Arazia

Feeling overwhelmed

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

So, currently my fiancee' and I are working on the K-1 visa process, and I've started looking at all the steps of that and the things to come afterwards. AOS, Removal of Conditions, Naturalization, etc. It just seems terribly daunting and I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. It seems like there are so many things you could forget, and so many things you need to do to proove yourself to the government.

I guess I'm worried that something will go wrong and he'll end up sent back to his country, or that I won't have enough information to proove ourselves time and time again (at least three times from what I'm reading).

So, I guess I'm wondering how the rest of you out there deal with the pressure and stress of the situation? How do you keep positive? Any advice for a first-timer in all of this who is feeling very small compared to the stack of paperwork to come?

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Timeline
It just seems terribly daunting and I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed.

It is not terribly daunting. It is a series of steps, write them down and tick each off as you go. You won't forget and there is no need to feel overwhelmed.

Good luck.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

My advice? Don't focus on the big picture, but on each task.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...or however the saying goes. All you have to do is concentrate on each step to the best of your ability, and the rest will come in its own time.

If you feel completely overwhelmed still, perhaps you should retain an immigration atty.

As others have said take it one step at a time and try not to think to far ahead.... it can be very hectic in the begining but as you move along the journey you will learn so much and begin to feel comfortable with it....

Take a big breath as you face every new step and remember VJ is here to help... you are not alone...

Kezzie

... VJ is here to help...
... with all the help VJ has to offer...

Arazia,

I would concur with the above comments but at the same time warn you against over-reliance on VJ as a resource.

There is no substitute for doing your own research. There is no resource on the web that is more reliable than USCIS.GOV.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I also am finding if I look at everything it is like #######??? But if I think ok now we do this, and then this....it seems much more doable.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Arazia,

I would concur with the above comments but at the same time warn you against over-reliance on VJ as a resource.

There is no substitute for doing your own research. There is no resource on the web that is more reliable than USCIS.GOV.

edit: no resource on the web like aussiewench and yodrak :thumbs:

:P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Arazia,

edit: no resource on the web like aussiewench and yodrak :thumbs:

Yes, Yodrak's posts were particularly helpful to me when I was in the middle of my K-1 journey. Andy, too.

That said, they are all secondary resources. USCIS.GOV is the primary resource and too many people ignore that.

Filed: Other Timeline

I agree with Gupt.

I would add that as you are making the list he suggested, you take a look at the financial outlay for each step and plan accordingly. That way you won't be blindsided by upcoming fees.

Beyond that I don't worry myself much with the next step. I have a file wherein I toss 'proof' (mail, important joint docs) and I am aware of when the next step will be necessary.

IF we can just get through THIS CURRENT STEP....grrrrrr

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I think it's important that you see the big picture, and that you know what lays ahead of you. It makes my stomach churn each time I read a post here that says: "Ok, my fiancee arrived here on a K1, now what??".

I mean, you HAVE got to know what process you're going thru. But as others have posted before. All processes are a group of tasks, list your tasks, focus on each step, but always beware, be prepared, for the next step of your list.

It is not so difficult as it seems. Overwhelming? at times (I'd say most of the time). Impossible? Nope. VJ is a fountain of knowledge, but follow the guides and instructions USCIS gives you.

Good luck, and I hope you have a smooth journey!

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think one of the reasons it looks so daunting is that there are long lists of all the evidence you must supply. However, if you really break it down its not that bad and the actual application forms are fairly short. At least in my experience, all the evidence was easily found. It all fell into a few categories: stuff around my house, stuff around his house he had to mail to me and stuff one of us had to go to our respective town halls to acquire. Just make sure to get and maintain multiple copies of everything. Once you get to AOS you'll find that you are just pulling things out of the file you already have for some of the paperwork anyways.

I don't mean to make it sound as if I thought the process has been easy up to now, because it hasn't been! But part of that has been me worrying over everything I worked hard to organize and reorganize and at least quadruple check everything and then until we got approval notice at each step, I was sooo scared that we had missed something. The attention to detail must have paid off because everything has gone very smoothly for us so far and I've spent a lot of time worrying for no reason.

My advice would be to go through each step very careully and thoroughly, and while you are waiting for approval, read up on the next step and get yourself ready to go through it. Also, I agree that doing the research on your own is very important, but one of the things on this site that I would say is invaluable is the persoanl experience. Make sure to read things like the list of common RFEs for K1s. Seeing what got other people in trouble will help you to avoid their pitfalls.

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thank you all for the kind words. I think the most scarey part is some of the mentions about forms and such that you need later on in the process. For instance, the copy of the medical exam information needed for the AOS immunization form. I think I looked too far ahead in the process, and realized some of the huge mountain of information some people have for their AOS and later removal of conditions are things we won't have (ie. shared utilities and such) because we'll be renting a place from my parents. I guess the best thing to do is take things one step at a time, and be careful to track as much as we can.

Thanks for the support.

- Barbara and Harry

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi there :) ok in short, it isnt really that bad... the evidence they request is just basic evidence. anyone in a serious relationship would have no trouble providing the evidence they ask for. the hardest part is the waiting. it takes time. i agree with gupt when he said this is a secondary source. you can go to uscis.gov to get your info. people at VJ are very helpful and are a good support system when dealing with the separation and with general questions. hang in there and dont procrastinate .. just follow the instructions and get your info together. good luck! :thumbs:

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif