one...two...tree

Congress fails to extend jobless benefits, hitting 21,000 Kentuckians

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

With Christmas less than a month away, more than 21,000 Kentuckians are expected to lose their unemployment benefits this week after Congress did not act Tuesday to extend emergency benefits, according to state officials.

And the number of affected Kentuckians will surpass 75,000 within the next eight weeks if Congress keeps the benefits extension cut, said Lanny Brannock, spokesman for the state Office of Employment and Training.

Frustration and some despair Tuesday flooded the Jobs Center, where Lexington's unemployed go to register for benefits and look for work. Quietly waiting among the many there, Latoya Collins, 27, said maybe Congress doesn't notice the working man.

"Look, they got jobs," Collins said.

She'll be talking to her family about moving in with them and looking for a job without money, which is harder than it sounds, she said. She hasn't been without a job since she was 15, she said.

It is the third time this year the nation's lawmakers let the emergency benefits expire, even though the nation's unemployment rate remains steady at 9.6 percent. In those cases, jobless workers got retroactive benefits once legislation was passed.

The benefit extensions granted over the past two years have given the nation's long-term jobless up to 73 weeks of financial help, depending on the state's jobless rate, beyond the usual 26-week benefit.

Nationwide, the number of people slated to lose benefits is estimated at 2 million.

Both U.S. senators from Kentucky, Republicans Mitch McConnell and Jim Bunning, oppose the benefit extension, noting the extra spending would increase the national deficit. Democratic U.S. Rep. Ben Chandler of Versailles has supported the extension in the past but could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

To read the complete article, visit www.kentucky.com.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchy...l#ixzz16sE1bpNq

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Steven believes in a Cradle To Grave Welfare state for all....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Yeah this isn't two years ago. People are finding work now. I hear it all the time.

Where are the jobs for these Kentuckians (75,000 of them within the next month)?

Filed: Timeline

Where are the jobs for these Kentuckians (75,000 of them within the next month)?

They don't have to be Kentuckians. They can be South Dakotans.

And besides, not everyone who is on unemployment is going to end up in the labor force when all is said and done. That is just how it works out.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Steven believes in a Cradle To Grave Welfare state for all....

How about a legit response Paul, rather than the hackeneyed partisan #######.

That is an outdated way of looking at markets. Jobs and industries move, and people become redundant. It is their job to find a new job or industry, not the other way around, and it is not the job of the government to find you a job. It doesn't even pain me a little to agree with conservatives on this issue.

They don't have to be Kentuckians. They can be South Dakotans.

And besides, not everyone who is on unemployment is going to end up in the labor force when all is said and done. That is just how it works out.

+1

There are far too many nescient people out there who think that a 100% employment rate is attainable if we try hard enough.

Timeline

There are far too many nescient people out there who think that a 100% employment rate is attainable if we try hard enough.

I don't think you can lick the tip of your finger in the air and decide when unemployment is no longer helping these people. I don't know what the unemployment rate is in Kentucky, but you have to look at several indicators as to whether letting unemployment benefits is prudent. There is a possibility that such a large hit of people out of work and no more unemployment could further throw the state into further economic turmoil. I agree that at some point, the extensions should cease, but I don't agree that this is the right time to do it without enough evidence that the economy can survive that many people out of work.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you can lick the tip of your finger in the air and decide when unemployment is no longer helping these people. I don't know what the unemployment rate is in Kentucky, but you have to look at several indicators as to whether letting unemployment benefits is prudent. There is a possibility that such a large hit of people out of work and no more unemployment could further throw the state into further economic turmoil. I agree that at some point, the extensions should cease, but I don't agree that this is the right time to do it without enough evidence that the economy can survive that many people out of work.

I think we should try to help people get jobs, but there is an extent to which the government can help and should help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

I think we should try to help people get jobs, but there is an extent to which the government can help and should help.

Yep, we agree with that. Helping these people to find jobs is the right way to go but to extend UI past 99 weeks turns it from UI to welfair.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I agree that at some point, the extensions should cease, but I don't agree that this is the right time to do it without enough evidence that the economy can survive that many people out of work.

Ahh but the benefits aren't getting them jobs and the economy is currently getting by with them all out of work.

Maybe once they aren't being paid to do nothing they will be more motivated to find something.

I've worked some pretty crappy jobs for ridiculous wages so that I could feed my kids. In difficult times those who really want to succeed will find a way.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Yep, we agree with that. Helping these people to find jobs is the right way to go but to extend UI past 99 weeks turns it from UI to welfair.

But they aren't doing this, they are only continuing the program. If it is not extended the number goes back to roughly 26 weeks. They haven't actually added more UI on the system in the form of tiers for over a year.

I agree with Steven that the program should be continued until unemployment drops to 8.5%....though I would probably argue that the program should be lowered to 55 weeks now that the economy is adding jobs again. Once 8.5% is achieved then let the system expire.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've worked some pretty crappy jobs for ridiculous wages so that I could feed my kids. In difficult times those who really want to succeed will find a way.

Agree.

I have an old friend who doesn't want her business to grow (flower arrangements) because she's afraid she will loose her "government money".

IR-5 Petition for Mother:

12-31-10 - Sent Form I-130

01-04-11 - NOA 1

01-10-11 - Check cashed

05-09-11 - NOA 2

----------

05-18-11 - Case Number, IIN, E-mailed DS-3032

05-19-11 - Paid AOS Fee $88.00

05-23-11 - AOS shows "PAID"

05-24-11 - Paid IV Fee $404.00

05-26-11 - IV Fee shows "PAID"

05-28-11 - Mailed I-864

06-13-11 - I-864 accepted

06-20-11 - Mailed DS-230

07-07-11 - SIF and Case Complete

07-19-11 - Passed the two-day medical

09-06-11 - Visa Approved

09-08-11 - Visa On-Hand

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Agree.

I have an old friend who doesn't want her business to grow (flower arrangements) because she's afraid she will loose her "government money".

I have a cousin who is always complaining about how hard life is since she lost her job late last year...

When she took her trip to London (yes, unemployed complaining about money and could afford to spend 2 wks in London) she "had to" go out and buy a brand new netbook for the trip (despite being offered a loaner by a few relatives).

Basically she's allowed herself to go from a productive member of society to a welfare recipient and won't do anything except complain how it's all someone else's fault. In the meantime she gets free college tuition and a whole list of other benefits that we are paying for.