wallaby4rent

Do you have to use it right away?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sometimes a CBP officer will let you do it, but it's totally up to their discretion, I don't think they're actually supposed to, and it could [remote possibility] confuse things leading into your AOS.

It might be doable, but there's every chance it won't work. I honestly wouldn't recommend trying.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think one of the potential problems is that the K1 visa is now attached to the beneficiary passport, ready and waiting to be seen at POE. It can't be removed, so it's just sort of hanging out there asking to be used.

The potential for complications is certainly there. The play-it-safe route would be to enter on the K1 that everybody expects you to be entering on and be done with it, keep it simple and straightforward.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Timeline

This has been done, but only for Canadians for some reason. It is totally up to the discretion of the CBP and may either make you enter with the K-1 or turn you around. BUT, if this is done once for you, it is unlikely it will be done again. Part of being granted this visa is no longer continuing to visit, but actually immigrating

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Unfortunately we were told some months back that they send you something separate from the visa, and you attach it when you're ready. And unfortunately, we just booked a honeymoon in the Dominican. Non-refundable.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unless the DR trip makes him go through the US and unless the DR trip is more than 6 months away...couldnt you guys enter on the K1 after the DR trip?

If you do try let me know as I was wondering the same thin gmyself IF we received mine befor eUS turkey weekend we were wanting to go visit for turkey but only have me enter on K1 in Jan...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My fiance was approved for the K-1 (YAY!), however, I am wondering, can he enter the US without using the visa? Can he hold off on using it for a trip or two?

Any help would be great. Thanks. :)

I take it you two are not ready to live together? I know my wife and I wanted to be together as soon as possible. Then again, she couldn't just go back and forth as you can. Myself included.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I take it you two are not ready to live together? I know my wife and I wanted to be together as soon as possible. Then again, she couldn't just go back and forth as you can. Myself included.

No, we do want to be together as soon as possible, it's just that we spent a lot of money booking a honeymoon, so I was hoping we could hold off on the visa until we returned from DR, at which point we'd go back, grab his belongings and move him in with me. :) <3

He called the Highgate Springs, VT, border office, and the official border officer reassured him it was completely ok, and that he was able to enter the country without using it, based on the B1 visa (? I think that's what it was called). He also emailed the US Consulate in Montreal about it. I'm just not sure what happens when we enter DR and they see it. I don't know how it works when you go into other countries, tbh. I've never used my passport for anything other than Canada.

And Hendea, yes -- that's what we want to do: enter on the K-1 after the trip, but the flight is out of Boston.

Edited by wallaby4rent

Timeline

You booked a honeymoon before the wedding? or is it after the wedding because he has to activate the k-1 to get married. If he doesnt activate the K-1 before you marry then you have to apply for a CR-1 all over again for him to move to america. K-1 is for a fiance(e) not a husband.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unfortunately we were told some months back that they send you something separate from the visa, and you attach it when you're ready. And unfortunately, we just booked a honeymoon in the Dominican. Non-refundable.

The honeymoon trip?

I am wondering if that was a smart thing to do...

Let us know how that works... Hopefully that won't completely mess up your K1 visa..

I don't know if I would have done that, but that's just me,,,

Can you postpone it, for lets say 12 months... for the K1, You do know you need to be married in the US don't you?

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
I'm just not sure what happens when we enter DR and they see it.

DR shouldn't care that you have a visa of any kind to the US. I think the only time it might be an issue is if you went to visit a US territory so it should be fine. A quick call to the DR consulate (or better an email so you have a paper trail) would give you a definate answer.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, we do want to be together as soon as possible, it's just that we spent a lot of money booking a honeymoon, so I was hoping we could hold off on the visa until we returned from DR, at which point we'd go back, grab his belongings and move him in with me. :) <3

He called the Highgate Springs, VT, border office, and the official border officer reassured him it was completely ok, and that he was able to enter the country without using it, based on the B1 visa (? I think that's what it was called). He also emailed the US Consulate in Montreal about it. I'm just not sure what happens when we enter DR and they see it. I don't know how it works when you go into other countries, tbh. I've never used my passport for anything other than Canada.

And Hendea, yes -- that's what we want to do: enter on the K-1 after the trip, but the flight is out of Boston.

