fescobar

K-3 Approved wife home in US what next

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey guys first of all I want to thank all those who helped me out in the process of getting my wife's visa approved.

After much doubt and hopes on the forum and NVC side, my wife got the K-3 approved and now I am looking to see whats next.

Reasons I ask as to what next is because I never cancelled the I-130 (dont know if I should) but I just got a letter from NVC to pay up for the Immigrant Visa Prossesing fee. I know the K-3 is a non-immigrant visa and I checked the CDJ number since I had two diffrent numbers for the I-129F and the I-130.

Should I ignore the stuff for the I-130 from here on out or should I continue with the process even though she is here in the US now.

Thanks in advanced.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Should I ignore the stuff for the I-130 from here on out or should I continue with the process even though she is here in the US now.

Thanks in advanced.

My suggestion to you is to continue that process but include evidence that your wife is now in the US. Furthermore, you will have to file for Adjustment of Status since she entered on a K3 visa (you probably already know that). File for AOS ASAP.

Those who are more knowledgeable with the K3 can provide better answers and suggestions.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

My suggestion to you is to continue that process but include evidence that your wife is now in the US. Furthermore, you will have to file for Adjustment of Status since she entered on a K3 visa (you probably already know that). File for AOS ASAP.

Those who are more knowledgeable with the K3 can provide better answers and suggestions.

If he's going to adjust status there's no need to continue the I-130.

Some people that have their act together do go ahead and get the CR-1 visa and shin on the K3.

CR-1 is cheaper and WAY better visa.

Just a few reasons why to go with the CR-1. If you are eligible for a IR-1 then you would be nuts going with a K3!

The K3 has to adjust status which cost $1010 + $131 visas application fee.

Have to go thru the cost and hassles of getting a I-693 also.

K3 normally has to do biometrics and have a AOS interview. Time off from work cost the petitioner. PLUS the hassles of submitting the paperwork and going for the interview. Tain’t fun.. Especially if denied or questioned. Ever done a Stokes interview?

That’s the second interview if they are in doubt of your relationship.

Also a possibility of being deported. Yeah doesn’t happen much but it happens.

K3 has to wait about 90 days after they file to get EAD or GC so they can get SSN and be able to work.

CR-1 can work as soon as they get the GC and SS card in the mail. Normally with 6 weeks.

Can’t do a LOT of things without SSN. Like work or get a drivers license in some states.

Some K visas don’t get GC for a LONG time.

If petitioner goes belly up before you get GC you stand a chance of being deported.

If the petitioner loses his/her job after the interview you don’t have to worry about getting a co sponsor to adjust status!

CR-1 cost about $470

Get their GC and SS card in the mail within 6 weeks of arrival.

No biometrics , dealing with civil surgeons, AOS interviews, going to SSA for SS card.

I’m sure I’ve missed a few things.

Bottomline is anyone that goes with the K3 the way things are now are masochist!

Yeah I did but at that time K3s were a LOT faster. That’s not the case anymore.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You are in an envious position, oh FescoBar !

You have a CHOICE !!!! You (and her) GET TO CHOOSE SOMETHING !!!

Your two choices are

--follow through with the NVC Processing for the CR-1 petition, get new medical in Mexico, have interview in Mexico, get new CR-1 visa in Mexico. She can stay in USA whilst waiting - suggest to return to Mexico about 1 week prior to interview day, to get the medical done (if needed). When she comes across the border after the interview, the green card will be activated and sent to her via postal mail. Total Cost - 404 + 80 at NVC, plus any medical exam costs in Mexico (this might be waived, if the medical exam was recent, and you can give the sealed medical exam packet to the IO on interview day). My estimate for turnaround (NVC start to finish to interview day) - 4 months - but it could be less IF you can convince an NVC supervisor to enroll your casefile into 'Mexico Electronic Processing', getting a MEP casefile #.

or

--submit a complete AOS package to get a greencard - Total Cost - 1010 + any additional civil surgeon attestation fees, Turnaround Time 3 to 9 months. She doesn't have to leave USA for this, at all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Fescobar, I'm truly happy for you that your wife received the K3. This is the way it should be for so many others to be allowed this process, but anytime something great happens for another person, it's a celebration! Congratulations, so excited for this to happen for you! :thumbs:

I-130 Received Date per letter Feb 22, 2010

I-130 NOA1 Notice Date per letter Feb 28, 2010

I-130 Touched March 2, 2010

I-130 Touched March 23, 2010 no e-mail despite e-mail alert on, thankful nonetheless!

Kids Register of Birth Abroad & passport appointment March 31st, 2010 approved.

I-129F NOA1 April 8, 2010 (Let's see what happens with this K3 application) ugh!

I-129F Touched June 15, 2010

I-129F RFE (our atty forgot to complete 2 lines)

I-130 Approved June 23, 2010 121 days from NOA1

I-129F RFE details Received by USCIS July 7, 2010

I-130 Case # at NVC obtained July 8, 2010

I-130 NVC sent affidavit of support and visa bills July 8, 2010

I-129F approved by USCIS and sent to NVC

I-129F confirmed received by NVC and per supervisor, it will be administratively closed

I-129F letter recvd of administratively closed K3 app Aug 2, 2010

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

thanks for all the wonderful and insightful help. even though many people warned me about the high cost of the K-3 as I sit here and compare cost i think its still cheaper for me to pay the K-3 than to continue with the IR-1.

The IR-1/ CR-1 has costs of about 500 yes but to include airfare to and from Juarez (most likely again) about 200 if bought cheap. Another 160 dollars for the medical, and about 200 dollars for a x amount of nights in the hotel again. plus add another 200 if I go to juarez so thats one more extra plane ticket. oh and plus food :)

thats an aditional burden of 700+ dollars

thats what I can pay for the adjustment of status for the K-3 and not have to worry about flying to a very dangerous city for an unknown number of days.

Well thats how I see it

Any aditinal costs you can see on the K-3 other than the medical?

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

thanks for all the wonderful and insightful help. even though many people warned me about the high cost of the K-3 as I sit here and compare cost i think its still cheaper for me to pay the K-3 than to continue with the IR-1.

The IR-1/ CR-1 has costs of about 500 yes but to include airfare to and from Juarez (most likely again) about 200 if bought cheap. Another 160 dollars for the medical, and about 200 dollars for a x amount of nights in the hotel again. plus add another 200 if I go to juarez so thats one more extra plane ticket. oh and plus food :)

thats an aditional burden of 700+ dollars

thats what I can pay for the adjustment of status for the K-3 and not have to worry about flying to a very dangerous city for an unknown number of days.

Well thats how I see it

Any aditinal costs you can see on the K-3 other than the medical?

K3 is not really a lot expensive as compared to IR1. You would utmost around $500-1000(if it is IR1 you wont have Removal of conditions). In your case since your wife is already here I donot think it is a wise idea to go back to Mexico just to save an insignificant amount of money just to do the consular processing. I would just go the AOS route. That saving is cheaper than the price of the air ticket from India to USA in our case. With the current processing times if you file for a I-485 you should be able to get it complete within 3-4months. You really got lucky that they processed your K3 even though your approval was after Feb 1st.

Remember that you will not have to redo your medical and you can use your K3 medicals for AOS if it is filed within one year. If I were you since your wife is already here I will not even consider consular processing or going out of the country just for the consular processing. Just file AOS and around 3-4 months you will be done with the whole thing.

9/1/2009: Applied for I-130

9/14/2009: NOA1 for I-130

9/21/2009: NOA1 for I-129F (CSC)

9/25/2009: NOA1 received for I-129F (receipt of mail)

01/08/2010 : Thank you very much Jesus..... NOA 2 129F

01/08/2010 : NOA 2 I-130

01/15/2010 : Embassy gets the approval notice (Awesome..Love K3...so glad we have done K3)

01/20/2010: Embassy schedules interview for K3

02/19/2010: K3 interview over and approved.

[Thank You very much Jesus and our heavenly father.]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.