horologium

Names on Social Security Card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi guys, hoping to get some advise about changing my name on my social security card here.

Some background:

My name in my passport and K1 visa is listed as "LastName EthnicName FirstName MiddleName" (Example: Lee Li Ming Jane Joan). This is pretty much the conventional way names are written/recorded where I'm from.

I have a social security number from many moons back when I was a college student in the US on an F1 student visa. The school applied for SSNs for all international students, and the name they used on my social security card was "EthnicName FirstName LastName" (Ex. Li Ming Jane Lee).

Meanwhile, I've always used "FirstName MiddleName LastName" for pretty much everything in the US. My bank accounts, credit cards, and even my new green card has "Jane Joan Lee" on it.

Presently:

Right now, I'm in a bit of a fix. My local social security office says they can't change the name on my social security card since the name on my green card does not exactly match the name on my passport. To compound this problem, the local BMV will not test/issue me a driver's license since the name on my social security card does not match the name on my green card.

Any suggestions about how I may solve this problem would be very, very much appreciated.

Hi guys, hoping to get some advise about changing my name on my social security card here.

Some background:

My name in my passport and K1 visa is listed as "LastName EthnicName FirstName MiddleName" (Example: Lee Li Ming Jane Joan). This is pretty much the conventional way names are written/recorded where I'm from.

I have a social security number from many moons back when I was a college student in the US on an F1 student visa. The school applied for SSNs for all international students, and the name they used on my social security card was "EthnicName FirstName LastName" (Ex. Li Ming Jane Lee).

Meanwhile, I've always used "FirstName MiddleName LastName" for pretty much everything in the US. My bank accounts, credit cards, and even my new green card has "Jane Joan Lee" on it.

Presently:

Right now, I'm in a bit of a fix. My local social security office says they can't change the name on my social security card since the name on my green card does not exactly match the name on my passport. To compound this problem, the local BMV will not test/issue me a driver's license since the name on my social security card does not match the name on my green card.

Any suggestions about how I may solve this problem would be very, very much appreciated.

What name is on the marriage license (assuming you did get married in order to now have a GC after being issued a K-1 Visa)? According to the SSA website, http://www.ssa.gov/ss5doc/, and see about the corrected card. To Quote them: "We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) permanent resident card as proof of both lawful work-authorized immigration status and identity. " So I do not understand why you cannot change you name to what is shown on the GC. Oh wait, this is the SSA where we have to train them how to do their job.

If the name on themarriage license is the same as the GC, take that in as secondary evidence that your name has been changed and keep pushing until you get the name changed even if you have to go all the way to the top.

For the DMV: why are you showing them the card? Use the GC as ID and when asked for the SSN just rattle it off. I have only shown my SSC maybe two times in 45 years. After all the SSA tells you to NOT carry it with you, but keep it in a safe place. The only other option I can see for you is to change the name in your passport so it matches your GC and then try to change the name on your SSC.

Good luck. It is stories like this that shows how inept the SSA that makes me dread that part of this whole process.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Filed: Timeline

Get a passport that matches the name on the green card.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document.

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

If the required documents show clearly different names, do not accept the evidence to process the SSN application. In these situations, the applicant must submit SSN evidence showing the same name or submit evidence of a name change after the immigration document was issued.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

Could this apply in my case? Since the name on my green card is the same as the name in my passport, except that I've dropped the ethnic name.

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I went to the SS office this morning to change my last name on my SS card (so I can go and get my FL driving license); to find out USCIS hasn't updated my Permanent resident status and I am still in the system under some other immigration status. They gave me a note that says: Before we can issue you a SSN card, we must verify the documents you gave us to show your Citizenship Alien with the Federal, State, or Local office....

Should I call USCIS or set an infopass at the local office? I don't want to wait 4 weeks just to get a denial notice.

K1 JOURNEY
Sent I 129 F: Mid January 2010, they received it January 20th
Interview: June 21st...K1 VISA APPROVED
POE in MCO: July 22nd 2010

AOS JOURNEY
Sent AOS, EAD, AP: November 8th 2010
Delivered: November 10th
Check cashed, NOA1s received in text and email: November 16th
Touch: November 19th
Biometrics in Orlando: December 16th
Contacted congressman's office with inquiry to expedite AP: January 12th 2011
EAD approved: January 13th
EAD received: not sure, I was overseas, but I know it arrived between January 24th and 28th
AP approved - no update on USCIS; I was notified of approval by Congressman: January 13th
AP received: January 21st
Started job hunting: February 11th
Interview: March 7th @ 2.35 pm - GC APPROVED!
Received GC in mail: March 14th
ROC: December 8th 2012

ROC JOURNEY
Sent I - 751 packet: February 4th 2013
Packet delivered: Feb 6th
Check cashed: Feb 11th
NOA1 (dated 2/7/13) received: Feb 12th
Biometric appointment: March 14th

RFE dated July 15th received

RFE reply sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center: Oct 9th

GC approved, letter dated Oct 30th

h5m17p.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.