j&js

Wedding in the Catholic Church...

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey guys, James and I are planning our bigger, church wedding at the moment and I had a few questions for anyone who knows anything about the Catholic Church.

I am Jewish, although not really practicing, I have heard that this isn't really a problem as long as you agree to raise your children Catholic (which I have always told James I would be fine with as he is much more religious than I) Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Our other, we think bigger question is do we need to belong to a parish to have our wedding there? Some people told us that and now we're a little worried... If we have had nothing to do with any catholic church in America, are we going to have trouble getting someone to marry us in one??

We are going to churches in the next few days to do some research, but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect. Plus I have heard that the answers to these sort of questions can vary depending on the priest, so I'd like to hear as many experiences as possible.

Thanks!

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hey guys, James and I are planning our bigger, church wedding at the moment and I had a few questions for anyone who knows anything about the Catholic Church.

I am Jewish, although not really practicing, I have heard that this isn't really a problem as long as you agree to raise your children Catholic (which I have always told James I would be fine with as he is much more religious than I) Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Our other, we think bigger question is do we need to belong to a parish to have our wedding there? Some people told us that and now we're a little worried... If we have had nothing to do with any catholic church in America, are we going to have trouble getting someone to marry us in one??

We are going to churches in the next few days to do some research, but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect. Plus I have heard that the answers to these sort of questions can vary depending on the priest, so I'd like to hear as many experiences as possible.

Thanks!

Hi there,

When myself and kristina were planning our wedding we didnt have to belong to any parish. We live in a small village in NH yet we got married in amesbury,MA which is aprox 25 mins away in a car.

We just rang some local churches and asked how much they charged. Ours charged us $500 for the use. Priests dont really mind if you dont belong to a parish as long as you make a donation. Go to the church where you live right and ask them.They would have more info.It all depends what style of church you want. Oh and congrats and have fun planning the church wedding.

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I did it the first time- we had to go to a weekend thing (School) about marrige and religion before the priest would marry us, 2 weekends in a row. yuck. Anyway, and councilling with the priest before hand for a couple sessions at least! (Lot o good it did me- no longer married to him) Yes and a promise to raise your children catholic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks!

You don't need to belong to a parish. The catholic church closest to your house is considered your parish even if you are not a member. I would suggest going to them first and if you opt to get married in another catholic church they will ask you to get permission of the church that is conidered your home parish.

I think you can get married in a Catholic church but it also depends on the church itself. Some are more traditional than others. I don't think you will able to receive communion during your ceremony since you are not christian.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

i was raised a roman catholic and the church wants you to convert before marriage. my uncle converted when he married my aunt. it is something to reall ythink about. if you dont marr yin the catholic church they will nor recognise your marriage. bet they would love the fact i am marrying a muslim hahahahahahaha

Edited by samir_shannon

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

A non-Catholic can marry in the Catholic church. A lapsed Catholic cannot.

I knew someone who converted from Catholicism to Islam but was marrying a Catholic. The Church considered him a lapsed Catholic, and would not marry him. He had to petition the Vatican to ex-communicate him so that he would be considered a non-Catholic and not a lapsed Catholic.

They got married, so I assume he was successful.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

i was raised a roman catholic and the church wants you to convert before marriage. my uncle converted when he married my aunt. it is something to reall ythink about. if you dont marr yin the catholic church they will nor recognise your marriage. bet they would love the fact i am marrying a muslim hahahahahahaha

Not true. You are describing pre-Vatican II doctrine. From The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Mixed marriages and disparity of cult

1633 In many countries the situation of a mixed marriage (marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic) often arises. It requires particular attention on the part of couples and their pastors. A case of marriage with disparity of cult (between a Catholic and a nonbaptized person) requires even greater circumspection.

1634 Difference of confession between the spouses does not constitute an insurmountable obstacle for marriage, when they succeed in placing in common what they have received from their respective communities, and learn from each other the way in which each lives in fidelity to Christ. But the difficulties of mixed marriages must not be underestimated. They arise from the fact that the separation of Christians has not yet been overcome. The spouses risk experiencing the tragedy of Christian disunity even in the heart of their own home. Disparity of cult can further aggravate these difficulties. Differences about faith and the very notion of marriage, but also different religious mentalities, can become sources of tension in marriage, especially as regards the education of children. The temptation to religious indifference can then arise.

1635 According to the law in force in the Latin Church, a mixed marriage needs for liceity the express permission of ecclesiastical authority.[135] In case of disparity of cult an express dispensation from this impediment is required for the validity of the marriage.[136] This permission or dispensation presupposes that both parties know and do not exclude the essential ends and properties of marriage and the obligations assumed by the Catholic party concerning the baptism and education of the children in the Catholic Church.[137]

1636 Through ecumenical dialogue Christian communities in many regions have been able to put into effect a common pastoral practice for mixed marriages. Its task is to help such couples live out their particular situation in the light of faith, overcome the tensions between the couple's obligations to each other and towards their ecclesial communities, and encourage the flowering of what is common to them in faith and respect for what separates them.

