elyandmichael

TRAVELING AND STAYIN ABROAD.. FOR HOW LONG WITH NOT PROBLEMS??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello Vj's,

My Daughter is a Permanent Resident, once she got her card she had to come back to Peru to finish her studies at University, my question is...CAN SHE STAY THERE FOR LESS THAN 1 YEAR AND COME BACK TO USA WITH ANY PROBLEM???...she left USA last Aug 22nd..or maybe she has to come back before 6 months, you know the economical situation is not good enough to buy plane tickets every 6 months. She will be finishing University next year Dec 2011..

Another question. can I file an RE-ENTRY PERMIT beening my daughter in Peru??? is that possible???

All answer will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

04/08/2008...Married

USCIS

07/15/2008...send I-130 form

01/20/2009...APPROVED...NOA2...wooohooo!! **NOA2 175 days after NOA1**

NVC

2009-01-27 : Case Number Assigned

2009-01-28 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-30 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-02-04 : IV Fee bill generated

2009-02-03 : Response from NVC to emailed DS-3032

2009-02-03 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2009-02-23 : AOS PAID (online)

2009-02-23 : IV bill PAID

2009-03-10 : AOS package sent to NVC

2009-03-10 : DS-230 sent to NVC

2009-03-25 : RFE in AOS package (NVC wants 2008 tax returns)

2009-03-27 : sent RFE to NVC

2009-03-31 : NVC got our package...***please, no more RFE***

2009-04-03 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-04-09 : Forward the case to Embassy

2009-05-04 : Medical

2009-05-12 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Perú ***VISA APPPROVED***

2009-05-14 : Visa in Hand

2009-06-05 : POE Newark, NJ...with my love

PETITION FOR STEP-DAUGHTER

USCIS

2009-07-03 : I-130 Form sent to Chicago LockBox

2009-07-09 : NOA1 Case is pending at CALIFORNIA CENTER...(I hope it goes faster than mine)

2009-09-20 : NOA2 APPROVAL

2009-10-01 : NVC Case number

2009-10-02 : DS-3032 emailed

2009-10-06 : got AOS Bill by mail

2009-10-10 : got IV Bill by email

2009-10-13 : AOS Bill PAID

.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline
my question is...CAN SHE STAY THERE FOR LESS THAN 1 YEAR AND COME BACK TO USA WITH ANY PROBLEM???...she left USA last Aug 22nd ... She will be finishing University next year Dec 2011.

Well, From August 2010 to December of 2011 is longer than 1 year! Why not be safe and have her visit once during her 15 months of university (but after Jan 2011)?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, From August 2010 to December of 2011 is longer than 1 year! Why not be safe and have her visit once during her 15 months of university (but after Jan 2011)?

Because this does nothing. The thing about the whole residency thing is, that she will have to prove that she is maintaining US residency still while she is abroad. It doesn't matter if she is gone a month or 8 months as long as she can prove she has maintained US residency during that time. The 6 months out of the country thing that people refer to is not any deadline. That just means after 6 months the burden of prove just switches.

Under 6 months the IO must prove that the person broke continuous residency and may or may not be revoked their GC (extreme cases). After 6 months, it's now the aplicant that now must prove to the IO that they did not break continous residency and did not unintentionally abandon their GC.

In a case of a student studying abroad while living at home with her parents or maintaining a US home/apt and still paying bills will be a lot easier to prove to the IO then someone that just leaves and has no ties to the US for their duration.

Coming back for a short visit just shows the IO that someone doesn't understand the process and is trying to cheat the system thinking it will all of a sudden reset everything. This is untrue and the IO's and USCIS know this tatic far too well.

And yes, after a year it's very likely abandonment of the GC issues will be a lot more likely even if someone did come back for a 'visit' every 6 months...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

+1 to Warlord.

100% accurate assessment.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country:
Timeline
In a case of a student studying abroad while living at home with her parents or maintaining a US home/apt and still paying bills will be a lot easier to prove to the IO then someone that just leaves and has no ties to the US for their duration.

Coming back for a short visit just shows the IO that someone doesn't understand the process and is trying to cheat the system thinking it will all of a sudden reset everything. This is untrue and the IO's and USCIS know this tatic far too well.

And yes, after a year it's very likely abandonment of the GC issues will be a lot more likely even if someone did come back for a 'visit' every 6 months...

I was just thinking that it's rather common for a college student to visit home at least once a year. Not to mention if she did come home for a visit it would be a good opportunity to apply for the re-entry permit which wold be playing by the rules.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

IO or IJ?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you stay out of the country for 6 months or less, you're good. Why would anyone want to misrepresent themselves and act like you are not interested in staying in the US. :whistle:

Some folks just always want to push the envelope.

No BOINGS! about it!

Keep it simple.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.