J & J

Do I need to apply for AOS before K-1 expirary date?

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just have a quick question...

Would it matter if I filed for AOS after my K-1 expires? I believe the date on the K-1 just means you have to be married by that date? It this right? I'm going to start on my papers tomorrow, we just got married on the 14th of Nov, but been overly busy. My expiration date is on the 6th of Dec, I should have it in by then anyways, but just was curious.

Thanks and hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!!

For more information on our journey please see our 'About Me' page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you can file after your K-1 expiration. K-1 expiration is the date you have to be married by, which you know already. :)

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Technically, your K1 visa is not valid anymore once you entered the US in September. The date I think you have in mind is the one on the I-94, right? You were supposed to get married within the time frame of 3 months...and you did. While it is not mandatory that you apply for AOS before I-94 expires, it is advisable that you do so. There have been couples that applied for AOS months after the I-94 expired and they didn't encounter any problems, but that's not recommended. Bottom line, if you start working on your papers soon and send them off as soon as possible (even after Dec. 6), you will be just fine... Good luck!

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

Sorry guys, got a bit lost...just to confirm: you have to enter the states/activate your K1 visa prior to the expiration date, then marry within 90 days after entry...right?

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry guys, got a bit lost...just to confirm: you have to enter the states/activate your K1 visa prior to the expiration date, then marry within 90 days after entry...right?

Yep, what happens is that the visa itself is only valid for that one entry. After that, it's not valid. Your I-94, a piece of paper that will be stapled to your passport, will have an expiry date on it. You need to get married before that date...

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Yep, what happens is that the visa itself is only valid for that one entry. After that, it's not valid. Your I-94, a piece of paper that will be stapled to your passport, will have an expiry date on it. You need to get married before that date...

Gotcha, thanks (as always!), B

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was specifically told by my POE officer to file before my 1-94 expires (the paper they stapled to your pp). It shouldn't take you longer than a day to file your AOS because it asks more or less the same things as the K1. Just need more up to date copies on somethings... and if it's been over 6 months since your medical then you need to meet with a civil surgeon I believe. Can't remember the timeline on that.

Either way it's best to just get it done asap :)

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol booh I must have been half asleep when I wrote that reply yesterday. I was thinking of the I-94 expiration, not the K-1. :lol:

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

I didn't file until a month after my I-94 expired. Legally, you do not have to file before the end of the I-94 expiry date. For example, if you married on the last date you probably wouldn't have the paperwork (i.e. marriage certificate) ready to go on that date also. But it's best to get it done as soon as possible.

Moving from the Canada Forum to the AOS forum.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I was specifically told by my POE officer to file before my 1-94 expires (the paper they stapled to your pp). It shouldn't take you longer than a day to file your AOS because it asks more or less the same things as the K1. Just need more up to date copies on somethings... and if it's been over 6 months since your medical then you need to meet with a civil surgeon I believe. Can't remember the timeline on that.

Either way it's best to just get it done asap :)

That's because PoE officers don't know as much as they should :S

You need to be married by the I-94 date. You can file AOS whenever you like... in fact in reality, you really NEVER have to file AOS.. but here are the issues...

- You cannot leave, if you do, you will need a new visa to re-enter

- you cannot work, legally that is. If caught you and your employer are in lots of trouble

- you can be detained and locked up by ICE (once your I-94 is expired). They won't necessarily deport you, but lots of $$ there

- you can't get a drivers licence or ID with an expired I-94

Fee's will probably go up AGAIN as well. it's just really inconvenient as well as really making you feel like an alien when you're already struggling with "homesickness"' and then you can't do anything and you're too scared to leave the house in case you get asked for status docs. Let alone if something happens "back home" you can't go and visit and come back to the US easily..

As for the forms and medicals. First you need an I-864 for AOS, where for the K1 it was an I-134.. majority of docs are just updates to the ones for K1's.. it's not really too hard. BUT for the medical.. your medical is valid for TWELVE months but your immunisations might not be. You should as a rule see a CS to make sure your shots on the DS-3025 are up to date which s/he will then transcribe into the I-693.. you don't need a whole medical. You can just send the DS-3025 if you don't want to pay for a transcription and if you're okay with a possible RFE.

That's because PoE officers don't know as much as they should :S

You need to be married by the I-94 date. You can file AOS whenever you like... in fact in reality, you really NEVER have to file AOS.. but here are the issues...

- You cannot leave, if you do, you will need a new visa to re-enter

- you cannot work, legally that is. If caught you and your employer are in lots of trouble

- you can be detained and locked up by ICE (once your I-94 is expired). They won't necessarily deport you, but lots of $$ there

- you can't get a drivers licence or ID with an expired I-94

Fee's will probably go up AGAIN as well. it's just really inconvenient as well as really making you feel like an alien when you're already struggling with "homesickness"' and then you can't do anything and you're too scared to leave the house in case you get asked for status docs. Let alone if something happens "back home" you can't go and visit and come back to the US easily..

As for the forms and medicals. First you need an I-864 for AOS, where for the K1 it was an I-134.. majority of docs are just updates to the ones for K1's.. it's not really too hard. BUT for the medical.. your medical is valid for TWELVE months but your immunisations might not be. You should as a rule see a CS to make sure your shots on the DS-3025 are up to date which s/he will then transcribe into the I-693.. you don't need a whole medical. You can just send the DS-3025 if you don't want to pay for a transcription and if you're okay with a possible RFE.

Oh, I don't know about POE officers not knowing as much as they should.

They know an alien with an expired I-94 is out of status (if that alien has not filed to adjust their status and therefore not under "color of law" to remain in the US).

Meaning that the real issue with being in the US on an expired I-94 isn't all the things you listed, Vanessa. The things you listed happen BECAUSE the alien is out of status. That is the issue. All a person has to do to avoid those problems is file.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.