mamaronga

Can co-sponsor on I-864 Affadavit of Support be removed early?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello VJ family!

I searched the forums and only found 1 other post posted on this topic---so I wanted to see if there was more information out there!

My parents co-sponsored my spouse for his AOS because at the time I did not meet the federal government poverty guidelines. Now, 9 months after my spouse has become a permanent resident, I DO meet the poverty guidelines in order to be a sponsor for AOS. In the interest of getting my parents out of a position of responsibility earlier than the 2 years, 3 months we will need to wait until my spouse can be a citizen, I would like to know if there is a method of removing my parents as co-sponsors... As Myself, as the other co-sponsor, can now sponsor my spouse alone.

Is there any tool or method for doing this? I've read the I-864 and have found no information on this. If you have a link or a source, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

-Mamaronga

Dec. 15, 2008- I-129F mailed in

Dec. 18, 2008- Received by VSC

Dec. 18, 2008- NOA1 issued by VSC

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

Dec. 24, 2008- NOA1 received in mail

Apr. 9, 2009- NOA2 issued by VSC

Jan. 1, 2009- Fiances re-united! :)

.... (need to find data)

Aug. 17, 2009 POE in Miami

Oct. 30, 2009 Submitted AOS

Dec. 18, 2009 Email about approval of Advance Parole and issuance of EAD

Jan. 14, 2010 AOS interview and approval

Jan. 21, 2010 (approximately!) Green Card received in the mail

Continue on your plan to make the immigrant an USC - that will solve the issue "early"

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

No

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you have a source for that? (The I-864 itself doesn't necessarily specify that answer...)

Dec. 15, 2008- I-129F mailed in

Dec. 18, 2008- Received by VSC

Dec. 18, 2008- NOA1 issued by VSC

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

Dec. 24, 2008- NOA1 received in mail

Apr. 9, 2009- NOA2 issued by VSC

Jan. 1, 2009- Fiances re-united! :)

.... (need to find data)

Aug. 17, 2009 POE in Miami

Oct. 30, 2009 Submitted AOS

Dec. 18, 2009 Email about approval of Advance Parole and issuance of EAD

Jan. 14, 2010 AOS interview and approval

Jan. 21, 2010 (approximately!) Green Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you have a source for that? (The I-864 itself doesn't necessarily specify that answer...)

Nope.

the co-sponsors and joint sponsors have the same responsibilities as the sponsor. and yes, read the instructions for the i864. it applies to your parents as well. in the isntructions it does tell you how long does the responsibility lasts. check on page 3 of the instructions.

How Long Does My Obligationas a Sponsor Continue?

Your obligation to support the immigrant(s) you are sponsoring in this affidavit of support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States.Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equate to ten years of work, in certain cases the work of aspouse or parent adds qualifying quarters. The Social Security Administration can provide information on how to countqualifying quarters (credits) of work. The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident and departs the United States. Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

Yes it does.

Your obligation to support the immigrant(s) you are sponsoring in this affidavit of support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen,

or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States. Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equate to ten years of work, in certain cases the work of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters. The Social Security Administration can provide information on how to count qualifying quarters (credits) of work.

The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident and departs the United States.

Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

So unless you fall under one of these four things, the affidavit is indefinite, with no route to withdraw it "early".

Again - USC is the fastest way you have atm.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Once they sign it and send it in they are stuck for the whole time.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.