Amby

The 5 Stupidest Questions People Ask The Butterball Turkey Hotline

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If you've ever wondered why companies like Butterball have a Turkey Talk-Line to help people cook a bird that, in theory, shouldn't require all that much effort, here are some examples why.

A Reuters editor talked to the call-fielders at Butterball and came back with these head-scratching gems:

*Is it okay to thaw my turkey in the bathtub while bathing my kids?

*Can I brine my turkey in the washing machine?

*Can I use my oven's self-cleaning cycle to speed up the cooking process?

*If I cut my turkey with a chainsaw will the oil affect the taste?

*Can I take my frozen turkey into my sauna to thaw it faster?

If you need to know the answers to any of these, then you should probably call the Butterball line... or order in for Thanksgiving.

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-5-stupidest-questions-people-ask-the-butterball-turkey-hotline.html

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Timeline

this is the original article. I couldn't get it to load at first...

It’s that time again, when no matter how well you’ve hidden your stupidity during the year, it’s going to come out when you try to cook your Thanksgiving turkey.

It turns out, this is the ultimate IQ test. Just ask the folks who answer the phones at that Butterball Turkey Talk-Line, where any moron can call in and get expert advice simply by saying the words, “God help me, I am way too stupid to live…”

Here are some actual questions the Butterball experts have fielded during past Thanksgivings. Remember, these are from regular people, who can vote and own firearms and sing at karaoke bars, just like you and me:

Is it okay to thaw my turkey in the bathtub while bathing my kids?

Can I brine my turkey in the washing machine?

Can I use my oven’s self-cleaning cycle to speed up the cooking process?

If I cut my turkey with a chainsaw will the oil affect the taste?

Can I take my frozen turkey into my sauna to thaw it faster?

If you look at online cooking sites, you’ll find that some of their “expert” advice is pretty bizarre, too.

One Website, noting that the turkey usually cooks somewhat unevenly, seriously advises serving your dinner in a low light level so your guests can’t get a good look at the finished bird. I’m not making this up.

“Okay, everybody down to the cellar, it’s time to eat! Ma, turn out the lights, I’m bringin’ in the turkey!

Of course, this tactic gives you the chance to use a razor-sharp carving knife at close quarters in near-total darkness. What could possibly go wrong?

Isn’t it much smarter to keep the lights on but blindfold everybody? That’s what we do at our house.

So best of luck on Thanksgiving. And remember this anecdote from one story about the Talk-Line. A disappointed woman called Butterball wondering why her turkey had no breast meat. It turned out she had cooked it upside-down.

Can you believe that somebody actually… Oh, wait a minute. I did the exact same thing a few years ago. Seriously.

God help me, I am way too stupid to live…

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/2010/11/22/are-you-smarter-than-your-turkey/

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Isn’t it much smarter to keep the lights on but blindfold everybody? That’s what we do at our house.

How pleasantly kinky. :wacko:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you've ever wondered why companies like Butterball have a Turkey Talk-Line to help people cook a bird that, in theory, shouldn't require all that much effort, here are some examples why.

A Reuters editor talked to the call-fielders at Butterball and came back with these head-scratching gems:

*Is it okay to thaw my turkey in the bathtub while bathing my kids?

*Can I brine my turkey in the washing machine?

*Can I use my oven's self-cleaning cycle to speed up the cooking process?

*If I cut my turkey with a chainsaw will the oil affect the taste?

*Can I take my frozen turkey into my sauna to thaw it faster?

If you need to know the answers to any of these, then you should probably call the Butterball line... or order in for Thanksgiving.

http://consumerist.c...ey-hotline.html

how does this differ from my everyday life? .....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the sauna idea is clever...I would probably be tempted to do that if I had a sauna. I have no idea if that would wreck the turkey. People thaw frozen turkeys in very hot countries, don't they? What would be the difference? :lol:

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It is not neither. :bonk:

BOING!

stovetop.jpg

you do know where to insert this, don't you?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It is not neither. :bonk:

BOING!

We don't hit ladies on the head, caveman.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Why are you insulting cavemen?

They charge me too much on my insurance.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif