KittyPollitt

The hoping not to be denied at Casablanca thread

753 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yep, sorry, I realized I typo'd that after I hit post. I edited to correct that Zaytoona's SO was approved.

Someone raised the point earlier, I can't remember if it was in this thread or another, that Casablanca suggests getting to know someone at least a year on its fraud warning. I wonder if they are looking harder at timing? And I wonder if they only look at the time before the filing started. It didn't seem like they took your 2nd visit into account at all, unfortunately. :(

I think that number of visits and time knowing each other seems to be a HUGE factor in their decision making. One 2 week visit, in most cases, ain't gonna cut it. Getting married on the first visit is a big red flag (but one that has been overcome in the past) But as you've pointed out from Monica's case- number of visits and lengths of visits isn't by far all they look at. There are many factors that go into their decision making, and it seems that of late, with K1 cases, they've been trying to do the job of the AOS interviewers by giving out denials to "test" the validity of a relationship by seeing if it can last through a second petition.

As it is in any MENA country as well as South Asian countries, an older woman marrying a much younger man is out of the cultural norm (although, DOS seems much more concerned about protecting older women with MENA men than they do older men with young FSU and SE Asian girls, as is demonstrated by the number of approvals seen in the RUB and East and Pacific Asia forums on VJ). Ability and willingness of a woman to have children is a offspin of the age difference factor. In MENA cultures, young men want to have children, its a matter of family honor. Differences in education levels and socio economic backgrounds can be a red flag too, to Casa. "What would an American woman with a masters degree have in common with a Moroccan man living on a sheep farm in the Atlas mountains?" they might ask.

Also, they read chat logs in detail. Be careful what you let them see. If your fiance has ever asked you to send money in a chat, don't let them see that. I'd be one to say, give them a little bit from times of milestones in the relationship. Let them read about the two of you making plans together, let them read about you discussing common interests, throw in an argument or two, with the subsequent make ups. Show them a relationship, but don't show them too much- with all respect, I think Monica gave them too much and it may have adversely effected the outcome of her petition. There's a fine line between providing evidence and appearing to overcompensate, and in this situation, there's no room for second chances when it comes to this. I'm having a hard time with it myself.

And finally, these consulate guys read body language like a mofo and can see through insincerity. Little white lies and exaggerations that might fly in a job interview are going to be noticed by a CO. As much as we'd like to think that we've got our men well trained to go through these interviews- lets face it, they're men, and they have a whole different way of thinking than we do. How many times have we WISHED we could go into the interview ourselves to represent our relationship before the CO? These poor Moroccan guys have NO IDEA what they're up against when it comes to the US Government. They've never had to deal with them before. I have made it a point to try to familiarize my SO with the way our Government works, from an American perspective. I've explained to him in detail the immigration process and the bureaucracy behind it, the reasons WHY his interview is going to be difficult, and what these COs think about him when he steps through the door. Knowledge is power and we need to teach these boys. LOL.

Anyway, enough of my personal opinions.. we'll see how well my strategy works next week when my poor baby will be subjected to this madness :crying:

Timeline

With all due respect, I think that if the guy asks you to send money, it's time to re-think the man, not the chat logs. Just my opinion!

:yes: i agree, but not everyone is of that opinion- it happens..

Edited by squeaky580

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

The only thing we can do is pray for the best for everyone..yes some are not real relationships but it's real to one of them and thats the person that will hurt if it's fraud..we can not help whom we fall in love with but can only hope to God that this is real for us..when you look at how long you must wait when your case is sent back you can only see how much you really love each other..It is not an easy situation to go through..you will have bad days and fight with your husband..feel so frustrated and angry..want to yell your head off..but that is why we have VJ to vent too..we are all adults and know what we are getting ourselves into..no one holds a gun to our heads we made the choice to go through the journey..so what ever may happen is not really in our hands..once we have made this choice we leave it in the hands of Consultants..they make the choice for us even if it's true love or not..what hurts so much is when two people really love each other and they have to wait so long to be husband and wife..but hang in there God is good and this will make us all stronger people..

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

As Sarah said...I DID give too much evidence at the interview...but we can't take that back...all we can do is warn others so they can learn from our mistakes. But everything for a reason I say :) Some good news on our side though...we FINALLY got a reply to the Senator's office from the Consulate!!!

Thank you for your inquiry on behalf of your constituent Ms. Monica XXXXXXXX regarding her fiancé’s I-129F petition. Mr. XXXXXX’s visa has not been denied. His case was returned to the Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on June 14, 2010 for further review. Due to the personal nature of the information, the file was sent via registered diplomatic pouch (Reg # XXXXXXX).

Because of the issues you and others before you have raised, I instructed all adjudicating officers several months ago to extend the validity of any returned K-1 petitions for the maximum period allowable by regulation, so that the interested parties would have an opportunity to respond to any issues of concern in the return memorandum.

The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services should be contacting your constituent to discuss the return of the petition to their office. However, if she wishes to seek information on the status of the case, she should contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283. She is advised to wait a few weeks before contacting USCIS to allow them to receive and review the file.

I hope the above information will be of use to constituent. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

So it looks like we will have a chance to fight back. Our Senator's Office is staying on top of our case...So glad she is all over it!!! So its looks like we will wait and see what happens with this first. Any pointers would be great!! I'm just excited we have a CHANCE now...I'd given up any hope on this visa.

Lets keep the good news comin everybody!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Monica :)

VJ Timeline (see "About Me" for full timeline)

1/2009 Met Online

11/2009 1st visit to Morocco (2 weeks), Officially Proposed, Engagement Party!!

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

2/26/2010 NOA2 APPROVED!!!

3/2010 2nd trip to Morocco (3.5 months)

5/18/2010 Interview Results: told to wait for call

6/14/2010 Visa denied per Section 221(g)

9/27/2010 NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) Received

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

2/2/2011 Rebuttle Interview: APPROVED!!!

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

4/8/2011 Arrive in US through JFK (20 mins total time)

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

As Sarah said...I DID give too much evidence at the interview...but we can't take that back...all we can do is warn others so they can learn from our mistakes. But everything for a reason I say :) Some good news on our side though...we FINALLY got a reply to the Senator's office from the Consulate!!!

Thank you for your inquiry on behalf of your constituent Ms. Monica XXXXXXXX regarding her fiancé’s I-129F petition. Mr. XXXXXX’s visa has not been denied. His case was returned to the Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on June 14, 2010 for further review. Due to the personal nature of the information, the file was sent via registered diplomatic pouch (Reg # XXXXXXX).

Because of the issues you and others before you have raised, I instructed all adjudicating officers several months ago to extend the validity of any returned K-1 petitions for the maximum period allowable by regulation, so that the interested parties would have an opportunity to respond to any issues of concern in the return memorandum.

The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services should be contacting your constituent to discuss the return of the petition to their office. However, if she wishes to seek information on the status of the case, she should contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283. She is advised to wait a few weeks before contacting USCIS to allow them to receive and review the file.

I hope the above information will be of use to constituent. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

So it looks like we will have a chance to fight back. Our Senator's Office is staying on top of our case...So glad she is all over it!!! So its looks like we will wait and see what happens with this first. Any pointers would be great!! I'm just excited we have a CHANCE now...I'd given up any hope on this visa.

Lets keep the good news comin everybody!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Monica,

My senator received the same letter from the Consulate in response to my file being sent back. Two months later it arrived at USCIS and since then.....nothing. There was a touch on April 18, but no update. When I call I am told to wait and call back in 60 more days.....everytime. I even sent a FIA request and still nothing. Nothing...nothing...nothing.

I might be missing something, and I don't want to dash your hopes Monica. But, that seems like their standard form letter on returned I-129's. They write what can happen in theory but the reality is the USCIS will probably just let it expire. Am I not seeing something, or understanding something?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have mentioned this many times....our case never got reviewed. We had the impression that we would get reviewed but that never happened. There is a good chance the case will expire.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

I have been secretly rooting for Sarah and Monica for some time now....I just remember how it feels before one gets the visa and so come back to VJ (often MENA, though Turkey isn't exactly MENA, it def doesn't feel like Europe either)and see how all the couples are doing and am going to stop lurking so much lol.

I want to wish you the best Sarah in your interview next week! You and your family are overdue to be together in America already!

Monica, I am sorry you were denied, but keep fighting. Your case does sound like a case of providing too much info and I think you (or was it someone else) hit the nail on the head with Casa wanting to "test" you through a denial. Sometimes things are not fair. Ugh

My hubby and I had some red flags for sure, but we made it through and are still making it! I have a friend who is in obviously "fraudulent" relationship...by that I mean I think she is getting screwed for a GC and doesn't care about the glaring evidence in her face. Now this is the type that needs to not make it past the interview as opposed to genuine people being denied.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic!

