ADAMandKAREN

I-134 question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

People keep talking about submitting the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134. I read the instructions for the I-134 and it says to only submit the previous year's tax return (1 year) if you are self employed and doesn't mention any need to submit any tax returns at all for those who are employed. Am I missing something? the instructions are here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

07/28/2009 Met on LDSlinkup.com

09/04/2009 Relationship officially started

06/11/2010 Met in Philippines

06/30/2010 Traveled to Singapore together

07/05/2010 I had to go back to the US

07/22/2010 I-129F mailed

07/24/2010 Delivery confirmation says I-129F received. Waiting for NOA1

08/02/2010 Check Cashed still waiting for NOA1

08/05/2010 NOA 1 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 07/29/2010)

12/21/2010 NOA 2 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 12/14/2010)

12/29/2010 NVC letter

01/12/2011 Packet 3!!!!!

02/02/2011 Sent checklist back to embassy....Waiting for phone call....

03/03/2011 She had her interview...Lacking of evidence....told her what to get and told her to come back

03/30/2011 She went back to the embassy....This time we had everything...K-1 approved; not in hand yet

People keep talking about submitting the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134. I read the instructions for the I-134 and it says to only submit the previous year's tax return (1 year) if you are self employed and doesn't mention any need to submit any tax returns at all for those who are employed. Am I missing something? the instructions are here: http://www.uscis.gov.../i-134instr.pdf

If you are self employed you will need to submit your tax return just like everyone. They will go by line 22 of your SC 1040 ITR

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

People keep talking about submitting the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134. I read the instructions for the I-134 and it says to only submit the previous year's tax return (1 year) if you are self employed and doesn't mention any need to submit any tax returns at all for those who are employed. Am I missing something? the instructions are here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

What you keep reading about is what is recommended as well known best practice, not what is required. Does that explain it for you?

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are self employed you will need to submit your tax return just like everyone. They will go by line 22 of your SC 1040 ITR

Well I understand that if you are self employed you need to submit your tax return. What i'm asking is if those who are not self employed need to. I keep seeing people talking about submitting the last 3 years tax returns but I don't see anything in the instructions that require any tax returns unless you are self employed.

What you keep reading about is what is recommended as well known best practice, not what is required. Does that explain it for you?

Yes that answers my question perfectly. Thank you.

07/28/2009 Met on LDSlinkup.com

09/04/2009 Relationship officially started

06/11/2010 Met in Philippines

06/30/2010 Traveled to Singapore together

07/05/2010 I had to go back to the US

07/22/2010 I-129F mailed

07/24/2010 Delivery confirmation says I-129F received. Waiting for NOA1

08/02/2010 Check Cashed still waiting for NOA1

08/05/2010 NOA 1 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 07/29/2010)

12/21/2010 NOA 2 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 12/14/2010)

12/29/2010 NVC letter

01/12/2011 Packet 3!!!!!

02/02/2011 Sent checklist back to embassy....Waiting for phone call....

03/03/2011 She had her interview...Lacking of evidence....told her what to get and told her to come back

03/30/2011 She went back to the embassy....This time we had everything...K-1 approved; not in hand yet

Actually since you are petitioning for someone from the Philippines you should be very careful about this. The consulate there is known to strictly follow what is laid out in the I-864 which is THE official Affidavit of Support which you will eventually use at the AOS stage. In that form it says that the most recent tax return is required and you can submit up to three if you think that will help your case. If you are dealing with the consulate in the Philippines (probably Manila) you want to have your most recent tax return ready. Someone on this forum was recently denied their visa at the Manila Consulate for being a likely public charge even though their current income was above the federal poverty guidelines. They based their decision on the fact that the previous year's income was not sufficient. This is not a typical case, but I would not take the chance if I were you.

9/9/10: I-129F Sent

9/15/10: Received NOA1 via text/email from USCIS

9/16/10: Received NOA1 in mail (dated 9/13/10)

9/20/10: Touched!

10/03/10: Touched to the dusty shelves!

2/28/11: NOA2 finally

3/04/11: Arrived at NVC

3/08/11: Left NVC and arrived at CDJ consulate

4/04/11: Packet 3 sent

4/13/11: Packet 3 received!

4/18/11: Medical Exam

4/19/11: ASC

4/20/11: Interview (Approved!)

4/29/11: K-1 Visa in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/30/11: Entered USA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The I-134 was crafted by INS many years ago. It's original purpose was as an affidavit of support for sponsors of immigrants. INS (now USCIS) stopped using the form in the mid 1990's because the contract portion of the form was poorly written, and therefore not legally binding. US consulates abroad still use the I-134 because it's a handy way of summarizing the financial status of a sponsor for a non-immigrant visa.

The original instructions for the I-134 were written by USCIS for a completely different purpose than the US consulate is going to be using the form for. The details in the form instructions about what sort of supporting evidence is required is utterly useless when submitting the form to the consulate. They aren't bound by USCIS original guidelines for the form, and can require virtually anything they want.

In other words, ignore the form instructions. The consulate will usually provide instructions with packet 4 detailing what sort of evidence they will require. Most will want, at a minimum, a copy of the most recent year's tax return or an IRS transcript of that return. Do not believe for a moment that you won't be required to submit a tax return or transcript unless you're self-employed, as the form's instructions imply. The consulate makes the rules, in this case.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.