jlee

Soon to be deployed, need help

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hello everyone!! I am back after some time (mostly due to current pre-deployment excercises) but I currently need much help:

At this moment, my fiancee came over on a K-1 Visa 5 OCT 2010. We were married 23 OCT, and went off to enjoy our time together before I had to return to work at Ft. Campbell. We applied and received her SS Card easily enough, however they noticed her I-94 was dated wrong with an expiration date of January 2010. For those of you who aren't math majors, she has been expired before she even came into the STATES jajaja... I gave the CBP office here at Nashville, TN a call and the lady on the other line explained it doesn't matter about fixing that, they will "understand" the mistake was made once I turn in my packet. Confirm or Deny?

Secondly, she explained that my wife is no longer under the K-1 conditional status, she is now a CR-1 though I'm pretty sure that isn't right, since a CR-1 is when a U.S Citizen marries outside the United States and wishes to bring the Wife/Husband over. I believe even though I am married within the 90 day margin, I still need to turn in my packet regardless for an AOS correct?

Here's the doozie, I'm stationed at FT. Campbell, KY, and will be deploying REALLY soon, my wife will not be staying at our current address. Once I turn in my packet, what do I do as far as mail traffic? I was pondering of putting my parents address since it is guaranteed they will receive any type of notices for my wifes interview or what not as opposed to it being sent here and becoming "lost". Secondly, do I need to present for her interview and anything else upcoming? I of course will not be able to since I will be in a far off land defending freedom and all that jazz, will this pose a problem? Or can I type up a letter explaining this and having a memo sent along with the packet so that they understand better....

Last last lastly... I wish to change my wife's last name to my own, we married in Miami, Florida but I will not be there for some time (probably over 1 year or more). How do I do this I keep receiving misinformation and whatnot, someone please give me a clear and concise answer. Thanks!!!

Someone help me out here I'm stressing with not only deployment and family seperation, but also with my wife's immigration status, Thank you all and a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, much love.

2LT Lee, Javier

Edited by jlee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
At this moment, my fiancee came over on a K-1 Visa 5 OCT 2010. We were married 23 OCT, and went off to enjoy our time together before I had to return to work at Ft. Campbell. We applied and received her SS Card easily enough, however they noticed her I-94 was dated wrong with an expiration date of January 2010. For those of you who aren't math majors, she has been expired before she even came into the STATES jajaja... I gave the CBP office here at Nashville, TN a call and the lady on the other line explained it doesn't matter about fixing that, they will "understand" the mistake was made once I turn in my packet. Confirm or Deny?

I do not see it as being an issue, not the first time.

Secondly, she explained that my wife is no longer under the K-1 conditional status, she is now a CR-1 though I'm pretty sure that isn't right, since a CR-1 is when a U.S Citizen marries outside the United States and wishes to bring the Wife/Husband over. I believe even though I am married within the 90 day margin, I still need to turn in my packet regardless for an AOS correct?

Correct, she will then be adjusting status.

Here's the doozie, I'm stationed at FT. Campbell, KY, and will be deploying REALLY soon, my wife will not be staying at our current address. Once I turn in my packet, what do I do as far as mail traffic? I was pondering of putting my parents address since it is guaranteed they will receive any type of notices for my wifes interview or what not as opposed to it being sent here and becoming "lost". Secondly, do I need to present for her interview and anything else upcoming? I of course will not be able to since I will be in a far off land defending freedom and all that jazz, will this pose a problem? Or can I type up a letter explaining this and having a memo sent along with the packet so that they understand better....

Usually they bend over backwards for deployed military. Get it going asap and they will expedite. Address, will not your wife be here to open the mail?

Last last lastly... I wish to change my wife's last name to my own, we married in Miami, Florida but I will not be there for some time (probably over 1 year or more). How do I do this I keep receiving misinformation and whatnot, someone please give me a clear and concise answer. Thanks!!!

Something she does rather than you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

@Boiler, Thanks, yes she will be here (in the United States) to receive mail, however since I am deploying she will be going to my parents house in miami, Florida.. not here in our present and current address... see where I'm getting at? :D

@Geode, thank you where can I find that information =)?

I would suggest she apply for the AOS/EAD/AP with her First name, her Middle name, your Last name. Her full maiden name will be put anywhere it would ask for former or other names used . Your marriage license will explain why she is using a new last name. I would also apply using your parents' address as the address. On the G-325A biographical form you can list the address where you are living now as a former address. The AOS process is like starting over with a brand new process so don't worry about names and addresses in the visa process...that's over with now basically. New process with new last name and address will be fine. Once she gets the green card she can go back to Social Security and get a new card in your last name. Same with a driver's license.

I don't know the military route, but somebody will come along who does.

Thank you for your service Lt. !! God bless you and keep you safe.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I would suggest she apply for the AOS/EAD/AP with her First name, her Middle name, your Last name. Her full maiden name will be put anywhere it would ask for former or other names used . Your marriage license will explain why she is using a new last name. I would also apply using your parents' address as the address. On the G-325A biographical form you can list the address where you are living now as a former address. The AOS process is like starting over with a brand new process so don't worry about names and addresses in the visa process...that's over with now basically. New process with new last name and address will be fine. Once she gets the green card she can go back to Social Security and get a new card in your last name. Same with a driver's license.

I don't know the military route, but somebody will come along who does.

Thank you for your service Lt. !! God bless you and keep you safe.

Thank you for the help!! The only thing is her last name is still her "maiden" name, It hasn't changed yet and I would like to before I send in the application. I really don't have much time so I can only see as putting her maiden name as her last name in the paperwork since it still hasn't been changed legally, see what I'm getting at? Let me know if you have any suggestions, thank you much for the help!!!

Thank you for the help!! The only thing is her last name is still her "maiden" name, It hasn't changed yet and I would like to before I send in the application. I really don't have much time so I can only see as putting her maiden name as her last name in the paperwork since it still hasn't been changed legally, see what I'm getting at? Let me know if you have any suggestions, thank you much for the help!!!

There is no "legal name change" needed when a woman marries. She just starts using her husband's last name. The marriage certificate shows she is married to Mr. Lee so that's all the proof needed if asked. Tell your bank she is Mrs. Lee. Get her a credit card as a user on your account as Mrs. Lee. Get her green card in the name Lee by applying for it as Mrs. Lee. USCIS sees this every day and they don't expect a court name change for just taking the husband's name. That's what almost all K1 women do. Some don't want to take their husband's name and would apply in the maiden name because they never plan to use their husband's name. Your wife applies with the last name of Lee and there will be no problems.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I found this on USCIS website. There is a special number you can call

General Information

Q. What are the criteria to have an application or petition expedited for military personnel?

A. USCIS reviews all expedite requests on a case-by-case basis. Some examples of situations that may qualify for expedited processing include:

• Pending military deployment
  • Extreme emergent situation
  • Humanitarian situation

Please contact your local USCIS office or the USCIS Military Help Line at 1 877 CIS 4MIL (1-877-247-4645) for more information.

Q. I am scheduled to deploy in the near future. How do I notify USCIS?

A. If you have not yet submitted an application or petition to USCIS, write in bold letters, “I have an upcoming deployment” on the first page of the application/petition, or on a cover sheet attached to your application. If you have already submitted your application and need to notify USCIS of an upcoming deployment, contact the USCIS Military Help Line at 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645) as soon as possible.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You must include a copy of your military orders and if you can a letter from your superior as well stating your deployment etc. She will likely not have an interview because of this. Had to do this myself as my husband was deployed, Hes going to be deployed again for my ROC as well when i file that too.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

I know I know, but I still have a couple of more questions left..

My wife received her SS Card after we were married and so you say she can just "take" my last name, the guy at the window didn't put our last name of "lee" because of the marriage certificate still stating her maiden name. This is why I asked how do I change her last name? for her SS card also? I still am not getting it..

