one...two...tree

Tony Porter makes a call to men everywhere: Don't "act like a man."

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

video

Tony Porter makes a call to men everywhere: Don't "act like a man." Telling powerful stories from his own life, he shows how this mentality, drummed into so many men and boys, can lead men to disrespect, mistreat and abuse women and each other. His solution: Break free of the "man box."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Part of the problem with society today is too many men have been broken and act like women....

Like it or not, men and women ARE different and not just on a physical level.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Part of the problem with society today is too many men have been broken and act like women....

Watch the video in its entirety...and then comment.

Timeline

I read the entire transcript, thank you very much.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'd say some have already watched the video.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Bullxxxt, bravado, and bullying are NOT the marks of a real man! I think far too many males confuse real strength and courage with a very disgusting substitute. If you think that treating people, especially those weaker and more vulnerable, with kindness and respect is to "act like women" then you are exactly the problem referenced here. I hope I misunderstand your implications here. If not I feel sorry for your wife and children!

I do feel, though, that the responsibility for these behaviors also lies, to some extent, with the parenting of boys. Too often I see mothers think it is cute when their young sons display brutish behavior. When they also watch their fathers exhibit the same behaviors, and see it tolerated, they come to believe in this twisted version of masculinity.

Timeline

Bullxxxt, bravado, and bullying are NOT the marks of a real man! I think far too many males confuse real strength and courage with a very disgusting substitute. If you think that treating people, especially those weaker and more vulnerable, with kindness and respect is to "act like women" then you are exactly the problem referenced here. I hope I misunderstand your implications here. If not I feel sorry for your wife and children!

I do feel, though, that the responsibility for these behaviors also lies, to some extent, with the parenting of boys. Too often I see mothers think it is cute when their young sons display brutish behavior. When they also watch their fathers exhibit the same behaviors, and see it tolerated, they come to believe in this twisted version of masculinity.

No one said anything about mis-treating anyone.

Boys will be boys and Girls will be girls. Trying to push more of the feminization in this society does nothing but create a bunch of men who couldn't defend themselves from a hermit crab. It creates this idea that we all have to be the same when we're not.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

No one said anything about mis-treating anyone.

Boys will be boys and Girls will be girls. Trying to push more of the feminization in this society does nothing but create a bunch of men who couldn't defend themselves from a hermit crab. It creates this idea that we all have to be the same when we're not.

Define behaviors that are inherently 'boyish'? Socialization and reinforced attitudes play a significant role in shaping a child's behavior. Racists, for example, aren't born, they are made.

Timeline

Define behaviors that are inherently 'boyish'? Socialization and reinforced attitudes play a significant role in shaping a child's behavior. Racists, for example, aren't born, they are made.

Not quite.

Every species and humans are no different are inclined to want to be surrounded by those who are just like them. While children can be taught to be racists, most won't stay that way if they become educated later on. However, many will always hold animosity towards those who are different. That's not a white/black issue either, that's a normal animal instinct.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Every species and humans are no different are inclined to want to be surrounded by those who are just like them.

That's not really racism. But lets not go off on a wild tangent. The argument is that you believe certain behaviors are inherently sexually oriented, I'd like to know what specific behaviors you are assigning to boys.

Timeline

Not quite.

Every species and humans are no different are inclined to want to be surrounded by those who are just like them. While children can be taught to be racists, most won't stay that way if they become educated later on. However, many will always hold animosity towards those who are different. That's not a white/black issue either, that's a normal animal instinct.

While you may be right that there is an 'animal instinct' to behave this way, surely you realize there are many other animal instincts that, if indulged, will result in lengthy prison sentences! What sets humans apart is our ability to be self-reflective about our behaviors and to adopt different patterns of behavior that then become societal norms. This is what is being talked about here. We continue to evolve as humans. Of course, for those of you who are christian bible literalists and have a problem with the word evolve, I would appeal to you to at least try to live up to the exhortations of your spiritual leader.

Timeline

While you may be right that there is an 'animal instinct' to behave this way, surely you realize there are many other animal instincts that, if indulged, will result in lengthy prison sentences! What sets humans apart is our ability to be self-reflective about our behaviors and to adopt different patterns of behavior that then become societal norms. This is what is being talked about here. We continue to evolve as humans. Of course, for those of you who are christian bible literalists and have a problem with the word evolve, I would appeal to you to at least try to live up to the exhortations of your spiritual leader.

We don't continue to evolve at all. That's a misconception. About the only thing that changes over time is technology. Outside of that, people have always been the same. Societies are shaped by those who become leaders and who are influential in controlling the populace. There are leaders and there are followers and it's that nature that gives us people like Hitler coming into power.

Morality changes on a societal whim all the time. What's right, what's wrong. Who we're for. What we're against. All of those things change over time and generation after generation. It's a rollar coaster of ups an downs, but people have always been this way. Homosexuality is a prime example of this. It's gone from being acceptable to unacceptable to acceptable, etc. again and again over the course of history depending on what society deems appropriate at that time.

We are a very fragile species that is easily manipulated in the long run. That's our ultiamte downfall really.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

We don't continue to evolve at all.

We are a very fragile species that is easily manipulated in the long run. That's our ultiamte downfall really.

Speak for yourself.

Timeline

That's not really racism. But lets not go off on a wild tangent. The argument is that you believe certain behaviors are inherently sexually oriented, I'd like to know what specific behaviors you are assigning to boys.

hunting/gathering/providing, protecting of ones home/family/friends, leadership, hard work, aggressiveness, etc..

A lot of these are instinctual for males.

Females are more docile creatures, caring, loving, subservient by nature, 'motherly,' etc.

Don't take the subservient out of context either. That simply means that they will do whatever it takes to look after their partners and their young, even if that means sacrificing their own happiness. That happens plenty still today more than 'liberators' want to admit.

Speak for yourself.

No one said you had to like it.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!