Glady

N-400 Question #7

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok I have been a green card holder since December 2007. I have had continuous residency but i have visited Canada numerous times about(10), just 3 day visits but i have not kept an inventory of my travel dates. How should treat this question since I don't have the dates or the exact number of times. Any dates i put on here will be a guesstimate. WIll that be a big deal? Thanks.

Sent I-130 ---october 23rd 2006

NO1 --- November 9th 2006

RFE for marriage certificate--- Jan 03 2007

RFE sent JAN 10th 2007

NO2 Jan 28th 2007

Sent DS3020 March 14th 2007 via email

Email accepted --- March 18th 2007

Sent both I864 and DS230 April 23rd 2007

RFE For both I864 and DS230 may 10th 2007

RFE reply Sent on may 14th 2007

Case completed May 29th 2007

Medicals: October 2nd 2007

Interview: November 27th 2007 *** APROVED

Visa received November 29th 2007

POE:Detroit December 4th, 2007

Applied for SSN: December 5th, 2007 Pending

SSN Received: December 12, 2007

Green card Received: December 29,2007

I751 September 8, 2009

Biometrics October 22, 2009

I-751 Approved November 18th, 2009

Done for good!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The form has to be filled out without lying. If you give your best estimates then you are not lying so it should not be a big deal. BUt try to remember as much as possible to make it better. That is my honest opinion, since you are not lying on the dates then it should be ok. Another thing you can do is leave it blank or fill the dates that you are sure of and then explain the rest to the IO at the interview. good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The form has to be filled out without lying. If you give your best estimates then you are not lying so it should not be a big deal. BUt try to remember as much as possible to make it better. That is my honest opinion, since you are not lying on the dates then it should be ok. Another thing you can do is leave it blank or fill the dates that you are sure of and then explain the rest to the IO at the interview. good luck

I don't think they will accept the application if the OP leaves that question blank. They may return the whole package as incomplete. I believe the OP's intention of guestimating the times will be better than leaving it blank.

Filed: Other Timeline

See Addendum *

Addendum:

I have visited Canada about ten times since becoming a LPR. All of these visits were just 3-day visits, so I did not break my continuous residence, but i have not kept an inventory of my travel dates, nor has my Canadian passport been stamped.

At the interview, the I.O. will ask you about this, and as long as you answer truthfully, you'll be fine. Guaranteed.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I know this will be a pain but is there not some way you can figure out the dates you visited Canada. Some ideas off the top of my head:

Did you not present some documentation when you crossed the border that was stamped (passport)

Did you fly? If so check your account for frequent flier miles for the dates.

Did you visit friends who might recall when you visited?

Did you use a credit card? If so look at the statements for purchases from Canada that will give you the dates you were there.

Did you take time off from work? Say a Friday so you could stay for a long weekend. Your employer might have a record of the vacation day.

I'm not sure "I've been there about 10 times for not more than 3 days each will suffice" but maybe it will work out.

LS

08.15.2005 Mailed I-129F USPS

01.11.2006 P.O.E Seattle. Welcome to the U.S.A.

02.10.2006 Married

AOS Journey

03.27.2006 I-485 Mailed

08.21.2006 Green Card Arrivesl

11.19.2006 Emma is born

Removing Conditions

07.07.2008 I-751 Mailed

04.30.2009 Date of Decision: Approved

05.14.2010 Lilly is born

Citizenship: The Final Chapter

10.26.2010 N-400 Mailed

11.02.2010 NOA

11.05.2010 Biometrics Letter

11.10.2010 Biometrics Completed (walk-in)

04.13.2011 Interview

04.13.2011 Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is water under the bridge I know, but during our AOS, interviewer stated to make sure we filed the I-751, so when we got home, downloaded it and put on a large sign on our refrigerator. Also learned about the N-400 and downloaded and read that form to get an idea of what we were up against. As we took trips, just took a few moments to record those on the form. Same is true about your employment and address history, you think twice before joining the Nazi Party, and you carefully watch your driving habits during this period of time. You know you came here and have already decided you want to stay, so better to be prepared than to let things drag where you are straining your brain. Also know you should be filing joint tax returns and a myriad of other things.

If you don't, you come to this board and ask what you should do, too late, where were you three years ago?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do the best you can. The purpose for this question is to make sure you satisfy the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. At approximately 10 trips of 3 days each - of which 2 days will include your departure from and return to the US and are not included in the total, that means you had around 10 days in total out of the US - not anywhere close to the limits of those requirements.

Did you visit for special occasions? Over Christmas? Family birthdays or celebrations? Do you keep a daybook or a calendar that would record the times you went? Did you or your spouse have to book time off of work to go or were they over weekends? Were they in the Summer? Winter? Do you recall any weather related incidents during the travel? If you drove did you buy gas in Canada using a credit card and can find that on past statements? Do family members remember when you visited? Do the best you can to remember the dates and perhaps add a statement written in to the question that you do not remember the exact dates as you were visiting friends and family back home but the total days away is between 10 and 30 days over the last 3 years,

You won't receive an RFE for this prior to the interview but you will need to be able to answer the question during the interview. Retrieving as much information as you can now will help and if you are able to remember/retrieve more by the time of the interview you can always update the application then.

As JustBob said, it won't be a problem as there isn't a question that you are any where near the limits for those two requirements.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.