Arazia

Question about visits while in processing...

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I posted this in my other topic, but most people payed attention to the initial questions. Quite understandable. Anyways, my fiancee' and I had planned for him to come spend the holidays here with me and my family. He has, in the past, come here on a visa waver program, meaning he gets a visa at the border because of a deal between the US and a number of other countries. Would this still be a valid way of him entering the country to visit while our K-1 is processing? What should we do if his interview ends up during the time that he'll be here? (Unlikely, but I'm a compulsive worrier.)

I really don't want to have to cancel that visit due to conflicts with the whole K-1 visa process, because I really want to see him and have him spend the holidays and our first aniversary here with me. Any advice?

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wish I could answer this, but I dont have any experience. I have read of it being done on this site. Specifically from Canada. There is no guarantee he will get across, but my understanding is it can be done.

3/11/06 - 3/26/06 Visited my baby in the PI's

3/29/06 - K1 packet recieved at NSC

6/01/06 - Redirected to CSC

6/14/06 - CSC e-mailed confirmation on the reciept of file

6/23/06 - They they sent the IMBRA RFE

7/03/06 - The emailed that the IMBRA RFE went out on 6/23/06

7/03/06 - I received IMBRA RFE

7/05/06 - Touched

7/06/06 - Delivery Confirmation from the Post Office RFE recieved

7/11/06 - Email notification from CSC that IMBRA RFE Recieved

7/12/06 - Touched (but was to respond to an email that only said 'request recieved and will be processed within 30 days. argh)

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

10/18/06 - Received at Embassy

12/23/06 - Recieved package with interview/medical schedule

01/08/06 - CFO interview/(pre-departure class) Complete

1/11/07 & 1/12/07 Medical complete

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/7/07 (2/8/07 manila) - Informed we are approved...3 days after interview.

2/12/07 Visa Received

2/16/07 Baby arrives in US!!!!!

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I would not risk it. They have turned away some people. I did not risk it, because otherwise you have to start all over again.

Good luck on your further journey.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

I posted this in my other topic, but most people payed attention to the initial questions. Quite understandable. Anyways, my fiancee' and I had planned for him to come spend the holidays here with me and my family. He has, in the past, come here on a visa waver program, meaning he gets a visa at the border because of a deal between the US and a number of other countries. Would this still be a valid way of him entering the country to visit while our K-1 is processing? What should we do if his interview ends up during the time that he'll be here? (Unlikely, but I'm a compulsive worrier.)

I really don't want to have to cancel that visit due to conflicts with the whole K-1 visa process, because I really want to see him and have him spend the holidays and our first aniversary here with me. Any advice?

Hi Arazia. I'm from Belgium, a country that just like the Netherlands also falls under the Visa Waiver Program. I have visited my sweetheart 5 times so far (3 times after filing the K1) and haven't had any problems so far. It's definitely not illegal to go the US whilst the K1 is processing but they might ask questions at the border. If they do, answer them honestly. This being said, I've read from others that some have been denied entry because apparently immigration feers that you'll stay in the US without having a Visa / illegaly. Every time I went through immigration, I told them I came to visit my boyfriend and they've never asked any further questions or asked for any kind of proof that I still have ties to my home country.

So, up to you, but I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck.

23 Mar 06 - NOA 1 from CSC (transfered from TSC)

23 Jun 06 - RFE sent by USCIS:

08 Jul 06 - RFE reply received by USCIS:

11 Jul 06 - Touched (to confirm receipt IMBRA RFE on the 8th)

13 Aug 06 - e-mailed USCIS

14 Aug 06 - Rec e-mail saying they do not respond to e-mails

14 Aug 06 - Rec Not 1,but 3, e-mails case status change, they responded to my e-mail, requesting more Info

16 Aug 06 - touched for the very first time, FEELS SOOOOOO GOOD!

18 Aug 06 - tried calling USCIS,

8 Sept 06 - called USCIS-CSC Info line said they could not find any info on our recpt. #

12 Sept 06 - Contact with USCIS NSC - transfered to a imigration officer. said our case was being processed but unable to give me any info past that.

23 Sept 06 - Flew to Belgium to be with Inge, Get married and File DCF

24 Sept 06 - Received e-mail notification K-1 approved, What they waited forme to leava the US to approve???????????

24 Sept 06 Interview Date with police to be married in Belgium

27 Sept 06 Medical appointment for K-1 and DCF , We now have 2 options

31 Oct 06 Authorization from Brugge to Marry

10 Nov 06 MARRIED IN BELGIUM

13 Nov 06 Filed DCF for CR1 Immigrant Visa

20 Nov 06 Received CR1 Immigrant Visa

WE ARE GOING HOME ON DECEMBER 3rd, TOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Here are some threads you can read about it:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=24770&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=22675&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=21387&hl=

Basically, whilst your fiance *can* visit you while his K1 is pending, he *might* be denied entry at POE, especially if the pending K1 visa comes up. As SteveInge said, if they ask questions about it, honesty is the best policy. Also, as you may be aware, approval or denial is decided by the officer at POE. He should bring proof of strong ties to his home country.

