Mariye & Ky

After the wedding... What do we call you, Mrs____?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Don't knock it til you have tried it.

Desiree Hampton bin Laden has a certain ring to it

or quadruple !

check this !! Jane Felix-Browne-bin-Laden !!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2056380.ece

moresheep400100.jpg

or quadruple !

check this !! Jane Felix-Browne-bin-Laden !!

http://www.timesonli...icle2056380.ece

I don't know if that counts as a quadruple -- definitely a triple. And Maven Smythe-Jones-de Winter sounds just too ridiculous to me.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

I don't know if that counts as a quadruple -- definitely a triple. And Maven Smythe-Jones-de Winter sounds just too ridiculous to me.

Far better than :

Shanequa Trixabelle Cruelle de Ville

otherwise known as 'chucky'

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Poor woman. :(

My surname is 4 letters as many of my grisly coarse barbaric right wing hill billy hick reactionary nativist gun totin' semi-literate immigrant hunting debating partners on the politics forum can testify without even knowing it haha !

(They would actually like that description and see it as an endorsement and put it on their pick up truck bumpers)

So is my first name of course

Signing cheques and filling in forms is a doddle

'The-Red' isnt my real surname of course but Rufus sounded a bit French which it was

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2603983.ece

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

ROFL... omg, you all are just crazy! LOL Why I just love you nut cases.... Alan, most certainly you are quite entertaining today!

Alan, I am going to call you Ophelia Heiney from now on! Just a little term of endearment from me! :luv:

sparkling-usa-flag.gifMarivalentine60.gifKadir Turkey%20flag-L-anim.gif

Timeline

ROFL... omg, you all are just crazy! LOL Why I just love you nut cases.... Alan, most certainly you are quite entertaining today!

Alan, I am going to call you Ophelia Heiney from now on! Just a little term of endearment from me! :luv:

This guys sister is called Ophelia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Balls

moresheep400100.jpg

My surname is 4 letters as many of my grisly coarse barbaric right wing hill billy hick reactionary nativist gun totin' semi-literate immigrant hunting debating partners on the politics forum can testify without even knowing it haha !

(They would actually like that description and see it as an endorsement and put it on their pick up truck bumpers)

So is my first name of course

Signing cheques and filling in forms is a doddle

Unbelievably jealous. My full name, including middle name and hyphen (but not spaces) is 26 letters long. An entire effin' alphabet long! Unfair. Think I will change my name to Ima Fox by deed poll.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Mari, I am enjoying reading the replies to your post, this is an issue that I have been pondering. I have had my name for 48 years....I think I might be a bit attached to it lol. This is my first marriage so I never had to give this much consideration, although if I honestly think about it, I have always thought that a woman assumes the man’s name in a marriage. I opted for co-habiting with the father of my children, who are all grown now so have never had to make the choice. They all had his last name and it never caused a problem, everybody who needed to know knew who we all were. It was not until I worked at the university that I became aware of women either hyphenating or keeping their own name. I worked with a woman for 6 months before I realized she was a prof’s wife, not that it mattered in the end.

Would the Visa CO understand at interview why I have chosen to keep my maiden name? In trying to make my decision I never considered the Visa Co’s opinion! I am confident that the majority of people will be able to rationally explain their decision if it at all comes up during an interview.

Would the Visa CO understand why I have 5 names total if I just added his to all of mine? Throughout their careers, Visa CO probably becomes aware of various customs so this would not be surprising to them.

Would my husband (USA Citizen), understand why I am not using his last name professionally and only socially? I believe with my heart and soul that Michael will accept whatever I decide, recognizing the hard work I put into my degrees. I also do not think he would be offended if I decide to use my maiden name professionally and my married name for everyday life. However, I also know with my heart and soul that he would be honored and pleased that I assumed his name when we marry.

The only reason for being on the fence: Degrees & publications are in my maiden name

o I am not professionally known in MN – would it matter?

o If I was professionally known in MN would it really matter?

o Am I doing this for sake of convenience?

o Would this be an issue if we had decided for Michael to immigrate to Canada?

o My work before being married will be documented on my CV

o In the end, what really matters the most to both Michael and I?

Would the clients or patients know how to find me if I changed my name? I agree with a previous post, they will learn!

What would it cost me at the bottom line in time and money? Not an issue if that is what I want to do!

What would it cost our marriage, bottom line? I don’t think it will affect our marriage one way or another; our vows are what will make the marriage real. However, the look on Michael’s face when he calls me Mrs. Lee warms my heart, and I also remember the nice feeling I got when a sales clerk assumed we were married and called me Mrs. Lee. Funny though, our pastor sends emails with my first name, last name, soon to be married name lol. My fence is leaning towards assuming Michael’s last name (how many months to I have to decide lol.)

Thanks for the post Mari, it really is a great opportunity to learn about other cultures!

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Timeline

Unbelievably jealous. My full name, including middle name and hyphen (but not spaces) is 26 letters long. An entire effin' alphabet long! Unfair. Think I will change my name to Ima Fox by deed poll.

Ima Fox ?

heck there is one - just googled it

You know that in English, a 'bender' is a 'gender bender' ie tranny

At my last company we had an agent called 'Rajin Bender'

I love names and I thought it was really funny - all the po faces didn't but that's their loss so hah !

You definitely need an alphabetoctomy on your name --how about U Thant ?

I suppose there is a chance of a black eye when you give your name but it is short

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Thant

If that doesn't appeal >>> (never spell it out)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Well you beat me out even with 5 names! LOL I got 24. I think I need to remove a name or two. ....

Timeline

Sorry but I had to do this.... Since this thread is all about our names, What's yours?

Anyone know how to upload the little YouTube video directly on this page?

This ought to go well on my credentials! I pronounce my name like this: Mar-Eeeeee

Mari , Mari, bo-bari,Banana-fana fo-fariFee-fi-mo-Ari. Mari!

I'm :whistle: singin and :dance: dancin!

Mari, Over and Out!

Hey Charles? You don't go by "Chuck" do you? Cuz if you do, you shouldn't sing this :lol: because the Rules say: Playing the game with names such as Alice, Dallas, Tucker, Chuck, Buck, Huck, Bart, Art, Marty, Mitch, Rich, Richie, Maggie, Ruby, or, in British English, Danny or Annie, results in profanity or rude language. Ref: Wikipedia

Edited by Mari & Kadir

Timeline

Hampton Pearson on CNBC creases me every time

English rhyming slang:

Hampton Wick = ? eg "that guy is getting on my Hampton"

yes you got it

Over to you for the latest on the new York Stock Exchange Hampton !

change it Hampton - change it !

moresheep400100.jpg

I think my take on that is whatever works for the person whose name is changed.

My ex father-in-law was in the Japanese army and a POW in Manchuria.

He survived all that and married my ex mother-in-law who was a fairly

affluent war widow. He had 6 brothers (all survived the war) but she had

no male siblings. He did something extremely rare for a Japanese male -

HE changed HIS family name to HERS. I'm sorry I will probably never see

him again. He was truly a saint and his wife was a Prima Biach whose

example was followed by my first wife.

My younger brother was divorced once but it was fairly quick, the marriage wasn't long.

His second wife decided to keep her maiden name - to this day I don't know the reasoning

but I guess she had a good reason - maybe expected to have some business dealings

using that name or whatever. In any case most people still call her by my brother's last

name as she had 2 kids and taking the husband's name is a usual convention.

My Thai wife took my last name because I think it was more convenient for her in the US.

I discouraged her however from changing her name on her Thai passport because I think

it's better for having a "normal" profile when she is in Thailand.

I think where the couple is of a certain age and no kids are in the offing and the woman

has considerable relationships and connections with her current name, there should be

no need to change it. If my second wife had been American, I wouldn't press the issue.

On your more specific questions, I don't think the CO will focus too much on name change

or lack of it (just my opinion). If other things raise flags, maybe THEN it may get attention.

When you marry you just check a box to change your name and write the name as you wish

to have it changed and the new name will appear on the marriage certificate along with the

old one. No extra charge. If you want to change it AFTER marriage, then it takes a lawyer &

trip to court but it's really a minor formality. They can't really stop you from doing it unless

the name is so outlandish that it would present crowd control problems.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In our case, (my fiancee is from Jamaica) she says she want my last name. But I don't think it really matters. It is just a name, I think it makes it easier to have the same last name, but besides convenience it should not matter.

We love each other, not each others name.

That being said, If she doesn't change her last name to mine, we're not getting married.(just kidding)