Best wishes and good luck all of you!

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Timeline

Hey ya'll, I wanted to throw an important bit of info everyone's way- after Linda's experience the other day, I thought I'd call the consulate to inquire about them needing an i 864 for a K1. I was told that the i 134 is no longer being accepted for K1's, and that the i 864 is now a REQUIRED document at interview for K1s, though it's not listed in the packet 3.. So for those with interviews coming up soon- send that i 864 to your SO and save the potential delay.. Thank God for express mail!

Sarah

Timeline

Thanks, Sarah, for collecting so much information on what you've observed coming out of Casa. I'm still sifting through it and I'll probably comment more later.

Just wanted to ask at this point if anyone had ideas about whether the consulate takes into account things that happen AFTER the initial packet is filed? Monica's case makes me suspect perhaps they don't, or at least don't count it as much, but perhaps they really were just suspicious about something they saw in a chat. I admit I'm particularly interested in this topic because I've visited twice but I have another visit scheduled in a few months, and I've been considering holding off on the petition until after that's done so it will "count." But since either way that 3rd trip will be before the interview, if they consider all 3 equally then I'd rather get the ball rolling now.

FWIW, I respect everyone's right to make their own decisions, but I would also strongly urge someone whose SO has asked for (or not "asked" but hinted around and willingly accepted) money to think hard about the relationship. Just advice, take it or leave it.

Timeline

Thanks, Sarah, for collecting so much information on what you've observed coming out of Casa. I'm still sifting through it and I'll probably comment more later.

Just wanted to ask at this point if anyone had ideas about whether the consulate takes into account things that happen AFTER the initial packet is filed? Monica's case makes me suspect perhaps they don't, or at least don't count it as much, but perhaps they really were just suspicious about something they saw in a chat. I admit I'm particularly interested in this topic because I've visited twice but I have another visit scheduled in a few months, and I've been considering holding off on the petition until after that's done so it will "count." But since either way that 3rd trip will be before the interview, if they consider all 3 equally then I'd rather get the ball rolling now.

FWIW, I respect everyone's right to make their own decisions, but I would also strongly urge someone whose SO has asked for (or not "asked" but hinted around and willingly accepted) money to think hard about the relationship. Just advice, take it or leave it.

No, they do count what happens after filing... That's why people recommend sending your SO to interview with a stack of chat logs- the chat logs should be from the time the petition is filed up to the interview, to prove an ongoing relationship.. I just guess in Monica's case, her visit wasn't enough to disuade them from other issues they found..

Timeline

Is this equally for both men and women?

I really am curious since this is the second post today about money....why would it matter so much?

Do you mean this under any circumstances?

Am also curious about something else since money seems to be an issue...... has anyone gotten or plan to get a pre-nup prior to marriage?

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

No, they do count what happens after filing... That's why people recommend sending your SO to interview with a stack of chat logs- the chat logs should be from the time the petition is filed up to the interview, to prove an ongoing relationship.. I just guess in Monica's case, her visit wasn't enough to disuade them from other issues they found..

Wish i know that the "other issues" were :( And I know it will probably just come & expire....but all i was saying is that there is a CHANCE that it might now. I know CSC has been changing their ways, and my Senator's office seems to be on top of it...so I'm just HOPING that will help. I know that it might not, but I won't give up fighting or hope. We probably won't be able to pull off the getting married this yr, so AFTER I find out why we were denied, we will probably refile the K1...atleast if it's denied again we can do the CR1 immediately after. And I also remember reading that they can't deny you for the same thing twice if the embassy sends it back & USCIS reaffirms it (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If anyone HAS gotten their case reaffirmed please let me know how you did it....I know it happens...Hoping never hurt anyone :) Figure we are waiting till we can refile anyway.

VJ Timeline (see "About Me" for full timeline)

1/2009 Met Online

11/2009 1st visit to Morocco (2 weeks), Officially Proposed, Engagement Party!!

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

2/26/2010 NOA2 APPROVED!!!

3/2010 2nd trip to Morocco (3.5 months)

5/18/2010 Interview Results: told to wait for call

6/14/2010 Visa denied per Section 221(g)

9/27/2010 NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) Received

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

2/2/2011 Rebuttle Interview: APPROVED!!!

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

4/8/2011 Arrive in US through JFK (20 mins total time)

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.