VinceN

Should I, the petitioner, recieve anything?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Greetings all, this is my first post so I want to start out by saying hi to everybody.

I've been reading on the site about the K-1 process. I started the process for my fiance on July 26th and On Dec 26th I recieved the approval from USICS, shortly after my faince recieved her instructional package in which they instructed her to send in the DS-2001 and DS-230 Part I, they also instructed what she will need to prepare while waiting for the interview date. However, they did not mention about the petioner beside the Affidavit of Support (FromI-864), so I'm wondering what else do I need to prepare, or if any? I'm wondering b/c my fiance has a bad habbit of listening to everybody she talks to and it seems like they told her I would need all kinda of paperwork including criminal records ect ect.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Not sure if you will need criminal records, unless their is a concern there however your fiance is correct that you should obtain any additional evidence that might be of concern when she interviews. The consulate or NVC will never say to bring certain things but at the time of the interview will pull tricks out the hat that may result in a denial or tell you to provide additonal evidence and return for a 2nd interview. It is better to be super prepared than to get there and find you will need something that you could have easy gotten, if made aware...

I read VJ regularly and we were very prepared for any possible antics used at the interview and the additional evidence proved extremely necessary and provided the proof needed without having to return!

Congrats on the approval. You as the petitioner will not receive anything but the NAO2. The rest is on your fiance. With my now husband, what I sent him was copies of the entire K1 package (just in case he needed any of the information), a copy of the approval, and my affidavit of support. I also sent him some him some additional "proof of relationship" to take with him to the interview, like email threads, phone records and receipts. Good luck!

Jackie

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You need to provide her with some documents, most notably the affidavit of support and supporting documents to it.

Go to the website of the specific embassy she is going to to get detailed instructions on what you need to send her, and while you are there, find out what she needs to do as well.

Each embassy has their own list of requirements.

When in doubt, give her too much. She can always keep an unnecessary document in her file, whereas if she does not have enough, I am sure you can see the problem there.

Your signature needs to be original, so yu can't e-mail this stuff. Do yourself a favor and spend the $100.00 on DHL to make sure it gets there..

And while you are on the embassy's website, see if you can glean her interview date from it.

Timeline

Thanks for the quick replies guys!! As far as evidence goes, I'm pretty confident about that. She will bringing the whole picture album from our traditional Vietnamese engagement party, all the pictures of us with a brief description for each picture, every single one of our yahoo conversation, phone bills, all the emails, she might even need a Uhaul to transport all this stuff. I'm just a bit confused at what she's been asking me to prepare, such as proof of marital status, criminal record, bank statement and a whole lot of other seemingly irrelevant stuff. She will be going through the Consul in Vietnam, HCM city to be more specific, I'm hoping to hear from somebody who has gone through them personally.

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Thanks for the quick replies guys!! As far as evidence goes, I'm pretty confident about that. She will bringing the whole picture album from our traditional Vietnamese engagement party, all the pictures of us with a brief description for each picture, every single one of our yahoo conversation, phone bills, all the emails, she might even need a Uhaul to transport all this stuff. I'm just a bit confused at what she's been asking me to prepare, such as proof of marital status, criminal record, bank statement and a whole lot of other seemingly irrelevant stuff. She will be going through the Consul in Vietnam, HCM city to be more specific, I'm hoping to hear from somebody who has gone through them personally.

Hie VinceN, since you're new I assume that you've not been to the Vietnam forum here on VJ? If so, do check it out - you'd find many seniors who have been through the consulate in HCMC, especially people like JimVaPhuong. They'll be able to prepare you and your fiancee for the interview. All the best to you both. HCMC isn't an easy consulate to pass through but I am sure if you are well prepared, everything will be fine.

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Be very careful of well intentioned friends and family. There's a lot of false information that gets passed around in Vietnam, and its widely accepted as fact. A very common misconception is that a K1 beneficiary will be guaranteed a visa if they get pregnant first. Obviously, it's not true, but most girls have heard it at least once, often from a friend who 'knows someone' who failed and they're sure it was because they weren't pregnant.

There is overwhelming evidence that the consular officer will make their initial decision before your fiancee even steps up to the window for the interview. Lots of applicants have seen the paper they ultimately ended up walking out of the consulate with - pink, blue, green, or white - sitting in front of the consular officer when the interview began. This means that the likelihood of them looking at that huge pile of evidence, or even allowing her to submit it, is slim. Your best bet would have been to pack some of that evidence in with the I-129F petition. She should bring it all anyway, though. If they happen to ask for something it's important that she have it.

While there are a few consulates that ask for an I-864 for a K1 visa application, the consulate in HCM isn't one of them. You'll need to submit an I-134. If your income is sufficient then you should only need a transcript of your last tax return and a recent letter of employment. Bank letters or statements are only useful if you need to use assets (cash in the bank) to offset a shortage in income. If you need a joint sponsor then you're probably screwed as HCM rarely accepts them for K visas.

She should have the original copy of any document you submitted with the petition, like a birth certificate or divorce decree. It's fairly rare that they ask to inspect one of those documents, but they do have the authority to ask. They do have the authority to ask for just about any sort of evidence, but what they ask for (if they ask for anything at all) will depend on what particular fraud angle they are suspecting. We'd need to know more about your specific situation and relationship history in order to offer any insight about that.

Spend some time in the Vietnam regional forum. The members there will help you identify what red flags you might have in your case, and what (if anything) you can do at this point to help mitigate them.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

First of, thank you so much for all the information Jim!! You answered bunch of questions I had all in one post.

Secondly, can somebody move this to the Vietnam regional forum so there wouldn't be a need for a second thread, thank you.

Here is our story:

I met her through a relative last March, we chatted constantly after that. I decided to visit her in June. We planned to spend that time together to see if we have chemistry in real life like we did online. Everything went extremely well so we decided to get engaged before I had to go back to the states. I came back and visited her again during thanksgiving and our petition was approved the day after christmas. The only obstacle I can see is the fact that she interviewed for a student visa roughly two years ago, she was declined due to "financial reasons", or so I was told. But that was two years ago so should I be concern?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.