interview! What is the hassle I should expect with the amendment??? help please, am nervous

Nov 04, 2007 I met my fiancee in Dar-es-salaam, Tanzania

Feb 20, 2010 We got married in Dar-es-salaam, Tanzania

Oct 29, 2010 I mailed I-130

Oct 31, 2010 I-130 arrived at USCIS

Nov 02, 2010 NOA1 written

Nov 08, 2010 Received NOA1 hard copy "priority date 10/31/2010"

Mar 14, 2011 Touch

Mar 23, 2011 USCIS approves the petition

Mar 24, 2011 Touch

Mar 28, 2011 Received NOA2 hard copy "APPROVED" Many thanks to God!!!!

Mar 31, 2011 NVC received file from USCIS

Apr 02, 2011 Received forst e-mail from NVC with AOS bill included

Apr 03, 2011 Paid AOS bill

Apr 05, 2011 AOS fee status "PAID"

Apr 06, 2011 Received AOS package via e-mail and IV bill generated

Apr 08, 2011 IV bill paid

Apr 12, 2011 IV bill status "PAID"

Apr 14, 2011 AVR "IV package is being generated"

Apr 18, 2011 mailed AOS

Apr 29, 2011 asked NVC if AOS ahs been received, answer "wait till 20 days from mailing date"

May 02, 2011 E-mail form NVC RFE "needs to send DS-230"oooh!!!! Thank God am working on it!thought was something big!

May 11, 2011 I mailed DS-230 and supporting civil docs via USPS

May 16, 2011 called NVC to ask if they have received D-230. answer, same ####### "wait 20 business days from mailing date" uughhhhh!!!

May 20, 2011 Case closed at NVC

May 21, 2011 Log on NVC payment system and get SIF.... OMG!!! so nervous!!!

May 29, 2011 Received Email IV packet... Interview July 6th, 2011, nervous to death!!!

Jul 06, 2011 Interview**** APPROVED!!!!! YEEHAWWWW!!!! and Thanks to God!!!!!

Jul 13, 2011 VISA picked up at the embassy

Jul 18, 2011 Entry to the US, POE JFK NYC

Timeline

If you gonna amend, maybe you should consider waiting for your wife come here and

get SS# and then file teh amendment!

I am not sure, You should call/ask IRS whether you can request ITIN with amendment?

i did the mistake ( I regret taking the advice from my tax preparer) and filed single, right now am waiting for my wife to send her docs so that I can apply for the ITIN, eventually I do the tax amendment before her day of interview! What is the hassle I should expect with the amendment??? help please, am nervous

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.