Think~Pink

Converting qualifications

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi all, I did do a search for this, but the results were irrelevant to the question I have.

I have been doing some research on this myself, but am finding it hard to find the right information, so I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I haven't been in the job hunting market for many years, so I don't have the best qualifications on paper, as I am mostly self taught and have experience instead.

I want to update my resume, but obviously, UK qualifications don't translate in the US.

Does anyone know the US equivalent of GCSE's/O'Levels, NVQ's in all levels, City and Guilds Vocational qualifications...any help at all will be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I am looking for the same info, iv just been approved on my Conditional residency , im now looking for work.. I am from England and i went to college for beauty therapy, my qualification are NVQ city and gills. I qualified in 2005 and havent really done it much due to not enough experience ( which is anoying when i spent 3 year in college) but im hoping to get for the opportunity here, Want to know if i have to retrain or take a refeshment course etc..

I didnt get good result on my GCSE's tho which isnt good :s.

November 2007: Michael Messaged Leanne on Facebook!

January 2009: Michael & Leanne got engaged!

May 26, 2009: Filed I-129F!

November 20, 2009: Leanne's medical in London (she never received packet 3)

Februay 4, 2010: Michael attended interview with Leanne... APPROVED!!!!!!!!

Februay 12, 2010: Leanne received her visa in the mail :)

April 9, 2010: P.O.E.

April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA t4527.gif

July 06, 2010: Mailed AOS package

July 08, 2010: Received in Chicago

July 15, 2010: Received text & email that app. was received

July 17, 2010: Received NOA1 dated 7-14-10, our 3-month wedding anniversary :)

August 2, 2010: Biometrics appointment

August 11, 2010: Notice of Interview date

August 26, 2010: Touches on I-131 & I-765, production of EAD card ordered

August 31, 2010: I-131 Travel Doc. approved, EAD production ordered(again)

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail!(both dated 8/26)

September 20, 2010: AOS Interview- APPROVED

July 27, 2012: Filed for Removal of Conditions

July 30, 2012: NOA date

August 31, 2012: Biometrics appointment. March 12, 2013: APPROVED :)

Timeline

Doesn't look like we will get much luck Yorkshirerose.

I have done a lot of searching before and after I posted this and it seems no one has a definitive answer. There are a lot of conflicting opinions, but no concrete comparisons.

The one thing I have found that is consistent, is that any GCSE's you have are the equivalent to a high school diploma over here, so I think as long as you passed your exams, you can say that you graduated high school with a High school diploma/GED at least.

Unfortunately, that doesn't get you very far when looking for work over here...nothing short of entry level jobs anyway.

I would like to know about other qualifications though, so I guess I will dig some more :)

Timeline

I did a little research too, the information i was reading said,thepass grades, from highest to lowest, are: A* (pronounced 'A-star'), A, B, C, D, E, F and G and aGCSE at grades D–G is a Level 1 qualification, while a GCSE at grades A*–C is a Level 2 qualification.

U (unclassified or ungraded).

According to the British Council's website, five GCSE passes are the equivalent of one high school diploma.

Now I dont really remeber my GCSE grade, but im thinking i got E's and F's.. Do u thinkthay will be away to find out.?? Like contactng the school?? Iv no proof of these grade due to moving a few times, they got lost.. :unsure:

I also read a NVQ qualification is not reconized in the UK. :(

April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA t4527.gif

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail!(both dated 8/26)

Timeline

I don't know how you could find out really...you can try asking your school, but it depends on how long ago it was I suppose.

You could try these people: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_073439 , if they can't tell you, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

I still have all my certificates etc, so based on your info, I do have the High School Diploma equivalent, but like I said...it won't get me very far.

If I could find the equivalent of the other qualifications, that would be great.

I also read that A Level's are equivalent to a bachelors or masters depending on what grade you got, but again, there were some people disputing it and no one could offer any concrete proof.

Good luck, I will update this if I find any other information.

I am American and involved in academia, so maybe I can help. I am somewhat familiar with English school levels and exams (but no expert to be sure). There are a few issues here that can save you some time. I've read this thread ove the past few days and basically, I think you are going about it the wrong way.

