US_SL

Why K-1 and not K-3 / Why getting married in US instead here

30 posts in this topic

Hello:

What would be THE PERFECT ANSWER FOR "Why K-1 and why not K-3"?

Also for "why not getting married here instead is US"?

Does any of you know how the consulate in Colombo, Sri Lanka handles their interview for K-1? I found out that in 2009 US embassy in colombo issued only 18 K-1 visas. So, i am thinking this grilling part of teh interview is much less likely. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello:

Does any of you know how the consulate in Colombo, Sri Lanka handles their interview for K-1? I found out that in 2009 US embassy in colombo issued only 18 K-1 visas. So, i am thinking this grilling part of the interview is much less likely. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Be very CAREFUL when answering that particular question. It's a tricky question used by CO's to see if any answer you give them can be used to deny the K1 visa. Here is MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (I am the USC and I was at the interview):

CO: Why did you apply for a K1? Why didn't you get married here and then apply for a K3 or a CR/1?

Me: Well, I have kids that he never met. We wanted him to come over first and meet my kids as my fiance first and then once the ice was broken, we would get married.

Fast forward to the end: His K1 visa application was denied. Based on my answer. They interpreted my answer to mean that I just wanted to "understudy" him first and that I "needed" my kids approval to get married. That I had no serious intentions of marrying him. That my intentions were based on external events that had to meet with my approval first.

In retrospect (20/20 hindsight), what I SHOULD have said was this:

CO: Why did you apply for a K1? Why didn't you get married here and then apply for a K3 or a CR/1?

Me: I want my whole family, which is very large, to be at our wedding.

This answer would NOT have given them any chance to misconstrue.

You get my point here???

Good luck to you.

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

Hello:

Does any of you know how the consulate in Colombo, Sri Lanka handles their interview for K-1? I found out that in 2009 US embassy in colombo issued only 18 K-1 visas. So, i am thinking this grilling part of teh interview is much less likely. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Thanks. But in your case you ahd kids and you like all of them to eb in your wedding. But in my case we are not planning to have a wedding there at this time perhaps after two years later may be. WE both have married earlier and divorced,. so i was thinking that if she says that since we both ahd big weddings but to two wrong people after spending so much money and time we both ended up distrously. May be she can say that since our first marriages went to trash we rather get marry in a civil ceremony and have a party later after two years. What you think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks. But in your case you ahd kids and you like all of them to eb in your wedding. But in my case we are not planning to have a wedding there at this time perhaps after two years later may be. WE both have married earlier and divorced,. so i was thinking that if she says that since we both ahd big weddings but to two wrong people after spending so much money and time we both ended up distrously. May be she can say that since our first marriages went to trash we rather get marry in a civil ceremony and have a party later after two years. What you think?

You're missing my point. My point is: say WHATEVER you want. Just keep it simple and DON'T say anthing that they might misunderstand and use AGAINST you.

by the way, your answer above might be a bit too confusing for the CO and way too much information. It doesn't address the real reason for wanted to get married here and not there. Just KEEP IT SIMPLE.

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

Thanks. Perhaps saying that "It's his idea that he wanted to get married in US as his divorce was a big blow for him considering the frineds and relatves attended his big wedding 7 yesr ago" What you think?

as an outsider when you hear this, would you feel that that would be right answer?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello:

Thanks

Make your life plan first and then pursue the immigration path that matches it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks. Perhaps saying that "It's his idea that he wanted to get married in US as his divorce was a big blow for him considering the frineds and relatves attended his big wedding 7 yesr ago" What you think?

as an outsider when you hear this, would you feel that that would be right answer?

To me, that does not make sense- if he had a big wedding that went badly, why would he want another in the USA? Why not a quiet wedding in your home country?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Make your life plan first and then pursue the immigration path that matches it.

Thanks. Great insight! My way of thinking. But it's just that i hate getting married there. My plan is to have a non-religous ceremony here with few friends and my aunt and uncle and then have a party there when we visit together.

To me, that does not make sense- if he had a big wedding that went badly, why would he want another in the USA? Why not a quiet wedding in your home country?

Very good point! So, what would i do? I just hate getting married in sri lanka and just wondering whether she can say as since i am a US Citizen i would like to get married here! What you think?

Hello,

Can anyone answer teh following question to if you have been asked the consulate and got thru:

"Why not getting married here and why you going to get married in US?"

Thanks all

Is this a question that everyone gets asked, or is it just at certain consulates? Because I honestly don't know how to answer such a question...it'd be like explaining why I put the left shoe on first instead of the right.

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent :------------------2010-07-28

I-129F NOA1 :----------------2010-08-05

Transferred to CSC:--------2010-08-10

I-129F NOA2 :----------------2011-01-04

NVC Left :----------------------2011-01-19

Consulate Received :------2011-01-25

Packet 3 Received :---------2011-01-27

Packet 3 Sent :---------------2011-01-27

Packet 4 Received :---------2011-02-17

Interview Date :---------------2011-02-24

Visa Received :---------------2011-03-07

Flight: March 10th 2011!

Married: March 22nd 2011!

AOS

AOS Packet sent :------------2011-04-28

NOA1 :---------------------------2011-05-04

I-485 RFE :---------------------2011-05-16

Biometrics letter : ------------2011-05-23

Biometrics Walk-In :---------2011-05-26

RFE Response :--------------2011-05-31

Transferred to CSC :--------2011-06-14

EAD Approved :---------------2011-06-24

AP Approved :-----------------2011-06-28

EAD / AP Received :--------2011-07-02

AOS Approved :---------------2011-08-04

Timeline

Thanks. Great insight! My way of thinking. But it's just that i hate getting married there. My plan is to have a non-religous ceremony here with few friends and my aunt and uncle and then have a party there when we visit together.

I think that is a good, and truthful, answer. You want to be together (hence visa now), but you want to wed quietly, then have time to plan a celebration in her home country later.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Is this a question that everyone gets asked, or is it just at certain consulates? Because I honestly don't know how to answer such a question...it'd be like explaining why I put the left shoe on first instead of the right.

I don't think everyone gets asked, but it is definitely a common question. Have a think about it... surely you and your fiance discussed the question of where to get married? Maybe you decided to get married in the USA and go for the K1 because you didn't want to be separated after being married, as would happen with a spousal visa app; maybe it's easier for family to go to the wedding in the USA. Maybe you have a church you want to get married in there....

mod penguin.jpg

I think that is a good, and truthful, answer. You want to be together (hence visa now), but you want to wed quietly, then have time to plan a celebration in her home country later.

I think this is the first time US congress like us to have a romance...This visa would give me 90 days and it will allow me to be with teh person prior to get married and that sounds very romanic to me. Don't you think that is teh best answer anyone can give?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Although I wasn't asked that question, I did have an answer - I had been asked that by friends already. I basically said that "it is hard enough being apart while we are engaged - but it would be horrible to have to live apart after we are married! If we got married here (in my country) I couldn't go and live with him as his wife until after the spousal paperwork was done, and that isn't the way we want to start our married life together - separated. We want to be able to stay together once we are married so that means a fiancee visa and getting married in the States."

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.