As for the interview, it's scheduled by the consulate/interview and the waiting time is of approximately 1 month (after they get the petition from NVC). So... you may want to check with the consulate or embassy if it is possible to reschedule. However, given the time they take to schedule interviews and depending on how fast the processing of your petition goes at USCIS, you might want to forget about the visit altogether so he'd come after the interview. At this point, we're merely speculating about the timeline, right?

More info: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...p;cty=Amsterdam

Edited by Mew

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
Basically, whilst your fiance *can* visit you while his K1 is pending, he *might* be denied entry at POE, especially if the pending K1 visa comes up. As SteveInge said, if they ask questions about it, honesty is the best policy. Also, as you may be aware, approval or denial is decided by the officer at POE. He should bring proof of strong ties to his home country.

As for the interview, it's scheduled by the consulate/interview and the waiting time is of approximately 1 month (after they get the petition from NVC). So... you may want to check with the consulate or embassy if it is possible to reschedule. However, given the time they take to schedule interviews and depending on how fast the processing of your petition goes at USCIS, you might want to forget about the visit altogether so he'd come after the interview. At this point, we're merely speculating about the timeline, right?

How exactly does one proove strong ties to their home country? In the past, it only required a ticket/return itinerary to the country of origin. For example, he came from Brussels last time he arrived and not from the Netherlands at all.

Would it be better for us to hold off on submitting our forms to USCIS for a few months so it is less likely that they will be processed by then? I know it may sound selfish, but we really don't want to miss the Holiday visit.

Timeline

How exactly does one proove strong ties to their home country? In the past, it only required a ticket/return itinerary to the country of origin. For example, he came from Brussels last time he arrived and not from the Netherlands at all.

Would it be better for us to hold off on submitting our forms to USCIS for a few months so it is less likely that they will be processed by then? I know it may sound selfish, but we really don't want to miss the Holiday visit.

You'll find that info on the third thread I listed. :)

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

HI ARAZIA

To answer your question that your fiance can visit you on non immigrant visa u can read the statement of the consulor officer regarding this question-

(extract from questions asked by conselor officer in manila at usa embassy)

If your fiance has a non-immigrant visa he can still travel to the USA while his/her petition is pending. If she/he is applying for tourist visa, needs to show that she/he has significant ties to the manila/ netherland and plus return after her trip

I hope it can satisfy u

Timeline

You'll find that info on the third thread I listed. :)

Eheh, unfortunately almost none of the things mentioned in that other than return plane ticket itinerary apply. He has no leases, no cars, no job (he's a student), he's quitting school after this semester and starting over here in the US. That kind of leaves me hand-tied...

Timeline
Eheh, unfortunately almost none of the things mentioned in that other than return plane ticket itinerary apply. He has no leases, no cars, no job (he's a student), he's quitting school after this semester and starting over here in the US. That kind of leaves me hand-tied...

If he can show he's going back to school - showing he's enrolled and has to go back to finish school - he could use that. However, there's no way to be absolutely sure whether he'd be allowed to enter or not. So you might end up spending a lot of money and putting a lot of energy/hope into something only to see that things haven't gone according to plan.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

If he can show he's going back to school - showing he's enrolled and has to go back to finish school - he could use that. However, there's no way to be absolutely sure whether he'd be allowed to enter or not. So you might end up spending a lot of money and putting a lot of energy/hope into something only to see that things haven't gone according to plan.

That's the thing, though, he's quitting school at the end of the term so he can re-start/transfer here. So he probably won't have classes or anything to go back to. I'll talk it over with him and see what he wants to do. Would a border patrol officer generally know about a k-1 visa being in-processing? The last time he came through, all he had to say was he was visiting his girlfriend and for how long and they didn't ask anything else.

Timeline
That's the thing, though, he's quitting school at the end of the term so he can re-start/transfer here. So he probably won't have classes or anything to go back to. I'll talk it over with him and see what he wants to do. Would a border patrol officer generally know about a k-1 visa being in-processing? The last time he came through, all he had to say was he was visiting his girlfriend and for how long and they didn't ask anything else.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether officers would know about a K1. Anyone?

From what I've read, even if they don't, there's no guarantee that he'll be allowed in. They might ask other questions, be tougher and ask to see proof of strong ties. There's no way to predict that.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It'll probably better for YOU to go visit. Is that a posibility?

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Timeline
It'll probably better for YOU to go visit. Is that a posibility?

It is a possibility, and one we've considered previously. I have to admit that after my first visit there, I'm a little uncomfortable with his country. It's strange to be in a world where you don't speak the language and don't know the customs. His mother is not all that fond of me, as well. Nothing personal, she just doesn't like the fact that her son is dating an American. Additionally, we've had a pretty bad death in the family this past year, and in some way I feel like I shouldn't leave the country over the holidays, if that makes sense.

Anyways, I will discuss that option with him. That might be the best alternative. Thanks.

Filed: Timeline

Arazia,

Yes, the VWP would still be a valid way for him to enter the USA.

If the interview is scheduled to conflict with the visit I would opt for the interview, but everyone has their own priorities.

Yodrak

Milka,

Start what all over again?

Yodrak

I would not risk it. They have turned away some people. I did not risk it, because otherwise you have to start all over again.

Good luck on your further journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.