Second question is I'm reading what you (Nich) wrote to me about the Civil Surgeon. When she arrived after doing all her "Civil Surgeon" stuff in her country, and clearing 100%.. what can I use to prove that? I read somewhere that if she is within 1 year of her medical being done she does not have to show documents of this. Am I right?

Lastly I have to translate her Birth Certificate to English. I am proficient in Spanish can I just translate it myself? or must it be a certified copy :/ ? Thank you guys..

Edited by jlee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She needs to have a copy of her vaccination record from her first medical before she came to the USA. If she does not have this - she needs to see a civil surgeon and get ONLY the vaccination part filled out of the I-693. That will be included in the packet instead if she has no vaccination record copy from the first medical.

To change her name on the SSN she will need to wait for her greencard if they are giving you a hard time with the marriage license. File the AOS in her married name so the green card arrives in her married name. Then she can take that go down and ask to have her SSN fixed.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

I know I know, but I still have a couple of more questions left..

My wife received her SS Card after we were married and so you say she can just "take" my last name, the guy at the window didn't put our last name of "lee" because of the marriage certificate still stating her maiden name. This is why I asked how do I change her last name? for her SS card also? I still am not getting it..

Social Security is often a problem for K1s because not all workers are knowledgeable of procedures. . The easiest is getting it in the maiden name like you did because that is the name they find in the database showing her admission to the US. Once she has a green card in the name Lee, she can go back to SS to change her name with them. They will find her married name in the database put there by USCIS when they issued the greencard. The number will remain the same and the card itself isn't so important if you memorize the number to give places that need it. You can go back much, much later to get the card fixed.

Second question is I'm reading what you (Nich) wrote to me about the Civil Surgeon. When she arrived after doing all her "Civil Surgeon" stuff in her country, and clearing 100%.. what can I use to prove that? I read somewhere that if she is within 1 year of her medical being done she does not have to show documents of this. Am I right?

Her medical forms were turned over to USCIS when she entered on her K1. They should have those without you doing anything. Sometimes they do lose them and send a request that you have to do the medical again. Not all K1s get every immunization needed in their home country. A visa can be issued without meeting the immunization requirements. For that part, people who need additional shots go to a civil surgeon in the US and have the immunization section (only) filled out on a form I-693. She should have been given a copy of her immunizations (form DS3025) from her country showing what she had recorded at her visa exam. If iall the shots needed are recorded on that form, then you could use a photocopy of that DS-3025 to send with AOS. If she still needs more shots, she can use the DS3025 to show the civil surgeon what she already had and he will copy those to the I-693 and give her anything she is lacking. We did not do an I-693 because shots were all given in England. Most adults need Td or Tdap (if DT, DTP or DTaP shown: okay to accept); MMR (if born in 1957 or later); Varicella or had chickenpox disease; Influenza (during flu season only, October 1 through March 31)

Lastly I have to translate her Birth Certificate to English. I am proficient in Spanish can I just translate it myself? or must it be a certified copy :/ ? Thank you guys..

The cerified translation doesn't have to be a paid translator, but they have to "certify" by signing a statement that they are fluent in the language and have done an accurate translation. This is what USCIS says about translations:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

Don't know if it's been said or not, and please confirm this with other people, but when I changed my name, I first wanted to go to the DMV. I'm a USC btw. Anyways, DMV wouldn't do any name change without an adjusted SS#. I went to SS, brought my id, social security card, and my marriage certificate that I got back from the courthouse, and they changed it. I had to wait 24 hours before it updated in their system, but the next day, I went back, and they gave me a printout to use at the DMV. My card arrived a few days later.

I'm really unsure of whether that same system would apply to your foreign bride, but being as she has a SS#, I can't see why not.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Congrats on your wedding, and thank you very much for your service. (L) Will keep you in my prayers for your safety.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.