Just to make sure we have this right:

-your fiance will fly to boston

-You will then fly to DR (beautiful place for a honeymoon btw)

-You'll fly back to the USA and activate the K1

-Then you'll get married

Sounds like a solid plan. I have heard of people going across the border without activating the K1. As long as the CBP agent knows this then you should be fine. I might not mention it to the CBP agent that it was your honeymoon trip. Maybe make it your reunion trip as honeymoon definitely sounds like you already got married which would invalidate the K1.

Have fun and hope it works out ok

2007-11-10 Met on an airplane on the way to Japan

2008-03-28 First actual date!

2009-03-31 Returned from Japan

K1 Timeline

2009-08-22 Filed K1

2009-09-01 NOA1

2009-09-29 NOA2

2009-10-23 Montreal Received

2009-11-08 Packet 3 Sent

2010-02-02 Packet 4 Received

2010-03-19 Interview

Interview Result :Admin Review-missing papers

2010-06-24 Visa in Hand.. FINALLY!!!

2010-06-25 US Entry

2010-07-02 MARRIED!

2010-07-13 Applied for SSN

2010-08-03 SSN received

AOS Timeline

2010-08-16 I485 sent to chicago lockbox

2010-08-24 NOA1 received

2010-09-17 Case transferred to CSC

2010-10-23 Bio appt letter received for nov 9th

2010-11-03 Biometrics appt. EAD card issued

Just to make sure we have this right:

-your fiance will fly to boston

-You will then fly to DR (beautiful place for a honeymoon btw)

-You'll fly back to the USA and activate the K1

-Then you'll get married

Sounds like a solid plan. I have heard of people going across the border without activating the K1. As long as the CBP agent knows this then you should be fine. I might not mention it to the CBP agent that it was your honeymoon trip. Maybe make it your reunion trip as honeymoon definitely sounds like you already got married which would invalidate the K1.

Have fun and hope it works out ok

Just as a quick run-down to answer everyone's questions:

Kennym, yes I do know we have to get married here. Our wedding is in NH.

Inky, the honeymoon is after the wedding. Our wedding is September 3, we had booked the honeymoon for Sept 5.

Long story short - Because of all of the hangups we were having with processing time (US being busy), we accepted the fact back in April (after getting a letter from the Consulate in Montreal saying it'd be another 4-6 months before my fiance's interview) that we would probably not be able to get legally married at our wedding, so it'd be a pomp-and-circumstance party. We would just have to wait until after he got the visa to have a legal, officiated ceremony.

The plans was

-Fiance drives to MA

- "Wedding"

- Leave for DR

- Fly back to Boston

- Fiance drives home, grabs his stuff

- Fiance enters on K-1

- Get married

After finding out the visa is *affixed* to your passport, I accepted all of this as impossible, and honestly, I still don't know if trust that he will be able to enter the US after the DR trip without a problem. Booking the honeymoon was a mistake, however, we thought we were clear on all of the terms. One of the most frustrating things about this whole process is that you can get contradictory information even from official sources.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Guys, I would give this serious thought.. You could jeopardize a lot..

As you realize this was a mistake to make these kinds of plans prior to the visa issuance, I would just re-iterate to anyone else doing the same thing, to not commit to any plans until after the visa is issued..

Good luck...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just as a quick run-down to answer everyone's questions:

Kennym, yes I do know we have to get married here. Our wedding is in NH.

Inky, the honeymoon is after the wedding. Our wedding is September 3, we had booked the honeymoon for Sept 5.

Long story short - Because of all of the hangups we were having with processing time (US being busy), we accepted the fact back in April (after getting a letter from the Consulate in Montreal saying it'd be another 4-6 months before my fiance's interview) that we would probably not be able to get legally married at our wedding, so it'd be a pomp-and-circumstance party. We would just have to wait until after he got the visa to have a legal, officiated ceremony.

The plans was

-Fiance drives to MA

- "Wedding"

- Leave for DR

- Fly back to Boston

- Fiance drives home, grabs his stuff

- Fiance enters on K-1

- Get married

After finding out the visa is *affixed* to your passport, I accepted all of this as impossible, and honestly, I still don't know if trust that he will be able to enter the US after the DR trip without a problem. Booking the honeymoon was a mistake, however, we thought we were clear on all of the terms. One of the most frustrating things about this whole process is that you can get contradictory information even from official sources.

NO!!!!!

Is the font big enough? :blush:

The K1 is invalid once you are married! You can't marry, leave the US, and then return with a K1 visa. You MUST BE LEGALLY FREE TO MARRY WHEN YOU ENTER WITH THE K1!

Sorry, there is no way your plan can work. :no:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.