PATOS

Civil Wedding ok for the K-1?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi folks, I need some advice about marriage once the fiance' arrives into the US. I have a speed bump in the road that I didn't learn about until today.

My fiance is from the Philippines and she is Catholic. I am Christian and grew up in a baptist church but consider myself as non denominational Christian now. I gave my fiance the choice to get married where ever she wanted, (Catholic church, non denominational, Vegas style chapel, where ever)

My fiance wants to get married in the Catholic church and I said Sure no problem. Here's the speed bump... I called the Catholic church we have attended 2 times since she has been here in the US with me to find out what we need to do about reserving a date.

I learned from the Sister that my fiance first has to register with the church and then go through some sort of preparation course BUT the earliest we could be married is 6 months because of the prep course \ things we have to abide by under the Catholic rules.

She said that as far as she knows ALL Catholic churches have those same rules and 6 months is the quickest we could be married unless we are military, which we arent.

Now everyone here knows we have to get married within 3 months so I am guessing there's NO way my fiance will be able to get married in the Catholic church right?

The sister said we could do a civil wedding and then be married 6 or 8 months later in the Catholic church but is a Civil wedding good enough for Immigration and then later we can do the Cathoic ceremony in the church?

Thanks for the advice. :D

Oct. 22, 2005 >> Mailed I-129F to TSC

Nov. 4, 2005 >> I-129F forwarded from TSC to CSC

Nov. 10, 2005 >> NOA1 Received from Laguna Niguel, CA Office

Feb. 2, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received via Email

Feb. 6, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received (Paper Copy) USPS

Feb. 13, 2006 >> File arrived at NVC

Feb. 14, 2006 >> Faxed NVC to request change of Embassy for my fiancee as she moved from the Philippines to Canada Jan 20 2006

Feb. 15, 2006 >> NVC had me fax a 2nd request for Req of Change of Embassy.

Feb. 16, 2006 >> Called to ck on 2nd fax request, too late, file sent to US Embassy in Manila.

Feb. 21, 2006 >> Called US Embassy in Manila to ask for Req for change of Embassy to Vancouver. The representative said it shows the request already made. (Evidently from the NVC or Vancouver)

April 3, 2006 >> Received call from Vancouver US Consulate informing me that my fiancee needed to fax them a copy of her Canadian work permit, our case #, current address and phone #. Fiancee faxed requested documents that same day.

April 20, 2006 >> Packet 3 rec'd from Vancouver US Consulate.

April 24, 2006 >> Fiance' faxed DS-230 to Vancouver US Consulate

April 24, 2006 >> I scheduled medical examination for my fiance' for May 1, 2006 $220 Canadian.

The simple answer is yes. Have the civil wedding to fufill the legal requirements and then marry in the Church once you are ready to do so.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
The sister said we could do a civil wedding and then be married 6 or 8 months later in the Catholic church but is a Civil wedding good enough for Immigration and then later we can do the Cathoic ceremony in the church?

Thanks for the advice. :D

Her advice is correct - follow it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lots of VJ couples just had civil services. You can have the big Catholic wedding after you finish the church requirements.

Best wishes.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is exactly what we did... We did a Civil Wedding to meet the K-1 requirements and than had the Catholic wedding 10 months later. Doing it this way is completely valid in the eyes of the church.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey All Thanks for the replies! That is what we'll do then. Thanks again!

Oct. 22, 2005 >> Mailed I-129F to TSC

Nov. 4, 2005 >> I-129F forwarded from TSC to CSC

Nov. 10, 2005 >> NOA1 Received from Laguna Niguel, CA Office

Feb. 2, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received via Email

Feb. 6, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received (Paper Copy) USPS

Feb. 13, 2006 >> File arrived at NVC

Feb. 14, 2006 >> Faxed NVC to request change of Embassy for my fiancee as she moved from the Philippines to Canada Jan 20 2006

Feb. 15, 2006 >> NVC had me fax a 2nd request for Req of Change of Embassy.

Feb. 16, 2006 >> Called to ck on 2nd fax request, too late, file sent to US Embassy in Manila.

Feb. 21, 2006 >> Called US Embassy in Manila to ask for Req for change of Embassy to Vancouver. The representative said it shows the request already made. (Evidently from the NVC or Vancouver)

April 3, 2006 >> Received call from Vancouver US Consulate informing me that my fiancee needed to fax them a copy of her Canadian work permit, our case #, current address and phone #. Fiancee faxed requested documents that same day.

April 20, 2006 >> Packet 3 rec'd from Vancouver US Consulate.

April 24, 2006 >> Fiance' faxed DS-230 to Vancouver US Consulate

April 24, 2006 >> I scheduled medical examination for my fiance' for May 1, 2006 $220 Canadian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

That's what we're going to do!! Getting married in NYC and obtaining the marriage cert the day he gets off the plane!! Then waiting the required 24 hours and then doin' the deed!!

Toria and Salvador

Met Salvador on internet dating website Dreammates.com April 2002

We decided to meet in person Buenos Aires, Argentina August 2002

1st K1 petition approved w/ interview date March 2004

Didn't attend interview, we decided Salvador should first return to Cuba

Petitioners First Name: Toria

Beneficiaries First Name: Salvador

Visa Type: K1

Beneficiary's Country: Cuba

Service Center: VSC

Embassy: U.S. Interests Section, Havana, Cuba

Date I-129F Sent (mailed USPS Overnight) : 12/18/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Received Date) : 12/21/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Notice Date) : 12/29/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Received Snail Mail) : 1/5/06

Touched! 1/4/06

I-129F RFE(s) : NONE

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 1/31/06 34 days!!

Date Package Received By NVC: 2/3/06

Date Package Left From NVC: 2/9/06

Date Received By Consulate : 2/21/06

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) : 2/22/06

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) : 4/28/06

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): 5/9/06

Interview Date : 8/8/06

Date Visa Received : 8/8/06

Date Applied for Cuban Exit Visa : 8/10/06

Date Rec Cuban Exit Visa : 2/6/07

Date of US Entry : 2/7/07

Date of Wedding : 2/8/07

Not trying to throw a nix in here but....my first marriage was in the Catholic Church, I was Catholic, my partner was not. I was already part of a "home" parish, but we weren't allowed to marry in the Church, until we had attended classes. Part of the ceremony also included that any children of this union would be raised Catholic. Just something to think about. You yourself might be required to take classes in the faith for about 6 months before they would approve a wedding. Maybe each region/country is different. I'm sure your finance is pretty "liberal" since if it was of utmost importance, or something that she HAD to do, you'd probably have to be Catholic in the first place. I'm certainly not defending this practice! I'm divorced from my first marriage, so I'm goin' to hell....and not even allowed to participate in sacraments. Oh well.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We are having 2 weddings. The first one was here (in Vegas) so we could meet the requirments of the K-1. Next year we plan to have the big church wedding on Brazil for her family.

K-1 Journey*

Nov 2004 Met in Recife

02-01-06 I-129F Sent to VSC

04-26-06 Interview APPROVED!!!!!!!

05-18-06 Eliana arrived in New York

07-22-06 Married in Las Vegas!!!!!

AOS/AP Journey*

07-25-06 I-485 and I-131 Sent to Chicago

08-18-06 Biometrics Appointment (Completed)

10-06-06 AP Approved

10-11-06 AOS Approved (without interview)

10-20-06 Green Card Received!! Done until July 2008

01-27-07 Second Wedding (in Brazil)

I-751 Journey*

07-09-08 I-751 Sent to VSC

09-16-08 Biometrics Appointment (Completed)

02-25-09 Transferred to CSC

03-20-09 Approved (without interview)

03-27-09 Emily is born!!!

04-07-09 Green Card Received!!

11-18-11 Lucas is born!!!

N-400 Journey*

12-15-11 N-400 Sent to Texas

02-09-12 Biometrics Appointmnet (Completed)

03-21-12 Interview (Approved)

03-21-12 Oath Ceremony

PROCESS IS DONE!!!!!!

*See Profile for detailed list of all dates

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.