VanessaTony

Getting a Licence in Iowa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

On Friday 3rd December I FINALLY took my first steps towards having a US licence in Iowa, Scott/Clinton County, or in Davenport (Kimberly Road) to be exact.

First a little background. I'm 27, and have a full Australian licence. As someone with an out-of-country licence I get treated the same as a new driver so I needed to undergo all the normal tests, including the knowledge, driving, and eyesight tests. If I was from Canada with a Canadian licence then I could have simply handed over my Canadian licence for a US one. Even though they are of course a different country, I was told they have an agreement or something with the US..

I only sat the knowledge portion of the test because I wanted to ensure I was fully covered by insurance should something happen while out driving for the test. While I'm a competent driver it was soon going to start snowing (I just didn't realise it would start later that day!) and I just didn't want to risk it.

I tried HARD to study the material but it's SO dry, nothing like the books we have in Australia. The day before the test I was reading questions out to mum online and decided to just show her how boring it was so I went to link the book from the website and noticed, to my horror, that they've released a new one since the last time I was on the website... They'd removed the test questions found at the end of each section (to be replaced by only 8 vague not really question so much as notes, at the end of the book) and 20ish pages were missing... I've been putting off this test for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to study it, so I wasn't putting it off again, even though I was SURE I was going to fail now :(

I tried to study that night but just kept getting frustrated so I went to bed instead. That morning (Friday 3rd Dec 2010) I felt a bit better and decided to upload the PDF to my Kindle to read on the drive (Tony was driving.. that sounds obvious to me that I wasn't driving but someone actually asked me if I was reading and driving at the same time :S).

Anyway I arrived at the office without an appointment (having called first to confirm I didn't need one). The lady asked to see my proof of living in Iowa for 30 days (the electric bill from our house), proof of residency (greencard) and proof of self (my passport). I could have shown my Australian licence (so I was told on the phone) but I had heard horror stories of them cutting up any other licences so I didn't want to risk it. Unfortunately there was a snag, although my GC was issued in JULY 2010, my name on the Immigration (and thus SSA) system was still registered as my maiden name. So, I had to show her proof of my maiden name (luckily my british passport hasn't been changed) and I also had my marriage licence from being at the SSA earlier that day (where I was told about the issue and the need for manual verification.. no big deal). So she put me in their system in my maiden name, and then used my marriage certificate to change it. :) She asked my height, weight, eye colour, and hair colour. She had me look in this thing that looked like one of those microscopes with two enclosed eye holes. When I looked through it some letters were lit up at the "end" of the box. She asked me to read the top line from left to right. While still looking in the box she had some LEDs flashing in my peripheral vision and she asked me to tell her whether they were on the left or right, and she did this multiple times.

Once I passed the vision testing she asked if I wore contacts, I told her no though she never checked (I don't). She then gave me a code to enter into the computer system in order to sit the test. There was a separate section of the office (not closed off but a wall dividing it from the waiting room) with about 10 computers. There was a phone where I could listen to the qn if I wanted (I didn't), and some noise cancelling headphones so I wasn't distracted (really good headphones.. i want some :P). There were a total of 25 possible qns. She told me I was allowed to get 5 wrong. I was also allowed to pass on the qns and if I got to the end of the 25 qns and hadn't got 5 wrong then i could retake the passed ones.. this wasn't entirely correct. What she didn't tell me was, if I got 20 correct then the test would end and i couldn't retake those qns. I passed on 3 qns and got 1 wrong. When I got to qn 24 the test ended telling me I passed. If I had never passed on the qns, the test would have ended at qn 21.. because I had 20 correct.. hope that makes sense. So there is NO WAY to get 25/25. The best is 20/25.. or really 20/20 because you never do the last 5. Myself, I don't count the passes as fails so I got 20/21 :P

Once I passed she had me come back to her desk and she finished entering my details on the system (asked for all my ID's and residency stuff again). She confirmed again that I didn't want to take the driving portion at that time and that I would only be issued with a learners permit and needed a qualified driver with me at all times (over 21). She had me confirm the info entered was correct, we paid $8 (cash 'cause credit and debit weren't working at that time) and sent me over to get my photo taken (no teeth allowed to show in the pic). In Iowa they issue you a temporary paper licence and mail the card out to you which they say you should get in 2 weeks or less.

So there you go. I am now the proud owner of a learners permit. I can go back at any time to take the driving portion of the test because I am old enough to not require a permit. We're hoping to do it sometime next week if it's not snowing too bad. Another reason for waiting until doing the driving part is I'm told I need to parallel. I'm quite good at parallel parking.. when i drive on the left hand side of the road and sit on the right hand side of the car.. haven't even attempted it here, and we only JUST got the truck insured so i've not driven it enough to know it's "quirks" or whatever.. plus it's manual and each gear box/clutch is different.

I will post again when I sit the driving part :) Hope this post gives some of you an idea of what to expect :)

**Edited for typos

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

On Friday 3rd December I FINALLY took my first steps towards having a US licence in Iowa, Scott/Clinton County, or in Davenport (Kimberly Road) to be exact.

First a little background. I'm 27, and have a full Australian licence. As someone with an out-of-country licence I needed to undergo all the normal tests, including the knowledge, driving, and eyesight tests. If I was from Canada with a Canadian licence then I could have simply handed over my Canadian licence for a US one. Even though they are of course a different country, I was told they have an agreement or something with the US..

I only sat the knowledge portion of the test because I wanted to ensure I was fully covered by insurance should something happen while out driving for the test. While I'm a competent driver it was soon going to start snowing (I just didn't realise it would start later that day!) and I just didn't want to risk it.

I tried HARD to study the material but it's SO dry, nothing like the books we have in Australia. The day before the test I was reading questions out to mum online and decided to just show her how boring it was so I went to link the book from the website and noticed, to my horror, that they've released a new one since the last time I was on the website... They'd removed the test questions found at the end of each section (to be replaced by only 8 vague not really question so much as notes, at the end of the book) and 20ish pages were missing... I've been putting off this test for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to study it, so I wasn't putting it off again, even though I was SURE I was going to fail now :(

I tried to study that night but just kept getting frustrated so I went to bed instead. That morning (Friday 3rd Dec 2010) I felt a bit better and decided to upload the PDF to my Kindle to read on the drive (Tony was driving.. that sounds obvious to me that I wasn't driving but someone actually asked me if I was reading and driving at the same time :S).

Anyway I arrived at the office without an appointment (having called first to confirm I didn't need one). The lady asked to see my proof of living in Iowa for 30 days (the electric bill from our house), proof of residency (greencard) and proof of self (my passport). I could have shown my Australian licence (so I was told on the phone) but I had heard horror stories of them cutting up any other licences so I didn't want to risk it. Unfortunately there was a snag, although my GC was issued in JULY 2010, my name on the Immigration (and thus SSA) system was still registered as my maiden name. So, I had to show her proof of my maiden name (luckily my british passport hasn't been changed) and I also had my marriage licence from being at the SSA earlier that day (where I was told about the issue and the need for manual verification.. no big deal). So she put me in their system in my maiden name, and then used my marriage certificate to change it. :) She asked my height, weight, eye colour, and hair colour. She had me look in this thing that looked like one of those microscopes with two enclosed eye holes. When I looked through it some letters were lit up at the "end" of the box. She asked me to read the top line from left to right. While still looking in the box she had some LEDs flashing in my peripheral vision and she asked me to tell her whether they were on the left or right, and she did this multiple times.

Once I passed the vision testing she asked if I wore contacts, I told her no though she never checked (I don't). She then gave me a code to enter into the computer system in order to sit the test. There was a separate section of the office (not closed off but a wall dividing it from the waiting room) with about 10 computers. There was a phone where I could listen to the qn if I wanted (I didn't), and some noise cancelling headphones so I wasn't distracted (really good headphones.. i want some :P). There were a total of 25 possible qns. She told me I was allowed to get 5 wrong. I was also allowed to pass on the qns and if I got to the end of the 25 qns and hadn't got 5 wrong then i could retake the passed ones.. this wasn't entirely correct. What she didn't tell me was, if I got 20 correct then the test would end and i couldn't retake those qns. I passed on 3 qns and got 1 wrong. When I got to qn 24 the test ended telling me I passed. If I had never passed on the qns, the test would have ended at qn 21.. because I had 20 correct.. hope that makes sense. So there is NO WAY to get 25/25. The best is 20/25.. or really 20/20 because you never do the last 5. Myself, I don't count the passes as fails so I got 20/21 :P

Once I passed she had me come back to her desk and she finished entering my details on the system (asked for all my ID's and residency stuff again). She confirmed again that I didn't want to take the driving portion at that time and that I would only be issued with a learners permit and needed a qualified driver with me at all times (over 21). She had me confirm the info entered was correct, we paid $8 (cash 'cause credit and debit weren't working at that time) and sent me over to get my photo taken (no teeth allowed to show in the pic). In Iowa they issue you a temporary paper licence and mail the card out to you which they say you should get in 2 weeks or less.

So there you go. I am now the proud owner of a learners permit. I can go back at any time to take the driving portion of the test because I am old enough to not require a permit. We're hoping to do it sometime next week if it's not snowing too bad. Another reason for waiting until doing the driving part is I'm told I need to parallel. I'm quite good at parallel parking.. when i drive on the left hand side of the road and sit on the right hand side of the car.. haven't even attempted it here, and we only JUST got the truck insured so i've not driven it enough to know it's "quirks" or whatever.. plus it's manual and each gear box/clutch is different.

I will post again when I sit the driving part :) Hope this post gives some of you an idea of what to expect :)

**Edited for typos

Oh gosh thanks for that Vanessa gives me some idea of what to expect now I just have to find out if I can get my license here or not without GC or with GC. Have not been able to get through to speak to anyone yet. But thanks again.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks for this! It gives me an idea of what my husband will have to go through when it's time for him to get a license here in Iowa. He currently is not a licensed driver anywhere so I'm not sure how he'll go about getting one, but if he's able to get the learner's permit like you were that would be fine for him! I'll be interested in hearing how your driving test goes, I've never had to take one thankfully.

event.png

Timeline
Thanks for this! It gives me an idea of what my husband will have to go through when it's time for him to get a license here in Iowa. He currently is not a licensed driver anywhere so I'm not sure how he'll go about getting one, but if he's able to get the learner's permit like you were that would be fine for him! I'll be interested in hearing how your driving test goes, I've never had to take one thankfully.

No problem :) I've edited the OP because of your post, I realised i wasn't clear enough, specifically here:

As someone with an out-of-country licence I get treated the same as a new driver so I needed to undergo all the normal tests, including the knowledge, driving, and eyesight tests.

So basically your husband will be treated exactly the same as me because even though I have a licence, the US doesn't recognise my Aussie licence. If he's older than 18 (which I'm sure he is :P) he will get a full licence the same as me. I got the permit to practice driving. Whenever he's ready (like me) he will just go in and take the driving portion, or he can do both at the same time. I just didn't feel ready.

Here's the drivers licence manual: http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd//ods/dlmanual.htm

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
good luck in your test! it's pretty easy lol, but i didn't have to drive in this awful weather for the test.

Thanks! It's definitely icky weather! We have a blizzard warning for tonight and my husband is at work till 6am... Nerve-wracking stuff. I hope he misses the blizzard! He told me to turn up the central air though in case of a power-outage.. made me realise we don't have alternatives for heat/cooking if the power goes out!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife and I went through the same process in central Iowa. She passed the written with flying colors and was actually able to get her permit while we were adjusting status. The driving part was exceedingly difficult because there are so many foreign students here, and they are very strict with the tests, as she took it 4 times but got the full license in August. She cried and everyone was really happy as they had all gotten to know her over the summer :)

What ever you do do not speed, practice your parallel parking ahead of time, and make complete stops. This is what got her the first few times.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, breaking the law on the driving test is (or used to be, it's been about 15 years since I took the test :lol:) an automatic failure. So keep an eye on the speed, do full stops, make sure to use your turn signals, etc. Parallel parking isn't a guaranteed test item -- I only know one person who's had to do it -- but you can be slow and have no problems.

L has his learner's permit, but I don't think he plans on getting a driver's license until he needs to.

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Timeline
Oh wow so you need a green card to apply for a drivers license? Was hoping all you needed was the SS number.

GC or EAD yes.

You can TRY and get your licence before you have an EAD/greencard as long as your I-94 is still valid but the licence would only be valid till your I-94 expires so usually they tell you they can't issue a licence till you have the EAD or GC. If you get the licence on the EAD it will only be valid for a year because the EAD is only valid a year. So you'll need to go back once you get your GC to have the licence validity extended.

In regards to SSN, bear in mind whatever name is on your SSN will be your licence name. So if you have it in your maiden name you will need to show them your marriage certificate to get it issued in married name.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

GC or EAD yes.

You can TRY and get your licence before you have an EAD/greencard as long as your I-94 is still valid but the licence would only be valid till your I-94 expires so usually they tell you they can't issue a licence till you have the EAD or GC. If you get the licence on the EAD it will only be valid for a year because the EAD is only valid a year. So you'll need to go back once you get your GC to have the licence validity extended.

In regards to SSN, bear in mind whatever name is on your SSN will be your licence name. So if you have it in your maiden name you will need to show them your marriage certificate to get it issued in married name.

Actually this depends on the state, and for Iowa at least, is incorrect. You can get a 6 months validity on the license if your I-94 is expired and you can demonstrate that you have applied for AOS and it is pending approval. We showed them NOA2, I-94, SS#, marriage license and got 6 months. They extended it to two years after we received the green card.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Timeline

I believe this may be one area that you can get different response from different people. If you follow the literal interpretation, the Iowa DOT policy does not explicitly allow one to get a license while one's I-485 is pending.

• If an immigrant entered via K1, they have a 30 day minimum residency before being eligible to apply for a license (and again, the issue of residency transferring via marriage seems to depend on whether or not that person will accept it - marriage certificates are not explicitly listed as acceptable), and have 90 days of status. With the 30 days of status requirement, they are eligible to apply from day 31-60, but it will expire on day 90.
  • If your EAD or AP gets accepted (roughly 2 months after filing), then you are again able to apply for a drivers license so long as your card is valid for 30 days after issuance.
  • There is no indication below that they accept a NOA as proof of status, so for those two months between NOA and EAD/AP or 3-4 months until GC? As it's not explicitly approved, you can be told no if you are out of status just as easily as yes.

Licenses and ID cards issued to temporary foreign nationals must be limited to the period of time the foreign national is authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to stay in the country, not to exceed two years. There must be at least 30 days of status time remaining.

Approved and acceptable United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents:

Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578)

Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)

Permanent Resident Card (I-551)

Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) with attached photo and stamped “Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident”

Valid foreign passport stamped “Processed for I-551”

Travel Document indicating Permit to Re-enter (I-327)

Refugee Travel Document (I-571)

Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) in a Certificate of Identity

Employment Authorization Card (I-688A, I-688B, or I-766)

Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) stamped “Refugee,” “Parolee,” or “Asylee”

Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) coded Section 207 (Refugee), 208 (Asylum), 209 (Refugees), 212d(5) (Parolee), HP (Humanitarian Parolee), or PIP (Public Interest Parolee).

©Iowa Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division

Updated: November 17, 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Timeline
Actually this depends on the state, and for Iowa at least, is incorrect. You can get a 6 months validity on the license if your I-94 is expired and you can demonstrate that you have applied for AOS and it is pending approval. We showed them NOA2, I-94, SS#, marriage license and got 6 months. They extended it to two years after we received the green card.

I am very happy for you but according to their rules this isn't allowed. I'm not really surprised though honestly, SSA don't know their rules, USCIS sometimes sends false RFE's.. just happens this worked in your favour so yay! It's most definitely not the norm from others who've discussed this with me (and the Iowa DOT itself).

Maybe the rules changed since you arrived? Maybe you got lucky? Maybe this IS the rule but you got the one person who knows how to make it work.. in either event, nothing is lost by trying, I simply ask that people be aware that they MAY get denied and MAY get told to wait until they have the EAD or GC.

Out of interest, as K&L mentioned, you've just been given ID stating you're legally able to remain in the US for 6 months, that's inaccurate. Maybe I'm just thinking wrong but that was one of the issues with the new Arizona laws (people renewing their licences had to prove status to get a new licence). You have no proof of status because you have no status. You're AOS pending yes, but as is frequently mentioned that isn't actually a legally recognised status. Your status is simply "out of status" but if confronted by ICE you can show your AOS NOA1 to show that you have filed and aren't deportable (even that sometimes doesn't work). It's sad and annoying but really you're "nothing" to the US once your I-94 expires until you get your EAD or GC so I'm really surprised they let you get it.

But hey, like I said, can't hurt to try and at least you were one of the lucky ones :D

Timeline

I am very happy for you but according to their rules this isn't allowed. I'm not really surprised though honestly, SSA don't know their rules, USCIS sometimes sends false RFE's.. just happens this worked in your favour so yay! It's most definitely not the norm from others who've discussed this with me (and the Iowa DOT itself).

Maybe the rules changed since you arrived? Maybe you got lucky? Maybe this IS the rule but you got the one person who knows how to make it work.. in either event, nothing is lost by trying, I simply ask that people be aware that they MAY get denied and MAY get told to wait until they have the EAD or GC.

For the sake of exactness, as per his signature and previous post, his wife took the exam (and passed) in August and had gotten her EAD in July. By the time she actually passed, she was eligible via the EAD. IMHO, if she had passed prior to the EAD approval in July (while she was out of status, but with a pending AOS), despite being allowed to sit for the exam by the local office & passing the exam, the centralized system that actually produces the license (and verifies everything through USCIS/SSA) would have refused to issue it. That is, in fact, one of the big reasons they moved to a centralized system for issuing the licenses and identification: to ensure that the policies were being rigorously followed to the letter.

Timeline
For the sake of exactness, as per his signature and previous post, his wife took the exam (and passed) in August and had gotten her EAD in July. By the time she actually passed, she was eligible via the EAD. IMHO, if she had passed prior to the EAD approval in July (while she was out of status, but with a pending AOS), despite being allowed to sit for the exam by the local office & passing the exam, the centralized system that actually produces the license (and verifies everything through USCIS/SSA) would have refused to issue it. That is, in fact, one of the big reasons they moved to a centralized system for issuing the licenses and identification: to ensure that the policies were being rigorously followed to the letter.

Oooohhh. See I have sigs disabled (some are ridiculously long) and didn't realise they had their EAD when she got her licence. Well then that makes sense... she got her licence based on the EAD.

JD63 didn't mention their EAD in the post and their post definitely made it seem like they got their licence just on showing "pending AOS". So thank you for clarifying 'cause otherwise people might waste their time. It's funny you mention it, so many people have reported thinking all was well, being allowed to sit the tests and what not then being told right at the end "you aren't eligible, sorry". So what happens then? Do they need to sit the tests again? That was something I never found out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.