Mrs S91

F1 VISA

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I applied to study in the US back in Dec 09 and was accepted for the Fall 2010 semester. I sent the relevant paper work to the school in regards to finance. I was sent out the I-20 form and booked my appoinment with the embassy in the London (home country). I was denied back in July on the basis that i did not have ties in the UK, after enquire with the embassy what i could show as ties i booked another appoinment on was denied again on the same reason that i have no ties in the UK. However, the school has deferred my start date to the spring semester 2011 and i am providing relevant docs again for them to issue an up to date I-20.

My question is has anyone gone through this and had a approval on the third application and what did they do different.

I have listed below what i provided when i applied.

v College Acceptance letter

v I-20 – Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Visa

v SEVIS form

v Visa application form

v Passport photo

v Council Tenancy Agreement

v Proof of family members in the UK (passports, bills, birth certificates)

v Bank Statements

v Marriage Certificate

v Statement of Service from London Borough of Lambeth

v CV

v Qualifications Certificates

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

None of the documents you mentioned show ties to the UK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

None of the documents you mentioned show ties to the UK.

You need documentation showing why you basically "Have to" return to UK and won't "run" when you get to the US.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You mentioned marriage certificate, are you married to a USC or a UK citizen?

Also, none of the things you mentioned showed ties that you MUST return to the UK. Unless you increase your ties, you'll be denied again. When I applied, I had

A job offer pending graduation

property ownership in Canada

Family ties

Bank accounts

Student Loans

Even then they gave me a hefty time

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

At the time of my F-1 interview, I showed my parent's tax statements, my mom's balance sheet, my personal and my parent's bank account statement. Property deeds. Plus, I am the only child of my parents, so I suppose that helped. I, on my own, didn't have too many ties to India apart from family ties and a bank account.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Hey,

And thanks for your response…..what exactly can I show as having ties to the UK. I am married to a UK citizen, I have a council property in my name though rented, these properties or very hard to get. I currently work for a local authority and they are only willing to leave the job open for 6 months as with the economic climate, most of the jobs or being cut.

If you guys can give me some hint/ideas as to what to provide to show ties to the UK I would be more than grateful. Cos I thought having a husband and relatives was proof enough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I assume your husband will travel with you to the US? If not, try and show how he must remain in the UK for the period of your study

How long do you intend to remain in the US?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Did you submit a letter from your employer saying they were keeping your job open.

Perhaps the letter could also include how the course you are doing is beneficial to your job and would lead to promotion?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I assume your husband will travel with you to the US? If not, try and show how he must remain in the UK for the period of your study

How long do you intend to remain in the US?

My husband will not be travelling to the US with me. What can i use to show that he will be staying...

I will be studying for 2yrs..

Timeline

So you do not have a job to go back to?

They know you are married and they know that he has not applied for a F2 so will not be going.

You just have to think of what reasons compel your return and then substantiate them.

Edited by Boiler

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

My husband will not be travelling to the US with me. What can i use to show that he will be staying...

I will be studying for 2yrs..

if your hubby is employed his employment letter, copies of additional property you own in UK like both your cars. Statement from you husband that he doesn't intent to relocate to US with you now or ever and expects you to return to US on holiday and after your study completion. Letters from relatives attesting to the stable and committed nature of your relationship maybe saying this separation will be hard on both of you but they know you are going to be married forever? Just taking a stab at it. List of names addresses of all your UK relatives which are connections and ties.

Timeline

So you do not have a job to go back to?

They know you are married and they know that he has not applied for a F2 so will not be going.

You just have to think of what reasons compel your return and then substantiate them.

No i will not have a job to come back to. I work for the Local Government and everyone in my section are currently either going through redundancy or deletion. The longest they are willing to leave the job open for me is 3 months as we know we are safe for this financial year.

Timeline

Try another way, you are giving up a lot for this, leaving a secure job at a time when there are 40 applicants for each job available, taking 2 years away from your husband and family and spending an awful lot of money on tuition fees and living expenses.

So it has to be really worth it, something that you consider a life changing experience and will help when you return.

Perhaps this is something you could focus on?

Timeline

Try another way? not sure what you mean... but my job is not that secure as i said we are only secure for this financial year, the government budget was read yeaterday and 500,000 jobs have to be cut fromt he public sector. I will not be staying in the US for the holidays when we break from studying, so i will be seeing my husband. This is something that i really want to do and it will definately change my life. If you guys have any hints on what i can provide or can point me to a post where an sucessful applicant has shared their experience i would be grateful..(i know each case is different)

Timeline
Try another way? not sure what you mean

Focus on the benfits of the course and how will allow you to improve your life etc when you return.

... but my job is not that secure as i said we are only secure for this financial year, the government budget was read yesterday and 500,000 jobs have to be cut from the public sector.

Probably not something to stress.

I will not be staying in the US for the holidays when we break from studying, so i will be seeing my husband. This is something that i really want to do and it will definately change my life. If you guys have any hints on what i can provide or can point me to a post where an sucessful applicant has shared their experience i would be grateful..(i know each case is different)

Years ago my Brother had a L visa, so uneventful that he did not even know what type he had.

Generally for all visa's people who applied with no issues have nothing to tell. It is the ones that do not get a visa or have issues that post.

I can not think of any threads involving the UK where immigrant intent has been an issue, tends to be more India etc related.

Two final suggestions:

Have you spoken to your International Admissions Officer?

Have a chat with an Immigration Lawyer familiar with your circumstances and London Consulate?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.