Bad_Daddy

Iranian woman to be hanged Wednesday: rights group

81 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101103/wl_nm/us_iran_stoning_hanging;_ylt=AqLGM24a07vfU1WHciMw.jpvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJvZnZtaTE4BGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAxMTAzL3VzX2lyYW5fc3RvbmluZ19oYW5naW5nBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNpcmFuaWFud29tYW4-

BERLIN (Reuters) – An Iranian woman whose sentence of execution by stoning for adultery provoked a worldwide outcry will instead be hanged for murder on Wednesday, a human rights group said.

"The authorities in Tehran have given the go-ahead to Tabriz prison for the execution of Iran stoning case Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani," the International Committee against Stoning, a German-based campaign group, said on its website.

"It has been reported that she is to be executed this Wednesday, 3 November."

Officials in Iran were not available to confirm or deny the report.

British Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt spoke to Iran's charge d'affaires in London, Safar Ali Eslamian Koupaei, by phone on Tuesday to press for an update on Ashtiani's case.

But the Iranian diplomat was unable to confirm whether reports about her imminent execution were accurate, the Foreign Office said.

"I ... took the opportunity to remind him that the UK government would regard the execution of Ms Ashtiani as utterly unacceptable," Burt said in a statement.

The White House said the case showed a fundamental disregard for human rights. "We condemn in the strongest terms the government of Iran's apparent plans to move forward in executing Ms. Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani," it said Tuesday.

Ashtiani's stoning sentence was suspended after prominent political and religious figures called it medieval, barbaric and brutal. Brazil, a close ally of Iran, offered to give the 43-year-old mother of two asylum.

A government spokesman said in September Ashtiani's adultery conviction was under review but the charge of being complicit in the murder of her husband was still pending.

Under the Islamic law in force in Iran since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, murder is punishable by hanging, adultery by stoning.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad fended off questions about the case from reporters when he attended the U.N. General Assembly in September, saying it had been fabricated by hostile Western media and called the United States hypocritical for its record on executions.

The case has worsened relations between Iran and the West, which are locked in a dispute over Tehran's nuclear program, and was further complicated last month when two Germans were arrested in Iran while conducting an interview with Ashtiani's son.

The men entered Iran with tourist visas and were not authorized to act as journalists, judicial officials said. The German government is trying to secure their release.

In August, Iranian television aired an interview with a woman it said was Ashtiani admitting a relationship with a man who then murdered her husband. The International Committee Against Stoning, called the TV show "toxic propaganda."

The United States has imposed sanctions on eight senior Iranian officials, including the commander of the Revolutionary Guards and several cabinet ministers, for human rights abuses.

That is in addition to the sanctions over Iran's nuclear activities, which it fears is aimed at making an atomic bomb, something Tehran denies.

According to Amnesty International, Iran is second only to China in the number of executions it carries out. It put to death at least 346 people in 2008.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

well iran time,it is wednesday,nov 3rd,and there has been no word on her execution.actually i was watching the news last night and they didnt mention anything last night either

well iran time,it is wednesday,nov 3rd,and there has been no word on her execution.actually i was watching the news last night and they didnt mention anything last night either

This yahoo story was kind of based on "hearsay". I mean like who's ever heard of the "International Committee Against Getting Stoned" ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

This yahoo story was kind of based on "hearsay". I mean like who's ever heard of the "International Committee Against Getting Stoned" ?

well they are pretty big ON iran ( i wish i could say IN ,lets not forget stoning is not something iran has made up,nearly every third world country with muslim population practices it,just not legally)and they have captured two journalists who were exclusively covering her case,her son and her lawyer.to be honest,i personally would prefer hanging to staying 6 to 8 more years in prison without knowing what could possibly happen to me

Edited by ygr

Timeline

The United states has no reason to butt into this matter. We ALSO execute many murderers here and make no mistake about it this is not just because she committed adultery but she arranged her husbands murder.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

well they are pretty big ON iran ( i wish i could say IN ,lets not forget stoning is not something iran has made up,nearly every third world country with muslim population practices it,just not legally)and they have captured two journalists who were exclusively covering her case,her son and her lawyer.to be honest,i personally would prefer hanging to staying 6 to 8 more years in prison without knowing what could possibly happen to me

Stoning comes from Jewish law (Bible, John 8:7), is not prescribed as a punishment in the Quran. It is not practiced in every Muslim country. Iran is predominantly Shi'a, not Sunni, and has many variances in its version of Islamic law (i.e. fiqh, man-made law, not the same as Sharia, the divine law).

