Manowar

Self Sponsoring?

10 posts in this topic

It doesnt work that way...the petitioner has to sponsor you. Besides I think you would have to have like 3x the poverty line in cash to not have to make the poverty line for the I-134.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You would need at least 5 times 125% poverty line. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 67,000 in assets. Also would need to show how this will be transferred to the USA.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Greetings!

I'm just curious if I can sponsor myself - as I have roughly $25,000 saved up

If not, this would not be a big deal, my fiances dad would probably end up doing it anyway.

Check to make sure your embassy allows co sponsors. Manila & Thailand for example do not in most cases.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check to make sure your embassy allows co sponsors. Manila & Thailand for example do not in most cases.

Montreal and Vancouver DO allow co-sponsors but excellent advice

OP - the USC needs to be your sponsor

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You would need at least 5 times 125% poverty line. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 67,000 in assets. Also would need to show how this will be transferred to the USA.

yeah that's what it was..I knew it was definately a lot of cash that would be needed.

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greetings!

I'm just curious if I can sponsor myself - as I have roughly $25,000 saved up

If not, this would not be a big deal, my fiances dad would probably end up doing it anyway.

Actually, for the VISA (not AOS) there is no provision against you self sponsoring. The directives to consulates from the DOS specifically allows it, actually. The consulate needs to be satisfied that you will not become a public charge. There actually is no specific requirement for what constitutes that and it is left to the consulates to decide. I know of a few cases, and all were in consulates of countries where the native language was English, where the consulate DID issue visas to persons it determined were not likely to become public charges because of there professional capacity through education and the fact they spoke English.

That said...get a co-sponsor if you want to be successful.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Actually, for the VISA (not AOS) there is no provision against you self sponsoring. The directives to consulates from the DOS specifically allows it, actually. The consulate needs to be satisfied that you will not become a public charge. There actually is no specific requirement for what constitutes that and it is left to the consulates to decide. I know of a few cases, and all were in consulates of countries where the native language was English, where the consulate DID issue visas to persons it determined were not likely to become public charges because of there professional capacity through education and the fact they spoke English.

That said...get a co-sponsor if you want to be successful.

Was that for a fiancee or family based visa? Just wondering because if you look at the affidavit of support, it would look funny if you put your name there and that you were sponsoring yourself. Not saying you are wrong, since there are always exceptions.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In some consulates an I-134 is not even required... that is why a consulate specific answer is needed

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.