13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello!!!

I guess a lot of people had this wonder or problem before.

I'm a K1 visa holder and I will be moving to USA. Me and my fiance will be living in his parents place for some months but we have plans to move within same state and not too far from his parents city.

My question is the following: when we start with the AOS we will be living at his parents but during the process of AOS we are planning to move. Thinking logical I guess that it should be reported (the change of address) but i don't know if it actually represents a huge problem for the AOS or could jeopardize it somehow... I mean his parents will be living in the same addy...isn't that a complete strangers are living there...

My fiance told me that he read somewhere that moving during the AOS is one of the big mistakes and after 2.5 years waiting for living together of course we want that everything goes smooth.

Please if someone knows bring some light to my wonder.

Thank you in advance!!! :)

God bless :) :) :)

Yes, moving during the process has posed a major stumbling block for other couples due to important mail not being received. Best practice (not the ONLY way) is to move before the process or move after the process if possible.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All non us-citizens by law have to report change of address within 10 days of moving.

US citizens arent required to but are asked to report the change of address as well if they are co-sponcer or petitioner.

The USCIS website details how to change your address if you have a pending case, its very easy and simple. 1 online form and one paper form to be mailed in. 2 weeks later you get a confirmation letter in the mail of your address change.

My husband and I had to do this, im sure alot of people move during, before, after etc all through out the process. Cant expect someone to stay in the same spot all their life! specially if they live with parents and want to move out to their own place when they can aford it.

USCIS CHange of Address Website link please click

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

So...can it actually be a problem or a delay for the AOS even if we send all the required forms and do the required calls? I'm reading some cases on the internet and for some of them moving even they sent forms etc was a big deal etc.

Another additional question and just wondering...If i start college and my GC has not been issued yet (I'm talking about 8.5 or 9 months after filling for AOS...would i have to report it somewhere or it isn't a problem at all?

Thanks again

Timeline

Check if you can even start college without your green card, all states have different rules and colleges have different rules as well. Im having trouble starting college even with my green card because of stupid state rules. They want to charge 3x the course cost because im not considered a resident of the state yet even tho I live here and all this other #######. If i didn't have my green card they wouldnt allow me to apply at most of the colleges in the state.

I dont know if it would mess up your AOS, ours was smooth nothing happend we got a letter about 2 weeks after we sent the online and paper form in for address change and wev had no problems since. We used the forwarding mail service with USPS as well to make sure we got all our stuff in the mail even with the address change. It cost 1$ to have our mail forwarded for 3 weeks to our new address.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Check if you can even start college without your green card, all states have different rules and colleges have different rules as well. Im having trouble starting college even with my green card because of stupid state rules. They want to charge 3x the course cost because im not considered a resident of the state yet even tho I live here and all this other #######. If i didn't have my green card they wouldnt allow me to apply at most of the colleges in the state.

I dont know if it would mess up your AOS, ours was smooth nothing happend we got a letter about 2 weeks after we sent the online and paper form in for address change and wev had no problems since. We used the forwarding mail service with USPS as well to make sure we got all our stuff in the mail even with the address change. It cost 1$ to have our mail forwarded for 3 weeks to our new address.

Really? I looked at what Arizona uses to consider you a resident, and it turns out that if your *spouse* qualifies as a resident, you do too. Have you looked into that?

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Really? I looked at what Arizona uses to consider you a resident, and it turns out that if your *spouse* qualifies as a resident, you do too. Have you looked into that?

Not here, I looked into it pretty closely and its pretty dumb! The schools also require you to use an internet company that "translates" all your school documents and you need to have them translated all the way back to your last highschool year. Which is retarded because this company charges a butt load to do it AND when I asked the collages if you are accepted after that they said NO you still have to apply and be accepted by the school. SO! if you arent accepted after you pay all this money to have your courses checked over you waisted around 1,000$ for course "translation" plus the cost of applying to the college. Thats just coming from canada... and the school system isnt even that different! I cant even register to vote cus im not considered a resident yet. We own a house here, I have my state driver license and an SSN, my name is on the deed to the house as well as the mortgage and the utilitys but im not a resident here lol.

have to edit because i do have my green card too lol so I am a LPR as well!

Edited by Inky

Timeline

Wow Inky...yeah that's crazy...what i did to avoid having a company translating my highschool documents is make my highschool translate them and then they will send them to the college i intend to go.

Regarding college transcripts yeah...it has to be yes or yes through WES or similars and anyway, after paying mad money there's the possibility that WES doesn't give u the credentials.

Whatever...the life of the immigrant never was easy. Best luck to all of us! And lots of patience

I moved and have so far still received mail.

AOS filed: 07/01/2010

AOS received: 07/06/2010

NOA1 via text: 07/13/2010

NOA1 in mail: 07/16/2010

Touched: 07/16/2010

Biometrics letter: 07/19/2010

Biometrics appointment: 08/04/2010

Touched I-485, EAD: 08/05/2010

Transfer to CSC: 08/05/2010

Touched I-485: 08/06/2010

Touched: 08/10/2010

Touched I-485: 08/12/2010

Touched I-485: 08/14/2010

Touched I-485: 08/23/2010

Touched I-485: 08/24/2010

EAD approved: 09/02/2010

AP approved: 09/07/2010

Received EAD/AP: approx 09/09/2010 (was out of town)

Touch: 09/24/10

I-485 approved: 10/14/2010

GC production ordered: 10/18/2010

GC received: 10/23/2010

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I moved and have so far still received mail.

Hi H1a1, I might also be moving while my AOS is pending, I just filed it 2 weeks ago and I have not received any notification yet. We might move in December... Could you please let me know how you dealt with the moving notifications? Did you complete the 2 documents required for USCIS? Did this cause any significant delay in your application?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi H1a1, I might also be moving while my AOS is pending, I just filed it 2 weeks ago and I have not received any notification yet. We might move in December... Could you please let me know how you dealt with the moving notifications? Did you complete the 2 documents required for USCIS? Did this cause any significant delay in your application?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I did the change of address for myself online. And my husband mailed in his change of address. I don't think it delayed my application by very much. Perhaps 3 or 4 days delay because my EAD was approved about 4 days after other people with similar timelines to me. That could be purely coincidence. I've received USCIS mail at my new address. I anticipate receiving my EAD in the mail sometime next week so that should show if there are any issues.

We changed address a couple of days after I did my biometrics.

Just thought I'd update to say that I did receive my EAD and AP (with no problems) this week. We hear lots of scare stories here at VJ but it is possible to change your address with USCIS in the middle of the AOS process and have no issues receiving important documents from them. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As stated it is ENTIRELY possible to change address during the process but just as some people have no issues, some people do, and so the qn becomes "how would you feel if you're in the minority that has issues?".

That said, as family will be living at the original address, if the address change didn't go through properly you would at least still have access to your mail, as you stated, not as if strangers would get it.

So change your address during the process, remember to file the AR-11 (both paper and electronic if a case is active) and you will most likely be okay, just warn the family that you MIGHT get mail there and if you do, that they need to tell you ASAP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.