one...two...tree

Barbour Well Positioned to Wrap Up the Racist Vote

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

To put it mildly, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour ®, a likely presidential candidate in 2012, has a difficult background on race relations. The far-right lobbyist-turned-governor has at times conveyed a demonstrably ridiculous version of history when it comes to civil rights in the South, and Barbour is known for keeping a Confederate flag signed by Jefferson Davis in his office. He's cited Jim Eastland as his political inspiration -- Eastland is best known as a champion on segregation -- and once told a campaign aide who'd made racist comments that "he would be reincarnated as a watermelon and placed at the mercy of blacks."

But Barbour has opened a new chapter in this story with a lengthy interview with the Weekly Standard.

In interviews Barbour doesn't have much to say about growing up in the midst of the civil rights revolution. "I just don't remember it as being that bad," he said. "I remember Martin Luther King came to town, in '62. He spoke out at the old fairground and it was full of people, black and white."

Did you go? I asked.

"Sure, I was there with some of my friends."

I asked him why he went out.

"We wanted to hear him speak."

I asked what King had said that day.

"I don't really remember. The truth is, we couldn't hear very well. We were sort of out there on the periphery. We just sat on our cars, watching the girls, talking, doing what boys do. We paid more attention to the girls than to King."

It's hard to know where to start with such odious madness. As far as Barbour is concerned, Mississippi -- home to lynchings and other Jim Crow-era violence -- wasn't "that bad" in the 1950s and early 1960s? This coming from a man who "never thought twice" about integration, because he attended all-white, segregated schools.

Wait, it gets worse.

Both Mr. Mott and Mr. Kelly had told me that Yazoo City was perhaps the only municipality in Mississippi that managed to integrate the schools without violence. I asked Haley Barbour why he thought that was so.

"Because the business community wouldn't stand for it," he said. "You heard of the Citizens Councils? Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their #### run out of town. If you had a job, you'd lose it. If you had a store, they'd see nobody shopped there. We didn't have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City."

Those "up north" happen to be right, and Barbour happens to be dangerously ignorant. As Matt Yglesias noted, "The Citizens' Councils were, right in the state of Mississippi where Barbour is from, the respectable face of white supremacist political activism." Josh Marshall added that these Citizens' Councils were so transparently racist, the conservative mainstream "would have nothing to do with them."

But from Barbour's twisted perspective, he's inclined to credit these white supremacists for keeping Mississippi calm during the civil rights era.

I recognize, and have written about, political reporters' love for Barbour, in part because of his willingness to feed their egos and serve them alcohol.

But as the 2012 race draws closer, I can only hope the political world recognizes Barbour for what, by all accounts, he appears to be: an old-school Southern racist.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_12/027172.php#more

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

the author is REACHING....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

the author is REACHING....

"Over" reaching in fact.

I'm no fan of Barbour (hate that accent) but this condemnation of the guy over this pap is low politics.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Palin/Barbour 2012 or Barbour/Palin?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Palin/Barbour 2012 or Barbour/Palin?

Either way you put it,

If Obamas numbers keep dropping even this pair might take him out in 2012.

:thumbs:

William Penn

Timeline

I know a few folks on this forum who would vote for him.

If the choice came down to Barbour or Obama, you can be sure more than a few people would vote for him.

But seriously,... he aint running.

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

If the choice came down to Barbour or Obama, you can be sure more than a few people would vote for him.

He can run, but he wouldn't make it. I didn't vote for Obama, but I wouldn't vote for that idiot either.

Timeline

Didn't know you were such an insider! So who is running?

Timeline

Didn't know you were such an insider! So who is running?

Hint: someone with a little more traction than him in the polls.

William Penn