DEDixon

Going to buy another house soon and looking

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
looking for a house got me thinking about this lately. when i worked in SF i noticed my gay manager had a yellow pages directory on his desk that had businesses which were owned by gay people advertising. i also know the spanish speaking community has a yellow pages though the one i saw wasn't in spanish, but again, it was filled with businesses that were owned by central and south americans. my wife is filipino and i see a lot of the same mentality.

naturally, when thinking about a Realtor, i had to ask myself if i should support my own community.

When "we" do it we're racist, when minorities do it it's considered "support" of their community. I think it's moronic. If someone's good they're good. Just because they're a particular race doesn't make them one way or other. The only good thing about it is if you're dealing with people who don't speak english and they want to know who does.

Filed: Timeline

this makes sense to me. i'm actually looking for someone who isn't talking to me like they are promoting themselves.

Yeah, I hate that chit. I ran into a few of those too. I won't deal with anyone like that.

But what's worse than that are the realtors who try to 'educate' me on what should be important to me. The white lady I referred to earlier - she wanted to know what my budget was, so I told her. And then she had the temerity to tell me with my income it could be higher. Umm yes I know that but that's my budget. She pulls out these pieces of paper from her little baggy to explain how I could actually afford more. I told her I know what the mortgage underwriting guidelines are (roughly) and am simply not interested. This is a personal value thing - I'm cheap. Respect it or leave. She never could but the Viet guy totally got it. In the end, I'm confident color isn't the best determinant.. values are.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only thing wrong with it is that you might be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of expertise. I don't judge on sex, race or whatever, I judge on my feelings of their competence, and their experience etc.

Our realtor sucked... he has awful English skills (yes this matters and he was Anglo), he would email important people that he didn't know on a personal level (like our appraiser and investor) Youtube videos he found funny, he would alter our offer even after being told EXPLICITLY what we wanted, and once the sale was complete, he emailed ME because he forgot to photocopy the earnest cheque and he wouldn't get paid unless he showed that copy. This is just a small intro to his... moronic escapades. He was a lovely guy, but completely useless. The ONLY reason we used him is because the people we were buying the house from signed an exclusivity deal... we will be speaking to his bosses and the company he sold for. He definitely shouldn't be a realtor, he slowed us down a great deal.

oops, you reminded me of another realtor i had. she was white. she wouldn't talk to me on the phone - she emailed every question and comment. i ended up backing out of the deal so i didn't buy a house through her. next realtor, i'm going to demand NO EMAIL unless you are emailing documents. she was referred by a friend. emailing made our relationship feel cold.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

When "we" do it we're racist, when minorities do it it's considered "support" of their community. I think it's moronic.

true and definitely not fair. even got the "white guilt" thing happening too - white people who think it is okay when minorities do it but not when white people do it.

If someone's good they're good. Just because they're a particular race doesn't make them one way or other. The only good thing about it is if you're dealing with people who don't speak english and they want to know who does.

yep, so true.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

i can't see why someone who isn't white and who was born in the US would seek to narrow business to their own ethnicity. i see them doing it (even gay people) so i wondered aloud, should i? lately i've seen blatant in your face "support me, i'm the same as you" type of promotion so i got to thinking.

Maybe there is so little community left in our society that people are desperate to try to find it somewhere, so they go running after any "group" they feel they can belong to. Sometimes this might be acceptable, other times it's foolish. When it comes to people actually promoting their services this way, that isn't so good. Promotion should be based on actual positive skills. But advertising will always take advantage of any opportunity.

Timeline

you surely are running wild with this one. i never implied that a minority had inferior skills. why would you bring something into this thread that isn't part of it? on this one, the SHAME is on YOU!!!! again, i NEVER said or implied anything about inferior skills!!!!

amazing, then you go on with this BS. SHAME ON YOU!!!! just so you know, i don't think minority realtors are any less skilled that white realtors. competent Realtors are among all ethnicity groups. my question was purely a question about support.

