^_^

Winters like this are why tiny cars will never make it in America

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Outside of California, the I-95 corridor is one of the major concentrations of Americans with disposable money. If I heeded the (bad) advice of the hippies and had two Priuses or Smartcars, I'd be screwed right now. Small cars just don't cut it in weather like this (there's about two feet of snow on the ground right now).

And that's why while we will certainly transition to vehicles that use less gasoline, our vehicles will stay larger and heavier than is the norm elsewhere.

So the next time some insufferable hippie gives you sh'it about your SUV, run him the f over. America will thank you and so will I.

When I first moved to FL I was chatting casually with a new colleague who was from Rhode Island. She remarked that one really needs a(n) SUV "around here". I must have looked really puzzled because she added on "because of the flooding". Aside from storm surge as a result of hurricanes and a few major rainmaking regular storms - I still don't see her point.

Outside of California, the I-95 corridor is one of the major concentrations of Americans with disposable money. If I heeded the (bad) advice of the hippies and had two Priuses or Smartcars, I'd be screwed right now. Small cars just don't cut it in weather like this (there's about two feet of snow on the ground right now).

And that's why while we will certainly transition to vehicles that use less gasoline, our vehicles will stay larger and heavier than is the norm elsewhere.

So the next time some insufferable hippie gives you sh'it about your SUV, run him the f over. America will thank you and so will I.

Yeah, beacause a standard RWD pick-up is so much better on snow than a mid-sized FWD sedan. You don't drive much on snow, do you? And why is everyone down here in FL running a pick-up? Because of the heavy snowfalls down here? :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, beacause a standard RWD pick-up is so much better on snow than a mid-sized FWD sedan. You don't drive much on snow, do you? And why is everyone down here in FL running a pick-up? Because of the heavy snowfalls down here? :lol:

Where else would their confederate or gators flag fit?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I disagree! I live in an area that regularly sees 250" of snow each winter. Front-wheel drive compact cars such as the prius do just fine, especially when fitted with winter tires. I don't have one but if we had a local dealer I might. I drive a FWD hybrid Escape and it gets 34 mpg. Why exactly do you feel a need to have something especially large? Your rationalization aside, what other good reason do you have? I also own a pick-up truck which I need because I build (houses, garages, cottages, docks, etc) as a hobby. But I only drive it when the Escape is too small for the load I am carrying. There is no reason that smaller vehicles will not do well even in the snowier areas of the country.

If it wasn't for your Pavlovian response at the mere mention of the dreaded SUV, you'd realize you're actually making my point with that comparison.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

does this mean aj is finally gonna get a f-250?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just the other day, after a decent snowfall, I watched an SUV try to plow its way through a pile of snow in a parking lot and get stuck.

Every time we have snow on the ground, the interstate between Phoenix and Flagstaff is riddled with SUV's that have slid or tumbled off the embankment because the drivers think SUV's can handle the snow and ice.

While 4WD gives you better traction on the roads in most SUV's, you give up having a lower center of gravity and less weight, which works against you when driving on icy roads.

I'd take a FWD sedan with snow tires or chains over any SUV when having to drive on icy roads. As for when there's heavy snowfall, there's no vehicle short of a snow mobile that can drive when there is more than about 18" of snow.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just the other day, after a decent snowfall, I watched an SUV try to plow its way through a pile of snow in a parking lot and get stuck.

Every time we have snow on the ground, the interstate between Phoenix and Flagstaff is riddled with SUV's that have slid or tumbled off the embankment because the drivers think SUV's can handle the snow and ice.

While 4WD gives you better traction on the roads in most SUV's, you give up having a lower center of gravity and less weight, which works against you when driving on icy roads.

I'd take a FWD sedan with snow tires or chains over any SUV when having to drive on icy roads. As for when there's heavy snowfall, there's no vehicle short of a snow mobile that can drive when there is more than about 18" of snow.

you do realize those are illegal in a lot of states these days, right? This isn't the 1970's! :whistle:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

so you need a large vehicle for the very very few days in a year that snow is on the ground? are you an emergency room surgeon or something? or you need your instant gratification everyday of the year? sorry, but LOL! gee whiz, just stay inside, relax, take a few days off.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

you can in CA too and if you can use anything in CA, surely you can in most states (where it snows).

Snow tires are actually recommended up here during the winter. Thankfully, we don't have to do a lot of driving, so we've been winging it in our Hyundai Elantra. It's slid a few times, but we put in low gear when the roads are icy to get better traction.

Amen

7yqZWFL.jpg