Icke

Citizenship Certificate not given

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi. My wife went to Atlanta last week for her oath ceremony.

She was not given her certificate of citizenship. We were told to wait after the ceremony and it would be ready. After 2 hours of waiting, the supervisors left and then the workers came out and said that they lost her certificate.

They said that they would mail it to us. We foolishly did not get her green card.

So now my wife doesn't have any proof that she is a citizen or in the country legally.

Where to start? The USCIS telephone number, 1 800 375 5283, or our congressman's office?

What a mess...and did they really lose her certificate?

She was not given her certificate of citizenship. We were told to wait after the ceremony and it would be ready. After 2 hours of waiting, the supervisors left and then the workers came out and said that they lost her certificate.

They said that they would mail it to us. We foolishly did not get her green card.

So now my wife doesn't have any proof that she is a citizen or in the country legally.

Where to start? The USCIS telephone number, 1 800 375 5283, or our congressman's office?

Back to the very same office where she interviewed and demand to get her certificate.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Did she ever receive Oath ceremony letter? So you can claim with that & call state department where the passport service are, you can might get her US passport.

I hope this info will help

B.B.

US CITIZENSHIP

12-20-2012: SENT N-400 APPLICATION

12-21-2012: RECEIVED N-400 APPLICATION

12-27-2012: CHECK CASHED

12-28-2012: NOA RECEIVED

01-08-2013: BIO-METRIC COMPLETED

01-14-2013: INTERVIEW IN LINE FOR SCHEDULED

04-10-2013: INTERVIEW SCHEDULE AT 7:30 AM, TAMPA OFFICE...APPROVED:)))

04-23-2013: OATH CEREMONY AT TAMPA 1 PM...FINALLY USC.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Did she ever receive Oath ceremony letter? So you can claim with that & call state department where the passport service are, you can might get her US passport.

No way in a month of Sundays is that going to fly, otherwise we would all be knocking out oath letters on our computers.

InfoPass appointment at the office where she was interviewed is the place to start. See what they have to say and take it from there.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Go to Congressman offices now and get on it with their help. That certificate will suddenly appear once that Congressman gets involved. Unreal how inept they are at USCIS in Atlanta! :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

and just when I thought I had heard it all....

I bet the bloody judge dies during my ceremony.

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Icke-Sorry to hear that this situation happened to your wife.. :blink:

Scary, indeed!....

Yet another reason to say how incompetent the USCIS is......I can't believe they "lost" a certificate!

Lol..Yet another reason too, why they shouldn't have large group ceremonies....Paperwork gets lost along the way....

If I were you and your wife, I would definitely demand that they give her her certificate, which is rightfully hers, as she paid for such, and did go through the oath ceremony...And yes, is officially a US Citizen....

Do not accept anything by mail...As the USCIS and the USPS can lose things this way....

As others have mentioned....

Don't bother with the mis-information line (1-800 number) as they are probably of no help to you there since they are a separate call centre, and don't actually have your certificate...Instead.....

First start off with an infopass at your local USCIS office and see if they are able to get the certificate back....

If that doesn't work...Then yes, go through your political representative (senator, congressman, etc...) and see if you can further inquire about such about your lost certificate...

Hope your wife gets her ceritifcate soon. And good luck with the rest of her journey as a US Citizen...

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

And now you see why I have little confidence in USCIS and getting passport done quickly. I am sure there will be some delay or something as always with USCIS, they literally drive a person to tears twisting you all over the place in the wind like a rag doll! :unsure:

and just when I thought I had heard it all....

I bet the bloody judge dies during my ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We were instructed to carefully read our certificate and report any errors immediately so the field office could correct them on the spot. An advantage of having your oath ceremony at the field office.

Very first thing you do is to turn in your green card and oath letter. OP is not giving any details on the time nor place of their oath ceremony, how far from the field office? But took their word it would be mailed out. And do they have that spare photograph? Perhaps a visit to their field office afterwards was in order and taking the word of a worker.

This has got to be a first for this incident. Something else to be prepared for, was confused about bringing all of your immigration papers with you on the oath letter, so tossed our brief case with everything in it including extra photos, but for us, that stayed in the car.

Filed: Other Timeline

And now you see why I have little confidence in USCIS and getting passport done quickly. I am sure there will be some delay or something as always with USCIS, they literally drive a person to tears twisting you all over the place in the wind like a rag doll! :unsure:

Lol...Which is one of the reasons why I am not getting a US passport yet.....

I can't trust that the USCIS/DHS will get the job done quickly and/or without any errors...

Oh and throw USPS in the mix...

Yeah, documents are bound to get lost/misplaced/stolen...

Lol..At times like this, maybe one is better off being a permanent resident instead of a citizen...

Then again, maybe not...lol....

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.