Stoning “has nothing to do with Islam”

by SHEIKYERMAMI on JUNE 25, 2009

* If we allow these bullsh*t denials to continue, it won’t be long before we are told that even Islam “has nothing to do with Islam”…

Stoning has everything to do with Islam and Islamic law. The caliph Umar, one of Muhammad’s closest companions, even maintained that it was originally in the Qur’an:

‘Umar said, “I am afraid that after a long time has passed, people may say, “We do not find the Verses of the Rajam (stoning to death) in the Holy Book,” and consequently they may go astray by leaving an obligation that Allah has revealed. Lo! I confirm that the penalty of Rajam be inflicted on him who commits illegal sexual intercourse, if he is already married and the crime is proved by witnesses or pregnancy or confession.” Sufyan added, “I have memorized this narration in this way.” ‘Umar added, “Surely Allah’s Apostle carried out the penalty of Rajam, and so did we after him.” (Bukhari, vol. 8, bk. 82, no. 816)

“Allah’s Apostle” is, of course, Muhammad, who did indeed carry out stonings. Here is the hadith in which he challenges the rabbis about stoning, and in which there is amidst the barbarism and brutality a final act of love and compassion:

The Jews came to Allah’s Apostle and told him that a man and a woman from amongst them had committed illegal sexual intercourse. Allah’s Apostle said to them, “What do you find in the Torah (old Testament) about the legal punishment of Ar-Rajm (stoning)?” They replied, (But) we announce their crime and lash them.” Abdullah bin Salam said, “You are telling a lie; Torah contains the order of Rajm.” They brought and opened the Torah and one of them solaced his hand on the Verse of Rajm and read the verses preceding and following it. Abdullah bin Salam said to him, “Lift your hand.” When he lifted his hand, the Verse of Rajm was written there. They said, “Muhammad has told the truth; the Torah has the Verse of Rajm. The Prophet then gave the order that both of them should be stoned to death. (‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar said, “I saw the man leaning over the woman to shelter her from the stones.” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 56, no. 829)

Even the monkeys practiced stoning, according to another hadith:

During the pre-lslamic period of ignorance I saw a she-monkey surrounded by a number of monkeys. They were all stoning it, because it had committed illegal sexual intercourse. I too, stoned it along with them. (Bukhari, vol. 5, bk. 58, no. 188)

Muhammad’s example is, of course, normative for Islamic behavior, since “verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much” (Qur’an 33:21).

And so Islamic law does indeed mandate stoning for adultery. ‘Umdat al-Salik, a manual of Islamic law endorsed by Al-Azhar University in Cairo, the most influential institution in the world of Sunni Islam, says this about the penalty for adultery:

If the offender is someone with the capacity to remain chaste, then he or she is stoned to death…, someone with the capacity to remain chaste meaning anyone who has had sexual intercourse (A: at least once) with their spouse in a valid marriage, and is free, of age, and sane….If the penalty is stoning, the offender is stoned even in severe heat or cold, and even if he has an illness from which he is expected to recover. A pregnant woman is not stoned until she gives birth and the child can suffice with the milk of another. (‘Umdat al-Salik o12.2, o12.6)

http://sheikyermami.com/2009/06/25/stoning-has-nothing-to-do-with-islam/

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Stoning comes from Jewish law (Bible, John 8:7), is not prescribed as a punishment in the Quran. It is not practiced in every Muslim country. Iran is predominantly Shi'a, not Sunni, and has many variances in its version of Islamic law (i.e. fiqh, man-made law, not the same as Sharia, the divine law).

John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Doesn't look to me like the bible condones stoning.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Finding and posting misleading and inaccurate information bashing Islam is easy. It must also be mindless and fun coz it's done so often.

Stoning “has nothing to do with Islam”

by SHEIKYERMAMI on JUNE 25, 2009

* If we allow these bullsh*t denials to continue, it won’t be long before we are told that even Islam “has nothing to do with Islam”…

Stoning has everything to do with Islam and Islamic law. The caliph Umar, one of Muhammad’s closest companions, even maintained that it was originally in the Qur’an:

‘Umar said, “I am afraid that after a long time has passed, people may say, “We do not find the Verses of the Rajam (stoning to death) in the Holy Book,” and consequently they may go astray by leaving an obligation that Allah has revealed. Lo! I confirm that the penalty of Rajam be inflicted on him who commits illegal sexual intercourse, if he is already married and the crime is proved by witnesses or pregnancy or confession.” Sufyan added, “I have memorized this narration in this way.” ‘Umar added, “Surely Allah’s Apostle carried out the penalty of Rajam, and so did we after him.” (Bukhari, vol. 8, bk. 82, no. 816)

“Allah’s Apostle” is, of course, Muhammad, who did indeed carry out stonings. Here is the hadith in which he challenges the rabbis about stoning, and in which there is amidst the barbarism and brutality a final act of love and compassion:

The Jews came to Allah’s Apostle and told him that a man and a woman from amongst them had committed illegal sexual intercourse. Allah’s Apostle said to them, “What do you find in the Torah (old Testament) about the legal punishment of Ar-Rajm (stoning)?” They replied, (But) we announce their crime and lash them.” Abdullah bin Salam said, “You are telling a lie; Torah contains the order of Rajm.” They brought and opened the Torah and one of them solaced his hand on the Verse of Rajm and read the verses preceding and following it. Abdullah bin Salam said to him, “Lift your hand.” When he lifted his hand, the Verse of Rajm was written there. They said, “Muhammad has told the truth; the Torah has the Verse of Rajm. The Prophet then gave the order that both of them should be stoned to death. (‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar said, “I saw the man leaning over the woman to shelter her from the stones.” (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 56, no. 829)

Even the monkeys practiced stoning, according to another hadith:

During the pre-lslamic period of ignorance I saw a she-monkey surrounded by a number of monkeys. They were all stoning it, because it had committed illegal sexual intercourse. I too, stoned it along with them. (Bukhari, vol. 5, bk. 58, no. 188)

Muhammad’s example is, of course, normative for Islamic behavior, since “verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much” (Qur’an 33:21).

And so Islamic law does indeed mandate stoning for adultery. ‘Umdat al-Salik, a manual of Islamic law endorsed by Al-Azhar University in Cairo, the most influential institution in the world of Sunni Islam, says this about the penalty for adultery:

If the offender is someone with the capacity to remain chaste, then he or she is stoned to death…, someone with the capacity to remain chaste meaning anyone who has had sexual intercourse (A: at least once) with their spouse in a valid marriage, and is free, of age, and sane….If the penalty is stoning, the offender is stoned even in severe heat or cold, and even if he has an illness from which he is expected to recover. A pregnant woman is not stoned until she gives birth and the child can suffice with the milk of another. (‘Umdat al-Salik o12.2, o12.6)

http://sheikyermami.com/2009/06/25/stoning-has-nothing-to-do-with-islam/

Old testament.

Replaced by New Testament. And irrelevant in modern times even in Jewish faith which is Old Testament based but doesn't cling to ancient barbaric practices such as stoning.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Finding and posting misleading and inaccurate information bashing Islam is easy. It must also be mindless and fun coz it's done so often.

Islam as it is sometimes practiced is self bashing. You find it practical and easy to dismiss everyone and everything which reflects poorly on Islam as inaccurate or misleading in the face of verifiable current events, or simply dismiss fellow believers as not being true Muslims. It would be far more compelling were it not for current events.

Indeed we must believe Islam has nothing to do with Islam...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Filed: Timeline

I know Holland doesn't participate.

*wokka wokka*

On a serious note, if she was complicit in the murder of her husband, then who are we to say?

+1 to why me, and ready4one

Timeline

John 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Doesn't look to me like the bible condones stoning.

The OT reflects the use of stoning in Jewish law as punishment for a variety of offenses referenced in several verses. It was commonly employed in many areas of the world because it is cheap, easy and anyone can participate. Stoning is not condoned by either the Bible or the Quran; the Quran does not prescribe it for any offense.