Traveler 77

Should I mark out my SSN when I send forms to fiancee?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi,

I'm preparing to send my fiancee copies of my I-129F application, I-134, and tax transcripts, etc. in preparation for her embassy interview. These applications contain my social security number in numerous places. I'm concerned that if my papers were to get lost, or into the wrong hands, someone could use my personal information to steal my identity.

Is it okay to black out my SSN from all forms containing it (I-129F, G-325A, tax transcripts, employer verification), just to be on the safe side?

Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

I'm preparing to send my fiancee copies of my I-129F application, I-134, and tax transcripts, etc. in preparation for her embassy interview. These applications contain my social security number in numerous places. I'm concerned that if my papers were to get lost, or into the wrong hands, someone could use my personal information to steal my identity.

Is it okay to black out my SSN from all forms containing it (I-129F, G-325A, tax transcripts, employer verification), just to be on the safe side?

Thanks.

For the I-129F, it doesn't matter but the I-134 will be carried to the Consulate, so needs to be complete. Use a trusted courier and trust your fiancee. It comes with the territory.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just read an article from yahoo.com concerning identity theft via your SS#. A major college determined that a computer program can guess at your SS# correctly approx. 20% of the time just using the basic info from your Facebook page.

The feds are designing a new SS# system that will provide a completely random numbering system in the near future regardless of where or when you were born.

The change doesn't affect anyone already assigned a SS# due to a law on the books. Only one number will ever be assigned to each person.

November 2009- Met online

May 13,2010- Visited in Cebu, Philippines

July 01, 2010 I-129f mailed to Cali

July 06,2010- USCIS confirmed delivery

July 12,2010- NOA-1

July 21,2010- file touched

Nov. 19,2010- NOA2 Approved!!!!

Nov. 24, 2010- NVC received

Nov. 30,2010- Hardcopy recieved in mail

Nov. 30, 2010-case number received from NVC via phone

case forwarded to Manilla

Dec. 06, 2010- paid Visa fee at BPI

Dec. 07,2010-Embassy recieved

Dec. 28, 2010- Appt. finally scheduled

Jan. 11,2011- Medical exam

Jan. 18,2011- Interview APPROVED!!!

Jan. 19,2011- Visa printed

Jan. 22, 2011- Visa delivered

Jan. 30, 2011- Guam

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you use DHL and send them right to her, the probability of the docs ending up in the wrong hands is very small, at best.

As for your fiance, I certainly hope you trust her with your SS#.

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm scared!

Here's my SSN: 508-56-9595.

Do with it what you want.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I'm scanning copies of the documents and emailing them to my finace. I trust him with my information but don't trust the mail system, especially internationally. Someone on here had the idea of blacking out all but the last 4 numbers of the SSN. I did that on several forms that didn't get emailed.

7/26/10 Engaged
9/15/10 - Mailed I-129F to Dallas
9/17/10 - Received in Dallas
9/23/10 - NOA1 (Email - Sent to VSC)
9/24/10 - NOA1 (Letter Received Dated 9/20/10)
10/3/10 - Touched
3/23/11 - NOA2 (Email - Sent to NVC)
3/31/11 - Letter from NVC confirming receipt (Letter dated then)
4/6/11 - Email confirmation from NVC - Paperwork sent to Frankfurt
4/9/11 - Packet 3 received from Frankfurt
4/19/11 - Packet 4 received from Frankfurt
5/16/11 - Fiance's Interview in Frankfurt - Approved
6/11/11 - Wedding Date

7/1/11 - NOA AOS, EAD, AP documents received
7/27/11 - Biometrics
8/26/11 - Emails that AP and EAD are approved - EAD card sent to be ordered, should be sent within 30 days
10/31/11 - Email that GC is approved.
11/4/11 - GC received!

7/30/13 - NOA1 for ROC

8/27/13 - Biometrics

9/23/13 - Received notice of case being transferred from VSC to CSC

10/28/13 - GC ordered!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm scanning copies of the documents and emailing them to my finace. I trust him with my information but don't trust the mail system, especially internationally. Someone on here had the idea of blacking out all but the last 4 numbers of the SSN. I did that on several forms that didn't get emailed.

Not sure how that information is relevant to the question at hand regarding the I-134. A complete one bearing the original signature must be in the hands of the beneficiary to carry to the interview. The paranoid could mail blank matching paper so the PDF file could be printed on all the pages except those bearing the signature. That way the SSN wouldn't go through the mail. Remember to mail the signed page along with the blank matching paper.

I'm scared!

Here's my SSN: 508-56-9595.

Do with it what you want.

Cute, but the OP is concerned about a document bearing his full name, birthplace, address, date of birth AND SSN. You willing to post that?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks for the answers.

The I-134 itself doesn't ask for a social security number, but the supporting documents (tax transcripts, proof of employment) will include the SSN #. I don't want to email the pdf to her, because she doesn't have her own printer. She'd have to use a public printer, which has it's own risks, if the printing is delayed, or stuck in the printer's queue.

I may use DHL, which is very expensive ($100 to mail a document).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks.

I never did that. I used FedEx to send all forms to my fiance. I wanted my number displayed so that the Embassy can use it to verify my identity. I am not afraid of the big bad wolf.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

DHL is more reliable than FedEx (and faster) for international document shipping. It costs a little more, but not really that much.

And honestly, with the $10,000.00 minimum you are spending to get this whole thing done, $100.00 for a safe courier for your personal documents is a tiny drop in the bucket.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks.

If you worried about someone stealing your identity/SSN, you can put a freeze on your credit line with all three major credit bureaus. In that way even if someone steals your SSN they cannot open lines of credit with your SSN number. But it doesn't stop someone from using your SSN for other identity purposes, etc.

More info on how to do this is here:

http://www.consumers...03484indiv.html

A Freeze also means you also then cannot open up new lines of credit like a credit card or loans but you can release the freeze when you want usually in writing.

I had a friend who had her identity stolen 10 years ago. It took her 5 years to clear things up and caused lots of headaches.

Edited by gvt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.