You are so full of BS ...Shame on me you best look in the mirro for even starting the topic with out wanting honest answers.

Where to start so that your mind could comprehend what was said.............hmmm...........

I never implied that either anyone was inferior but why else are you trying to only look for a "White Realtor" I stated "if you believe" that which is ####### itis your right then go ahead. (but as we all know you were baiting which I am surprised you weren't suspended.

I also stated this which you Bltantly ignored trying to ramp up some fuel but failed as much as your topics do.

While I might agree to some degree that supporting your own ethnic group is ok it is not ok to do so with the mind set that any other ethnic group is of inferior skill or expertise due to their belonginh to another ethnic group.

Further you again blatnatly pull a statement out of context of which it was written to fuel again some sort of rise from some on your fail again!!

Lets review the whole stement that your reading comprehension could not fathom.

They are supporting their own minority groups not their community and will often opt for someone with less experience or poor practices to support groups why would you do the same.

The above clarified your failure to understand the difference in supporting ethnic or minority groups in the community as opposed to supportingthe community as a whole.

It also makes the statement that they many will ustilize and provide opportunities to the minorities they support even when an equal or better alternative of another group is available.

Hence supporting your ethnic or minority group.

I might agree to some degree that supporting your own ethnic group is ok it is not ok to do so with the mind set that any other ethnic group is of inferior skill or expertise due to their belonginh to another ethnic group.

Again this statment clearly supports people supporting their own ethnic groups or minority group they belong to as long as it is for the right reasons.

I am not sure what you read into what was said but you clearly need a break.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When "we" do it we're racist, when minorities do it it's considered "support" of their community. I think it's moronic. If someone's good they're good. Just because they're a particular race doesn't make them one way or other.

I think most people use those exclusive phone books for the same reason they use a standard one...... because they don't have a good reference for the work they need done so they figure "Why not give it to a fellow Christian" (Or black or what ever.)

When people know of good service, they hire them without much consideration of race or religion.

As for why "European (White) American" phone book, they are coming.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Yeah, I hate that chit. I ran into a few of those too. I won't deal with anyone like that.

But what's worse than that are the realtors who try to 'educate' me on what should be important to me. The white lady I referred to earlier - she wanted to know what my budget was, so I told her. And then she had the temerity to tell me with my income it could be higher. Umm yes I know that but that's my budget. She pulls out these pieces of paper from her little baggy to explain how I could actually afford more. I told her I know what the mortgage underwriting guidelines are (roughly) and am simply not interested. This is a personal value thing - I'm cheap. Respect it or leave. She never could but the Viet guy totally got it. In the end, I'm confident color isn't the best determinant.. values are.

:thumbs:

I simply tell them they are workign for me not the other way around.

If I needed an education in real estate especially for homes I wouldn't be refitting my 5th house now for apartments.

4200sq 2 story on main road (got for 6k n tax auction in Sept.)

42k - 50k renovation with 4 apartments later my mortgage is roughly 380 a motnh on 15yr fixed rate.

each 1 bedroom apt will bring in $600 and each 2 bedroom will bring in $800 a month.

The apartments will be ready to rent in December.

Timeline

If I started a thread like this I would have been suspended with no warning.

Most likely

But I was trying to give Ded the benfit of the doubt until he wanked mypost way out of context to try and twist it as if I were syaing something totally wrong and bigoted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If I started a thread like this I would have been suspended with no warning.

Life isn't fair. It's so unfair, the Patriots are winning 20-7 as I write these words. Talk about unfairness.

Life isn't fair. It's so unfair, the Patriots are winning 20-7 as I write these words. Talk about unfairness.

And Indy lost again yesterday. :devil: Ooops. Now I'll be accused of being disruptive and derailing the thread. I can't win.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

And Indy lost again yesterday. :devil: Ooops. Now I'll be accused of being disruptive and derailing the thread. I can't win.

I haven't hijacked any threads in a long time. I've got the itch. It happens sometimes.