7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Where it asks the name of spouse (for instance I-485 section B) do I have to write my spouse's maiden name or her name now after marrying me? Please note that my spouse is the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Where it asks the name of spouse (for instance I-485 section B) do I have to write my spouse's maiden name or her name now after marrying me? Please note that my spouse is the USC.

A lot of people ask this qn and the answer is this. What is your wife's name at the time of filing? It's not asking for her maiden name, it's asking for her NAME. Not her name from birth if she's since changed it, not from her 2nd or 3rd marriages (not saying she has them), it's asking for her name NOW.

Timeline

A lot of people ask this qn and the answer is this. What is your wife's name at the time of filing? It's not asking for her maiden name, it's asking for her NAME. Not her name from birth if she's since changed it, not from her 2nd or 3rd marriages (not saying she has them), it's asking for her name NOW.

It makes sense. I had this doubt because in some other forms they do want the wife's maiden name (i.e. g325) and I was wondering if I should keep everything the same in order to make it clear even to the dumbest person that she's always the same person. but in the end I don't think it will change much, because she simply added my last name.

Timeline
It makes sense. I had this doubt because in some other forms they do want the wife's maiden name (i.e. g325) and I was wondering if I should keep everything the same in order to make it clear even to the dumbest person that she's always the same person. but in the end I don't think it will change much, because she simply added my last name.

If it says "maiden name" or previous names then yes, write her maiden name. But if it asks for her NAME, then that's her married name (if she's changed it)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am the US citizen and had the same situation. I kept my maiden name as a middle name and added my husband's last name to mine. I filed the AOS paperwork with my new complete name without a problem. I think the only place you put your maiden name is the place that asks for previous names used. Good luck with your AOS!

event.png

Timeline

I am the US citizen and had the same situation. I kept my maiden name as a middle name and added my husband's last name to mine. I filed the AOS paperwork with my new complete name without a problem. I think the only place you put your maiden name is the place that asks for previous names used. Good luck with your AOS!

same here, she got my last name and kept her maiden name as middle name. thank you for your reply, we are sending out the package next week, I hope everything will go smooth and easy.

Timeline

A word of warning --- unless your marriage certificate has a place for you to write your entire new name (like the example here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/217995-name-change-after-filing-for-aos-ead-ap/page__view__findpost__p__3822559 ) then the maiden name as a middle name is NOT a legal name change and you will find you have issues down the line.

There was a post a couple of months ago where a girl did what you have done and applied for naturalisation. They asked her for her legal name change document which she though was her marriage certificate but didn't realise it is ONLY a change of SURNAME that a marriage certificate allows unless like in the example above. She was forced to reapply for naturalisation i believe because all her paperwork had this "fake" name she'd been using on it (including her drivers licence, SSN, GC.. etc.. she needed to change it all or get a court order to make the fake name her real name). She thought it was okay because she'd ROC'd with it, but when the time came to naturalise they discovered it wasn't legal. You can change your name at naturalisation, they'll do the court order for you, and I believe she tried that but because all the documents were considered "fake" she needed to fix them herself first THEN reapply.

So, moral of the story, check your marriage certificate, and check the laws in your state to see whether your marriage certificate permits a change of middle name. Though I doubt it unless it's like my example above. Typically a marriage certificate will only allow you to either hypenate your two names, keep your maiden name, or change your last name to his, anything else requires a court order.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.