Sim14

Fiance or Spousal Visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everybody - I am a US citizen and just got engaged with a person from India (in India). We are planning to get married in India next year in nov or dec. If I file a petiton on Fiance basis now and the visa becomes available around the same time we get married, will I have to file a new petition on spousal basis or he can still use the fiance visa to come to US even after getting married? If I file a new case after getting married that means I will have to wait another 6-9 months after next nov for him to come to US. The only things are we want to get married in India and can't get married before nov. Please suggest what would be the best and fastest way to approach the matter in my conditions.

Best Regards

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you want to get married in India, the Cr-1 route is the only option for you. This would require you to be married THEN file. So if you're looking at getting married in a year, your at least 18 months away from having your spouse here

You CANNOT marry in India then come to the US on a fiance visa. Finace visas are for fiances, not spouses

Here is a comparason guide for visas

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everybody - I am a US citizen and just got engaged with a person from India (in India). We are planning to get married in India next year in nov or dec. If I file a petiton on Fiance basis now and the visa becomes available around the same time we get married, will I have to file a new petition on spousal basis or he can still use the fiance visa to come to US even after getting married? If I file a new case after getting married that means I will have to wait another 6-9 months after next nov for him to come to US. The only things are we want to get married in India and can't get married before nov. Please suggest what would be the best and fastest way to approach the matter in my conditions.

Best Regards

A non-registered ceremonial celebration is not considered a legal marriage in India either. A ceremonial marriage is considered legal and official in India only if it is registered and you obtain a marriage certificate. I think as long as marriage is not official and legally registered, you are good to go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I would suggest the K1 visa - apply for it now, you should have it in 7-8 months. Bring your fiance to the US, get a civil wedding here, and then go back to India for the ceremony. if you go the CR1 route, you have to wait until you return from India, already married, then wait another 6-8 months to bring your spouse here.

Whatever you do, don't apply for the K1 and get married in India...cause then you will have to apply allover again for a different visa =)

Good luck

event.png

One look

One smile

One touch

One embrace

One kiss

One love

Two people

Two minds

Two souls

Two destinies

One road

One journey

One ending

Together

358272338v5_240x240_Front.jpg20821470_125x125.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One note:

A Spouse CR-1 visa will save you around $848 in fees when considering Adjustment of Status from a K-1. And now a days with improved processing at USCIS, and NVC the CR-1 is not taking much longer to get than a K-1, compare processing times using the timelines.

CR-1:

I-130: $420

I-864: $88

Visa: $404

$912

K-1

I-129F: $340

Visa: $350

I-485: $1070

$1760

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I would suggest the K1 visa - apply for it now, you should have it in 7-8 months. Bring your fiance to the US, get a civil wedding here, and then go back to India for the ceremony. if you go the CR1 route, you have to wait until you return from India, already married, then wait another 6-8 months to bring your spouse here.

Whatever you do, don't apply for the K1 and get married in India...cause then you will have to apply allover again for a different visa =)

Good luck

Why would a ceremony make a difference? As long as it is not registered, the marriage is not legal in India either aka still engaged status. No one can stop an engaged couple from having any type of ceremony.

Timeline

Thanks everybody for replying.

Even I called USCIS and they said the same thing as majority of the members mentioned that CR1 would be the only option. But what atu14 said would be the best way if its doable. If I dont register the marriage in India, what we will have to do here in the US? hold another ceremony or just simple court marriage would be sufficient?

waiting for your replies...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Even I called USCIS and they said the same thing as majority of the members mentioned that CR1 would be the only option. But what atu14 said would be the best way if its doable. If I dont register the marriage in India, what we will have to do here in the US? hold another ceremony or just simple court marriage would be sufficient?

Simple court marriage after entry on a K-1

Many have an "engagement" party in home country and then use a K-1 to come to the USA

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why would a ceremony make a difference? As long as it is not registered, the marriage is not legal in India either aka still engaged status. No one can stop an engaged couple from having any type of ceremony.

What couples want to do is make sure that they do not do something unintentionally that would cause a delay in being approved for a visa. If a couple is pursuing a fiance(e) visa they cannot be considered married. This differs from culture to culture, as well as country to country. The consulate staff are aware of the local norms and regulations.

People can do whatever they want. But when seeking a certain type of visa it would make sense to not present conflicting evidence. That is why a ceremony may make more of a difference in one part of the world than another.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Exactly, you celebrated with your family and now you will get officially married in the US. Try googling about legal marriages in India- a ceremony does not make a couple married officially until it is registered.

And most likely you will have your visa before your ceremony in India, so just fly to the US after your ceremony and get officially married in the US.

You have to be careful though of such ceremonies because it can be viewed as a legal wedding and your case will be denied and then you will be forced to pursue the CR-1 instead. There are cases were engagement ceremonies were viewed as weddings and the case denied. As mentioned above they are aware of local customs and just because it is not legally registered does not mean they will see it that way. They can simply say "it appears" you're already married and deny you.

Probably safer to use the K-1 route. Pay a little more, bring him here prior to your wedding in India and have a quick ceremony here. Then get your AOS and AP and travel to India and do the official ceremony there.

You have to be careful though of such ceremonies because it can be viewed as a legal wedding and your case will be denied and then you will be forced to pursue the CR-1 instead. There are cases were engagement ceremonies were viewed as weddings and the case denied. As mentioned above they are aware of local customs and just because it is not legally registered does not mean they will see it that way. They can simply say "it appears" you're already married and deny you.

Probably safer to use the K-1 route. Pay a little more, bring him here prior to your wedding in India and have a quick ceremony here. Then get your AOS and AP and travel to India and do the official ceremony there.

What if the ceremony is after the issuance of the visa?

And unless otherwise mentioned, how can they question/find a ceremony (especially after the visa issuance)?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What if the ceremony is after the issuance of the visa?

And unless otherwise mentioned, how can they question/find a ceremony (especially after the visa issuance)?

A ceremony that doesn't result in "marriage" occurring after the visa is in hand is not a problem.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

It really is a great place to discuss your questions, Thanks to all of you who took time to reply. It seems, if the visa is issued before the the ceremony, there should not be a problem. I will discuss this option with my relatives and fiance and let you guys know how things are going.

Happy Holidays everybody :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.