Here, all we have is Highschool (you graduate when you are 18), Bachelor's degree, master's etc. If you do not have a master's degree from a university, there is no way you can turn an exam into a degree. (I can't believe someone would suggest that even a good grade on an exam taken at age 18 is anything near a master's degree anywhere!) If you went to uni you have a bachelor's degree (there it takes 3 years, here it takes 4). If you did not go to uni, you have no bachelor's degree. That's all there is to it.

Regarding grades on highschool-age tests, on US resumes we do not list grades, unless you are fresh out of school. I know on UK cvs it is standard to do so. Here, if you passed, you get a diploma. That's all an employer needs to know. If the British Council says 5 pass grades is like a HS diploma, I believe them. If you don't have 5 pass grades, you could always take the GED in the US if you wanted.

If you have some sort of qualification like beauty/esthetician or construction, you will need to get requalified in the US, which probably just requires passing an exam (if you already are trained in said field).

I wouldn't fret or try to fake your resume. Work experience can count for a lot in the US. Hope that helps.

Edit: Uni in England is usually called "college" here (even though they are really unis); don't confuse that with English college.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

That helps a lot...thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

My husband has been telling me not to fret and that my experience will count for more, but after applying for so many jobs and not getting any replies, you start to wonder what you need to change.

I am finding it difficult to find a job within my profession, so I thought I might change direction and use some of my earlier qualifications and experience. At least I now know what to look for.

Thank you once again :)

Timeline

Thank you for the information :).

I also have a nail technology certificate - International Health and Beauty council(IHBC) and International Institute of Health and Holistic Therapies (IIHHT).

I want to just concentrate on doing nail techonology.

Im going to try and go and see someone from a beauty school and get them to check out my certificates.

Oh good, I'm glad that helped.

@ Thinkpink, experience will count for a lot here. Have you tried revamping your resume and making sure it looks like an american one? If it includes things like marital status, age, or grades from highschool age stuff, employers might get confused and pass it by (because we don't put that here).

@yorkshire I just did a search about nail technician licensing and yes, you will need a license issued by your state. As an example, here is a page for New Jersey.

http://www.manicure.com/nail-technician/state-license/New-Jersey/32

I am guessing that since you have English certificates, you probably just need to take the test or something to get certified here.

Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Just to echo what was said above, I've found that most employers don't care about what grades you got in your GCSE. They don't even know what they are, what's important is that you passed your exams in high school. So when asked if you have a HD Diploma, you can say yes. I'm not sure what the equivalent of the NVQ would be, but I have read in a few places that it might be the same as an Associates degree in the US - the stage before the Bachelor.

I think the important thing is to explain to your employer during any interview the differences. For instance, my last interviewer thought my 'A Levels' was another degree, so I explained that in the UK we leave school at 16 and then go to a college, take A Levels, and then go on to university. She was happy to learn something new about how we do things. And I also learned to find the differences in the actual programme and push the advantages. Apparently in the States, their Bachelor programmes aren't as vocational as ours (no research experience during their psychology programme) whereas in the UK, it was compulsory to do this for two years. Lots of employers are pleased to hear of that.

Timeline

Oh good, I'm glad that helped.

@ Thinkpink, experience will count for a lot here. Have you tried revamping your resume and making sure it looks like an american one? If it includes things like marital status, age, or grades from highschool age stuff, employers might get confused and pass it by (because we don't put that here).

@yorkshire I just did a search about nail technician licensing and yes, you will need a license issued by your state. As an example, here is a page for New Jersey.

http://www.manicure....e/New-Jersey/32

I am guessing that since you have English certificates, you probably just need to take the test or something to get certified here.

Good luck!

Yes, I have revamped it with my husbands help. I basically took his format and added my information.

I haven't put grades etc on there, just the fact I passed my exams.

I also haven't included age, marital status etc, I was aware that legally they are not permitted to ask you that, so no point in offering it up if I don't have to ;)

One thing I do have problems with is when applications ask me why I left a particular job.

In one of my jobs, I was basically fired for not allowing my boss to drink and drive, (I had his car keys and wouldn't give them to him to drive home after a Christmas party). I was the designated driver, since I don't drink and he lived near me, so we agreed beforehand I would drive.

Anyway, I ended up with another job, but went back to work there 2 years later as the pay was much better.

I don't know whether to be honest, or word it in a different way when they ask why I left.

I don't think it sounds right to put that on an application, but I don't want to lie either..any ideas?

@Gemmie - I will definitely explain how it works in the UK, if I can ever get to the interview stage, as I am pretty sure that not many US employers will be familiar with the UK education system :)

Edited by Think~Pink

Timeline

Well i managed to find out what my GCSE results are but emailing my school. Just what i thought Es, Fs and Gs. So if that website i was reading is correct iv just passed :unsure:

I can get my GCSE certificate again but me personally or someone with a permission letter from me has to collect them. So of course i carnt personally go lol so iv now to send a letter to england for my mother and then she will have to send me my certificate to the US lol, seems a wild goose chase, lol but i guess i will have them incase i need them.

Timeline

Hey Gem thanks for the clarificaiton; I've been trying to figure this out. I helped my husband and step son with "Americanizing" thier resume but never quite undstood this school piece. :)

Date I-129F Sent: 8-4-08
Date I-129F NOA1: 8-6-08
Date I-129F NOA2: 12-214-08
Date left NVC: 1-7-09
Packet 3: 1-23-09
Medical appt: 2-20-09
Packet 3 Returned: 3-8-09
Packet 3 Received at Embassy: 3-10-09
Interview Date: 4-24-09! PASSED :)
Visa In Hand: 4-19-09
POE in San Fran: 8-16-09!
Wedding: 09-09-09
Mailed AOS: 10-22-09 :))) (FINally)
AOS signed for: 10-26-09
Check cashed: 10-30-09
NOA I-797 (Register, EAD and Travel) for both guys: 10-30-09
Biometrics: 11-25-09
Travel Docs approved: 12-11-09
EAD Approval: 12-15-09
Travel Docs received: 12-19-09
EAD Cards received: 12-24-09
AOS Interview: 1-14-10 Passed!!
Cards ordered: 1-21-10
Cards arrived: 1-28-10
Mailed I-751: 10-17-2011
NOA I-751: 10/19/2011
Biometrics: 11/21/2011
RFE: 4-6-2012
RFE: Response sent 4/18/2012
NOA: I-797 5/1/2012
Cards arrived: 5/31/2012

N-400 Naturalization mailed: 11-12-15 :luv::joy:

NOA N-400 received: 11-18-15

Biometrics: 12-10-15
Oath/Citizen!: 03/01/2016
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love. ~Author Unknown

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
One thing I do have problems with is when applications ask me why I left a particular job.

In one of my jobs, I was basically fired for not allowing my boss to drink and drive, (I had his car keys and wouldn't give them to him to drive home after a Christmas party). I was the designated driver, since I don't drink and he lived near me, so we agreed beforehand I would drive.

Anyway, I ended up with another job, but went back to work there 2 years later as the pay was much better.

I don't know whether to be honest, or word it in a different way when they ask why I left.

I don't think it sounds right to put that on an application, but I don't want to lie either..any ideas?

Personally that story could affect different people in different ways:

1. You're an honest person

2. You don't listen to your boss

3. You're a spoil-sport

4. you think you know better than others

I think the fact you ended up there later shows there was no bad blood so I would find something you found positive about the job change and use that...

1. lower commute

2. better benefits

3. better pay

4. higher position in the company

5. More responsibility

6. change in direction

The new employer is unlikely to know the dynamics at your old workplace so telling the whole story while admirable, probably isn't the best idea on the application. By all means explain the story in person if you get a call back, so make sure your application answer marries with the actual truth, but in writing it's hard to judge someone's reaction to it and expand if required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Random but given the US schooling system, and their level of education, I think Aussie high school is US GED + some college. Our university isn't like their college, it's like their Uni... it's a bit bizarre trying to explain how ours compares. My TAFE certificate is considered an Associates Degree in the US.. sounds much more posh :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.