Hilarious Clinton

Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

61 posts in this topic

A teleprompter will be in use for the first time in the Central Hall of Parliament when US President Barack Obama addresses MPs on November eight.

As per the tentative programme being worked out, the address by Obama, who once said that "America has its roots in the India of Mahatma Gandhi", would not be for more than 20 minutes.

The president's programme in Parliament House complex itself will be less than an hour affair, Parliament sources said today. It is scheduled to start at 5pm.

The programme will feature a welcome speech by vice president Hamid Ansari and a vote of thanks by Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar. The US president would also sign the Golden Book, the visitors’ diary of Parliament.

While US first lady Michelle Obama would be accompanying her husband, there was no confirmation whether secretary of state Hillary Clinton would be part of Obama's entourage, Parliament sources said.

Besides the visiting dignitary, those who would be on the dais in the historic Central Hall along with Obama, the vice president and the speaker would be prime minister Manmohan Singh. Michelle will be given a special seat in the front row.

Obama will take the help of a teleprompter to deliver his address to the 780-odd members of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, sources said.

Parliament authorities said this will be the first time that such a facility will be arranged in the Central Hall.

Obama’s reliance on the teleprompter is unusual--not only because he is famous for his oratory, but because no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small.

Teleprompters are textbook-sized panes of glass holding the prepared remarks of the speaker and which rests on top of a tall, narrow pole and flank his podium during speeches.

The authorities are also leaving no stone unturned to give a red carpet welcome to Obama.

Parliament House is being given a make over for the upcoming visit of the US president. Right from the circular facade of the eight-decade-old structure to paintings in the corridors and magnificent Central Hall, Parliament is being refurbished.

Hectic preparations are on in Parliament and the Central Hall has been shut for a fortnight for renovation, which includes polishing, painting and carpeting.

On security concerns during the ceremony, the Lok Sabha security wing is holding review meetings with the external affairs ministry and other agencies.

It was in the historic Central Hall that the British handed over power to India in 1947. It was also the platform for addresses by several leaders, including former US president Bill Clinton who visited India in 2000.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_teleprompter-to-make-a-debut-in-parliament-when-obama-speaks_1456549

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline

As per the tentative programme being worked out, the address by Obama, who once said that "America has its roots in the India of Mahatma Gandhi", would not be for more than 20 minutes.

Not much of an historian, is he?

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The actual quote.

"The America of today has its roots in the India of Mahatma Gandhi and the nonviolent social action movement for Indian independence which he led," Obama said in a statement.

On behalf of the American people, Obama said he wants to express appreciation for the life and lessons of Mahatma Gandhi on the anniversary of his birth. "This is an important moment to reflect on his message of non-violence, which continues to inspire people and political movements across the globe," he said.

"We join the people of India in celebrating this great soul who lived a life dedicated to the cause of advancing justice, showing tolerance to all, and creating change through non-violent resistance," Obama said.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

He is going to go around the world with his teleprompter for the next two years and then get fired in the 2012 election. I am already looking fo4rward to the future. What he does after next Tuesday isn't going to matter much.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

The actual quote.

Even that could have been worded better. I wonder how much, if at all, Martin Luther King,jr. was inspired by Ghandi. So far, much of Obama'a base has been anything but passive and nonviolent. MLK was anything but passive, but he did preach nonviolence.

ETA: According to this article, King was in fact quite impressed with Ghandi:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-01-20/opinion/17474454_1_nonviolence-philosophy-king

Edited by ##########

Timeline

Famous for his oratory? Being able to repeat what is written and in front of oneself is not great oratory. Surprise the moron doesn't stammer and seem like the idiot he is when trying to speak with a teleprompter........wait he does.rofl.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So far, much of Obama'a base has been anything but passive and nonviolent.

Cite instances of violence. Actual instances of bricks through windows, or lynchings, or jackbooted 2AM arrests, or kristallnacht book burnings, that sort of thing. Yeah, thought as much.

I'll take a man who can speak in full sentences with multisyllabic words and grammatical phrasing over Bushisms any old day. Particularly when the speaker has an appreciation of the breadth and complexity of history, geopolitics, economic theory and the issues of our day and addresses these and the like in his words.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Famous for his oratory? Being able to repeat what is written and in front of oneself is not great oratory. Surprise the moron doesn't stammer and seem like the idiot he is when trying to speak with a teleprompter........wait he does.rofl.gif
Rarely have I agreed with a VJ quote as much as I agree with this one, si man. (We are the Chorus, and we agree. We agree, we agree, we agree.) Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Cite instances of violence. Actual instances of bricks through windows, or lynchings, or jackbooted 2AM arrests, or kristallnacht book burnings, that sort of thing. Yeah, thought as much.

I'll take a man who can speak in full sentences with multisyllabic words and grammatical phrasing over Bushisms any old day. Particularly when the speaker has an appreciation of the breadth and complexity of history, geopolitics, economic theory and the issues of our day and addresses these and the like in his words.

Lipstick on a pig! :rolleyes:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

bt5.gif

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Rarely have I agreed with a VJ quote as much as I agree with this one, si man. (We are the Chorus, and we agree. We agree, we agree, we agree.)

If the media repeats 50,000 times that Obama is an eloquent speaker then it is so...

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Obama..... what an embarrassment.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You're right. Next week they will lose! :dance:

He saved or created millions of jobs and also saved our economy...under Obama the public sector is booming!

Next week he will lose. :dance:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla