Amby

yemen mail bomb could have detonated over eastern US

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Tests on a failed parcel bomb sent on a US-bound cargo flight last month show it could have been designed to detonate over the eastern US, say UK police.

The bomb was found in a printer cartridge on a plane in a UK airport, after being posted from Yemen.

A second printer bomb, also sent from Yemen, was intercepted in Dubai.

The bombs were both addressed to synagogues in the US city of Chicago, and were claimed by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

The UK bomb, intercepted at East Midlands airport, was discovered early on 29 October, following a tip-off from Saudi intelligence.

It was removed and "disrupted" by explosives officers about three hours before it was timed to detonate, British police said in a statement.

"If the device had activated it would have been at 1030hrs BST (0930 GMT) on Friday 29 October 2010," they said.

"If the device had not been removed from the aircraft the activation could have occurred over the eastern seaboard of the US."

Last week, French Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said one of the two bombs had been 17 minutes from detonating when it was discovered - he did not specify to which device he was referring.

AQAP claim Both the intercepted parcels contained the powerful plastic explosive PETN, which is difficult to detect.

They had been posted in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, and sent through the freight firms UPS and FedEx.

The UK bomb travelled via Dubai and is then thought to have passed through Cologne in Germany, before arriving at East Midlands airport, while the device found in Dubai is thought to have travelled by passenger jet via Doha.

UK officials says the crucial tip-off came from a former member of al-Qaeda Jabr al-Faifi, who had recently handed himself into the authorities.

AQAP - regional offshoot of Osama Bin Laden's militant network - claimed on Islamist websites last week that it had carried out the attempted attacks - the organisation vowed to continue attacking the US and its allies.

Security forces in Yemen are hunting for AQAP's suspected bomb maker, Ibrahim al-Asiri, in connection with the plot.

BBC Security Correspondent Frank Gardner says the news that the explosives were probably targeting the US is significant and underpins what had long been suspected.

The assumption is that AQAP would not have been able to predict the route the two bombs would take, but that their intention was to show they were capable of sending such explosives on a long distance journey, ending with an attack on the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11729720

eta: Just as I was posting this I saw the story on the news...they said it was set to explode 7hrs after the flight to the US took off.

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

FF.

No more luggage now. You must be in your seat and handcuffed and naked to fly on a plane!

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Damn atheists are so evil with their terror plots

No one akbar!!!!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

They probably gonna take a apart your laptop before you get on the plan to see if it has any kind of plastic explosives :unsure:

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

They probably gonna take a apart your laptop before you get on the plan to see if it has any kind of plastic explosives :unsure:

THey might as well...

Apparently here in recent weeks it's been ok to grab breasts and slightly insert fingers on the tip of the womans #######....

Anyone was to touch me or my family, they'd get knocked the hell out. I'll tell you that much.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The bomb was found in a printer cartridge on a plane in a UK airport, after being posted from Yemen.

A second printer bomb, also sent from Yemen, was intercepted in Dubai.

The bombs were both addressed to synagogues in the US city of Chicago, and were claimed by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

They had been posted in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, and sent through the freight firms UPS and FedEx.

The UK bomb travelled via Dubai and is then thought to have passed through Cologne in Germany, before arriving at East Midlands airport, while the device found in Dubai is thought to have travelled by passenger jet via Doha.

It's another false flag operation from printer companies trying to profit from terrorism by jacking up the prices of printer cartridges. Ask Godspeed about it and he'll fill you in so you can be one the elites not fooled by the shadowy forces at work.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's another false flag operation from printer companies trying to profit from terrorism by jacking up the prices of printer cartridges. Ask Godspeed about it and he'll fill you in so you can be one the elites not fooled by the shadowy forces at work.

It's fun to joke around. I like to do that too.

However, it's also sobering to be reminded that these guys are dead-serious about doing harm. To Americans and Westerners abroad, and in attacks on US soil. If they could repeat a 9/11 attack - they surely would. The fact that they're resorting to shoe bombers, underwear bombers, laser-printer bombs, etc. means they're out there and have not given up. It's vital to be vigilant at all times. Kudos to US Homeland Security, TSA, FBI, NSA, CIA. Kudos to foreign intelligence services that continue to cooperate and share information and best practices to keep the free world safe from terrorists. It's asymmetric warfare: we need to beat them every single time to succeed. They only need to get through our defenses once to succeed. Whenever I hear people complaining about long security lines at the airport I think of this.

It's fun to joke around. I like to do that too.

However, it's also sobering to be reminded that these guys are dead-serious about doing harm. To Americans and Westerners abroad, and in attacks on US soil. If they could repeat a 9/11 attack - they surely would. The fact that they're resorting to shoe bombers, underwear bombers, laser-printer bombs, etc. means they're out there and have not given up. It's vital to be vigilant at all times. Kudos to US Homeland Security, TSA, FBI, NSA, CIA. Kudos to foreign intelligence services that continue to cooperate and share information and best practices to keep the free world safe from terrorists. It's asymmetric warfare: we need to beat them every single time to succeed. They only need to get through our defenses once to succeed. Whenever I hear people complaining about long security lines at the airport I think of this.

Unfortunately terrorism is real and the threat is always there. I'm glad that the security forces were on the ball and discovered this before a disaster occured. People do get impatient waiting in lines to travel, but the added scrutiny has become necessary to insure some level of security to our travel. The terrorists aren't going to stop trying. And we all know it's impossible to watch everywhere and guarantee 100% safety. The vast majority of air security personnel do their jobs well. As with any profession, there are always a few bad apples.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I could have sworn someone scandalous was bitching about wiretapping the other day.

Had the US not been tipped off, this person would have very likely succeeded. It's only a matter of time before these guys get though and don't screw up. Just the other day it was released that nuclear material has found its way into the black market. How long do you think before these guys realize that they can literally walk it over the unmanned Mexican - US border?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I could have sworn someone scandalous was bitching about wiretapping the other day.

Had the US not been tipped off, this person would have very likely succeeded. It's only a matter of time before these guys get though and don't screw up. Just the other day it was released that nuclear material has found its way into the black market. How long do you think before these guys realize that they can literally walk it over the unmanned Mexican - US border?

That's right but these people have limited resources too, they're being chased everywhere it would be definitely impossible for them to develop nuclear weapons even if they got the materials but if you were talking nuclear warheads already made and stuff yeah that would be bad :yes:

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's right but these people have limited resources too, they're being chased everywhere it would be definitely impossible for them to develop nuclear weapons even if they got the materials but if you were talking nuclear warheads already made and stuff yeah that would be bad :yes:

"Even terrorists with limited skills and resources could make biological weapons without much difficulty, says Tony Carrano, Lawrence Livermore's associate director for Biology and Biotechnology Research. "It's not complex, it's not expensive, and you don't need a large facility." For these reasons, biological weapons have been dubbed the poor man's atomic bomb."

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've never very been personally worried about terrorism in this country because the terrorists have thing for airports and a couple of cities but because I don't frequent those places, I'm more likely to struck by lightning living in the boonies. The amount of money we spend to defend ourselves against terrorism seems out of line with a real threat a la WWII axis powers, the Soviets or the Chinese. Modern terrorist spend $20 at a Radio Shack in Aden to build mail bombs and we spend billions trying to defeat these losers.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011