1637 In marriages with disparity of cult the Catholic spouse has a particular task: "For the unbelieving husband is consecrated through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is consecrated through her husband."[138] It is a great joy for the Christian spouse and for the Church if this "consecration" should lead to the free conversion of the other spouse to the Christian faith.[139] Sincere married love, the humble and patient practice of the family virtues, and perseverance in prayer can prepare the non-believing spouse to accept the grace of conversion.

---------------------------------

As far as 'church shopping' goes, it is frowned upon.

And do expect pre-marital counseling... either in the form of one-on-one with a priest/other married couple, or through an Engaged Encounter weekend....

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks!

You don't need to belong to a parish. The catholic church closest to your house is considered your parish even if you are not a member. I would suggest going to them first and if you opt to get married in another catholic church they will ask you to get permission of the church that is conidered your home parish.

I think you can get married in a Catholic church but it also depends on the church itself. Some are more traditional than others. I don't think you will able to receive communion during your ceremony since you are not christian.

wrong, you cant receive communion if your not CATHOLIC!.. protestants per se can't receive communion either.. again, depends on the church...

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

When you find your church make an appointment to see the parish priest. Build up a rapport with him, explain your situation and go from there.

Yes, the non-catholic partner is asked to agree that children will be brought up in the catholic faith.

Your happiness shines from your photo. The priest will pick up on this!

We had our marriage blessed here in England in June. We are both first marriage divorcees. Hubby is obviously not from this parish. It was the most beautiful ceremony and the priest couldnt of been more accommodating.

Good Luck.

With very best wishes, daisy

Daisy, Surrey UK +++ DJ, California USA

March 2001: Dear Duck.... with kind regards, Daisy

April 2002: Our first visit, the start of many..

How blessed we are to meet and fall in love

May 2005: We marry in California

June 2005: We start the visa process

July 2005: NOA1

Jan 2006: NOA2

Apr 2006: Case complete

Apr 2006: NVC send file to London

June 2006: Church blessing in London

June 2006: Medical

June 2006: Interview

June 2006: VISA!!!!! :)))

Sept 2006: Daisy age 50 and 7/12ths moves to California... whoooohooooooo!

Removal of Conditions

June 2008: Mail package to CSC

July 2008: Biometrics Appt

October 2008: 10 year green card arrives in the mail.

Citizenship

January 2010: Apply for US citizenship.

March 2010: Oath ceremony. Citizenship complete!!!!!

Timeline

Thanks!

wrong, you cant receive communion if your not CATHOLIC!.. protestants per se can't receive communion either.. again, depends on the church...

Actually you can if you are Orthodox, like me. :yes:

As far as 'church shopping' goes, it is frowned upon.

And do expect pre-marital counseling... either in the form of one-on-one with a priest/other married couple, or through an Engaged Encounter weekend....

Jen

You are right, church shopping is frowned upon but happens all the time. The maritial counceling if done with a couple is usually 6 sessions. ( I did it before)

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

A non-Catholic can marry in the Catholic church. A lapsed Catholic cannot.

I knew someone who converted from Catholicism to Islam but was marrying a Catholic. The Church considered him a lapsed Catholic, and would not marry him. He had to petition the Vatican to ex-communicate him so that he would be considered a non-Catholic and not a lapsed Catholic.

They got married, so I assume he was successful.

I am just wondering about this. I am Orthodox and we have to be in good standing with the church to recieve sacraments. A wedding is considered a sacrament. My church will not marry a Non-Christian. Does anyone know the logic of why you can recieve the sacraments of the Catholic chuch if you are not even a believer?

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I am just wondering about this. I am Orthodox and we have to be in good standing with the church to recieve sacraments. A wedding is considered a sacrament. My church will not marry a Non-Christian. Does anyone know the logic of why you can recieve the sacraments of the Catholic chuch if you are not even a believer?

The only Sacrament that a non-believer can receive is the Sacrament of Matrimony IF they are marrying a Catholic who is free to marry (i.e. never married, previous marriage was dissolved through annulment, or the person was widowed) and only AFTER special dispensation is granted as described in the Catechism above.

Jen

Edited by JenT

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline

The only Sacrament that a non-believer can receive is the Sacrament of Matrimony IF they are marrying a Catholic who is free to marry (i.e. never married, previous marriage was dissolved through annulment, or the person was widowed) and only AFTER special dispensation is granted as described in the Catechism above.

Jen

Then I would assume it would not be a full mass. A full mass includes recieving communion so then that is out of the question.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Yes, it could be a full Mass... the non-Catholic would abstain from receiving Communion, as would any of the witnesses in attendance. Same as any other Mass.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

hey, if u don't believe in Jesus Mom.. no wafer for ya :lol:

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif