Captain Oates

The internet and Inhumanity

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was just listening to a radio report of prisoners being burned to death in a fire that some of them started

in a prison in Chile. I could almost hear the Internet posts of people saying " Serve em right" and "They should all have fried, we need more of that"

It depresses me to think that I might be mixing with the people who think like that

I go to my rifle club and people say that Mexican families should be machine - gunned if they try and swim the river to the US side

Who are these people who think and talk like that ? I have yet to find one who doesn't claim to be Christian at the same time as saying these things.

They believe in executing people without trial and kidnapping and torturing foreign nationals as required

Why is there no disapproval and censure of these people in the USA ? They are as anti- christian and anti-American as they can possibly be - and yet claim to be committed examples of both.

Surely this thinking is totally opposed to every thought of the founding fathers and the constitution and the law of the land and the flag which represents all those things

So how do they get away with it and still claim to be patriots ?

How do they get away with it and still mix in normal human society ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just listening to a radio report of prisoners being burned to death in a fire that some of them started

in a prison in Chile. I could almost hear the Internet posts of people saying " Serve em right" and "They should all have fried, we need more of that"

It depresses me to think that I might be mixing with the people who think like that

I go to my rifle club and people say that Mexican families should be machine - gunned if they try and swim the river to the US side

Who are these people who think and talk like that ? I have yet to find one who doesn't claim to be Christian at the same time as saying these things.

They believe in executing people without trial and kidnapping and torturing foreign nationals as required

Why is there no disapproval and censure of these people in the USA ? They are as anti- christian and anti-American as they can possibly be - and yet claim to be committed examples of both.

Surely this thinking is totally opposed to every thought of the founding fathers and the constitution and the law of the land and the flag which represents all those things

So how do they get away with it and still claim to be patriots ?

How do they get away with it and still mix in normal human society ?

For starters, there is no such thing.

For every thought, for every action, there's plenty of people who think/would act in the same manner.

Society makes peace with itself because it ultimately has to and because for every leader there's hundreds if not thousands (or more) of followers.

A good speaker/leader could convince a good percentage of the American people that it's in our best interests to go and bomb Shanghai China, or anywhere else for that matter.

It's who we are as a species.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Paul, are you a social anthropologist IRL or do you just play one on VJ? :jest:

Human nature has been my passion since I was about 14 years old.

I can't stand religion (especially the the Jesus freaks) but one line is so true:

"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

If there's one consistent thing in society, it's that right there.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Oh boy

:unsure:

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

I have found, over my many years specifically on internet message boards, that people will say and do anything because they can. Because the internet gives them the ability to remain faceless and nameless, and as such, the worse part of their nature can come out.

My husband and I had a falling out with the admins of the message board I we met when one of the 'senior members' posted KILL JEWS repeatedly in a post. When hubby and I objected, we were told by the admin that we were 'too old' to understand this young person's particular sense of humor. Uh, sure. He was doing that because the poster was an IRL friend of his, and he would defend him to the end instead of admit it possibly wasn't the best thing in the world to have done, no matter what he may have meant by it. AND the admin would not edit or remove the post either. Hubby and I were made out to be the bad guys and were summarily run out of there. All the better as far as I was concerned if that was deemed acceptable.

Point being - people do it because they can, and because no one can point the finger in their real faces and say 'you're out of line.' Hubby's point to that OP was there is no way you would walk in a pub somewhere and say something like that because you know you'd get your a$ kicked six ways til Sunday. But he didn't care - it was 'funny', and he knew at this point he would suffer no consequences. So why not push the limits of what is acceptable and see if you can get away with it?

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

"Human nature has been my passion"

Who says things like this? Its a pretentious way of saying armchair pundit

It's something I take very seriously and hardly armchair.

social anthropology & sociology, ethnology, and criminology are course studies I have done.

Yes, it's a passion because as they say, 'know thy enemy.' It didn't start out that way mind you, but my misanthropy grew the more I began to understand people over the years.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

It's something I take very seriously and hardly armchair.

social anthropology & sociology, ethnology, and criminology are course studies I have done.

Yes, it's a passion because as they say, 'know thy enemy.' It didn't start out that way mind you, but my misanthropy grew the more I began to understand people over the years.

I suppose it's up to all of us to stand up when we are able, and to say 'It is wrong to talk like that'

In some circles, even in real, life, the person objecting to cruel/racist/whatever statements is on a losing wicket, but we just have to.

Here in Central Washington, the Neanderthal brand of 'hang em high' extreme right wingers get elected unopposed.

The guys at the club gave me a cigar and a glass of gin yesterday to celebrate my citizenship. I said something about a Rush Limbaugh impression and the range warden made a comment about you are not getting any of his drugs.

The mood changed, it went icey and silent and he had to apologise to the crowd of men who stood in a circle round him, for impuning Rush Limbaugh's credibility

I sometimes wonder if we have any idea of the true nature of our amiable friends with whom we never get into a serious conversation

There are few animals, even large predators, that will not run when they see a human and I can understand why

We share this world with 6.5 billion examples of the most dangerous species ever to live on this planet and we live in a state of truce rather than peace.

That is why I am all for making an effort not to live in hate - because we have the nature and the weapons to destroy each other and we use them for shear sadism.

I give as an example the small group of military officer cadets in Colorado who insisted everyone join their church. One guy who was a good cadet refused to join, so they made the admin officer change his exam results to 'Fail' and he was failed and his career ruined.

How can people do that ? Who are these humans ? How can anyone say they 'like people'. I think they should be considered one at a time and saying 'I like people' is dangerously ignoring what is out there.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They have the right to say it and you have the right to disagree. There are plenty of people who'll express their disapproval as this is probably one of the more diverse nations on the planet. The founding fathers never had an immigration policy to contend with.

You label actions as anti-Christian, anti-patriotic and anti-American as if you had a corner of the market. There's always some pushback to diversity especially during hard economic times but this country isn't responsible to absorb the rest of world's surplus population.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

I have found, over my many years specifically on internet message boards, that people will say and do anything because they can. Because the internet gives them the ability to remain faceless and nameless, and as such, the worse part of their nature can come out.

My husband and I had a falling out with the admins of the message board I we met when one of the 'senior members' posted KILL JEWS repeatedly in a post. When hubby and I objected, we were told by the admin that we were 'too old' to understand this young person's particular sense of humor. Uh, sure. He was doing that because the poster was an IRL friend of his, and he would defend him to the end instead of admit it possibly wasn't the best thing in the world to have done, no matter what he may have meant by it. AND the admin would not edit or remove the post either. Hubby and I were made out to be the bad guys and were summarily run out of there. All the better as far as I was concerned if that was deemed acceptable.

Point being - people do it because they can, and because no one can point the finger in their real faces and say 'you're out of line.' Hubby's point to that OP was there is no way you would walk in a pub somewhere and say something like that because you know you'd get your a$ kicked six ways til Sunday. But he didn't care - it was 'funny', and he knew at this point he would suffer no consequences. So why not push the limits of what is acceptable and see if you can get away with it?

Not entirely true. Sure, you won't walk into a metropolitan pub and say something like that in front of others (maybe...) but go to a neighborhood bar/establishment and you might be surprised at some of the things you'll hear. Just like that of which is on the internet.

It's more about knowing your audience or being comfortable in your surroundings than anything else. When people are online, they are usually at home and in their comfort zone, so it come natural to speak their mind. The internet has done more to show us how people really think rather than just crazy things said out loud. All of these things were talked about and said in the home before and at that local pub. There's just a bigger outlet for it now and you've got a bigger audience.

There's a home for everyone on the internet. To the most closeted homosexual to the biggest racist the world has ever seen. There's a community for everyone.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

They have the right to say it and you have the right to disagree. There are plenty of people who'll express their disapproval as this is probably one of the more diverse nations on the planet. The founding fathers never had an immigration policy to contend with.

You label actions as anti-Christian, anti-patriotic and anti-American as if you had a corner of the market. There's always some pushback to diversity especially during hard economic times but this country isn't responsible to absorb the rest of world's surplus population.

ok I am calling you on this. What is your opinion of someone who says Mexican families should be machine gunned in the river as they try to swim to the USA ?

You offer no words of condemnation on this statement.

Apart from saying they have a right to say it, do you have any opinion on whether what they advocate is anti christian or anti patriotic or anti american

Let's see your true colors - don't be shy

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I suppose it's up to all of us to stand up when we are able, and to say 'It is wrong to talk like that'

In some circles, even in real, life, the person objecting to cruel/racist/whatever statements is on a losing wicket, but we just have to.

Here in Central Washington, the Neanderthal brand of 'hang em high' extreme right wingers get elected unopposed.

The guys at the club gave me a cigar and a glass of gin yesterday to celebrate my citizenship. I said something about a Rush Limbaugh impression and the range warden made a comment about you are not getting any of his drugs.

The mood changed, it went icey and silent and he had to apologise to the crowd of men who stood in a circle round him, for impuning Rush Limbaugh's credibility

I sometimes wonder if we have any idea of the true nature of our amiable friends with whom we never get into a serious conversation

There are few animals, even large predators, that will not run when they see a human and I can understand why

We share this world with 6.5 billion examples of the most dangerous species ever to live on this planet and we live in a state of truce rather than peace.

That is why I am all for making an effort not to live in hate - because we have the nature and the weapons to destroy each other and we use them for shear sadism.

I give as an example the small group of military officer cadets in Colorado who insisted everyone join their church. One guy who was a good cadet refused to join, so they made the admin officer change his exam results to 'Fail' and he was failed and his career ruined.

How can people do that ? Who are these humans ? How can anyone say they 'like people'. I think they should be considered one at a time and saying 'I like people' is dangerously ignoring what is out there.

At the end of the day you're right on the money on a 'truce.'

The one statement (i've said it here before) that reigns supreme is that no matter what we do, no matter what laws or rules we make, you have no more rights than the person standing next to you allows you to have and vise versa.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

At the end of the day you're right on the money on a 'truce.'

The one statement (i've said it here before) that reigns supreme is that no matter what we do, no matter what laws or rules we make, you have no more rights than the person standing next to you allows you to have and vise versa.

I had to re-learn that when I got married again ....

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg