sanuginz

Can my wife go to Mexico with Green Card?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She is a citizen of a country other than the US - she may need a visa depending on where you go and the visa requirements for citizens of Belarus

Good luck

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I like your original answer..!! :dance:

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

noooooooooooooooo.... An alien with a GC does NOT have the same entry privileges as a USC... The only entry priveleges that a GC holder gains is Canada, Mexico and SOME Caribbean nations. Otherwise all entry priveleges are based on there country of passport.

True.

Visas ARE required for Ukrainian citizens to vist Canada, for example...BUT a Ukrainian citizen that is ALSO a US LPR needs no visa. For land crossings Alla never uses her passport...just her green card and NEVER has a problem. We live within a few minutes of the border and she travels there frequently. We just crossed the border Friday night, drove through Quebec and Ontario and re-entered at Souix Ste Marie, MI....green cards only. Our son plays sports with his school's sport's team against schools in Quebec. He uses only his green card. They have never used their passports for LAND CROSSINGS. I understand that passports are needed for air travel...but NO VISA.

Mexico and MOST (but not all) Carribean nations are the same by international agreement.

I suggest taking her passport along just in case, or definitely if she will travel by air

NO VISA NEEDED

Gary And Alla

Timeline

This is why I love visitors.

Where was the invitation for all the people that have no clue to answer? Good grief. And Ricardo...you were right the first time. When you are right don't back down just because someone yells louder or is grossed out by the truth. The guy who is correct is the guy that knows the answer, not the guy that is wrong and yells the loudest. There is an abundance of people that can't handle the truth...let it be THEIR (and their family's) problem.

Best to get answers from experienced people but sorry, I was traveling IN CANADA with my UKRAINIAN wife and son with JUST their green cards. I wonder now if I should worry about our return trip....nah.

Can we PLEASE have a vomit icon? And WHY are all these "visitors" in here giving bad advice to RUB forum members? Do you not want to do harm to your own forums? Welcome to the RUB forum...now go home.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Sorry to be pedantic but if she "didn't need no visa" then she had to have needed a visa. Your statement is a double-negative. Had you said "she didn't need a visa" then that's obvious. Sometimes incorrect English confuses people especially as several members aren't very good with English.

Did NOT (didnt) meaning it passed not pertaining to the current requirement. JUST like saying when I travelled to Florida I was not required to pay toll doesnt mean it's the same policy... i was speaking direct to the issue THEN. I know english no need for the uk version.. I had that syllabus..it's standard where i grew up and got the bacis.

The end result is.. a visa is "NOT" needed/required - same-thing

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Thanks for all the posts. OK, so let me see here... there is conflicting answers here and both seem to have some validity. One way or the other can be argued by the Mexican border patrol at point and time of entry. I remember entering Mexico in Arizona over 10 years ago and they were not very friendly to Americans back then, so I don't want to take my chances. In contrast I've found Canada, U.K., and Germany border guards very accommodating to Americans. JFK immigration held my wife for 3 hours in the interrogation chamber for no reason but, just to verify a document. I don't want a similar nightmare again.

Once inside Mexico the people are very nice - I stayed in a small town as well as a tourist spot on the West Coast, Rocky Point, Mexico. I think I will wait on this one for another 8 months until she gets citizenship.

Timeline

She doesn't need a green card. She can just walk across the border like how the illegals do to come into the country (as long as she doesn't bump into too many of them while trying to head south against the current).

In all seriousness though, if you are just looking for a good trip to someplace warm, you can take a cruise. All you need is a green card when you board for the first time and they give you a cruise card after that that let's you go to Mexico and whatever other countries the ship stops at without the usual border hassals. We just got back from the Oasis of the Seas (largest vehicle in the world...like 6000+ passengers!) and it was awesome. Hard to beat the value for the price and you don't have any hassals other than trying to fit into your pants.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

To the op - the conflicts came from others who said a green card is not enough for travel to mexico....

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

To the op - the conflicts came from others who said a green card is not enough for travel to mexico....

from what i had read, it seemed that way. now pass over that plate of crow, i've got a full bottle of tabasco. :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Thanks for all the posts. OK, so let me see here... there is conflicting answers here and both seem to have some validity. One way or the other can be argued by the Mexican border patrol at point and time of entry. I remember entering Mexico in Arizona over 10 years ago and they were not very friendly to Americans back then, so I don't want to take my chances. In contrast I've found Canada, U.K., and Germany border guards very accommodating to Americans. JFK immigration held my wife for 3 hours in the interrogation chamber for no reason but, just to verify a document. I don't want a similar nightmare again.

Once inside Mexico the people are very nice - I stayed in a small town as well as a tourist spot on the West Coast, Rocky Point, Mexico. I think I will wait on this one for another 8 months until she gets citizenship.

There are no conflicting answers. There are CORRECT answers...she DOES NOT need a visa. And there are WRONG answers...anything else. Go to Mexico, have fun!

Gary And Alla

i've got a full bottle of tabasco.

A little MRE bottle of tobasco, right?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A little MRE bottle of tobasco, right?

:no: the industrial size one

Tabasco_Personalized_Gallon_Jug.jpg?1230707685

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Now that's a bottle of Tobasco!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.