Mags

UK B!tches Unite!

670 posts in this topic

F*&^$%*&^(*^%*&$%$#@Q!#!#@$$&^%%(*&_)(*_)(*&*(&^%%^#$#%@!%$#%#^&%^)(*&)(*) it. :angry:

Seriously un-cheerful tonight.

That is all.

You're free to vent to us! Just let it all out.

I didn't think I'd need to use this thread, but here I am! Two things:

1) Tried to do walk-in biometrics today for my husband's AOS and got told NO! It wasn't even busy in there at all.

2) Went for lunch with my husband and afterwards found out I lost $60 in cash! My husband and I retraced all our steps but to no avail. Some lucky jerk probably picked it up and walked off. It's extra annoying because we're starting to feel the pain of not having an EAD, if you catch my drift.

:angry:

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Leenie

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

That sucks, Leenie. "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers", I hate that phrase!

I know this is probably inappropriate, but it's something that's going on in my head since earlier. The hospital called me and said that my pay rate will be $12 per hour, which is a little over 24K a year. She told me that she increased it because I have a degree and some experience (rather than a high school graduate which they were asking for) so that means they were going to pay lower for their wanted candidate. Which made me think... is it right that someone in medical research earns less than a Walmart employee? :unsure: My FIL just got hired at an archery retail store for $14 per hour. It's not a huge deal because their benefits package is very good, and I'm lucky to have a job in my field, but it was just something that made me question the logic of it all.

I know this is probably inappropriate, but it's something that's going on in my head since earlier. The hospital called me and said that my pay rate will be $12 per hour, which is a little over 24K a year. She told me that she increased it because I have a degree and some experience (rather than a high school graduate which they were asking for) so that means they were going to pay lower for their wanted candidate. Which made me think... is it right that someone in medical research earns less than a Walmart employee? :unsure: My FIL just got hired at an archery retail store for $14 per hour. It's not a huge deal because their benefits package is very good, and I'm lucky to have a job in my field, but it was just something that made me question the logic of it all.

I would probably question that "non" logic too. However, I think it's a great opportunity and for that alone it is sooooooo worth it.

Without mentioning company names...many years ago I got a job at a top finacial eerrmm guru type firm (trying so hard not to say who cos it would make the story so much better anway..). The pay was sh!te. I stayed there for about two years and then I went to an employment agency. I wasn't even asked how much I earned. They assumed that going by the name of the company and what they did I was earning a very good salary. Let's just say I didn't tell them any different lol. Basically the job I got through them was just over 10 grand more than the ####### job I was in at the time.

All this to say that it's a real good stepping stone....

@Leenie - I know exactly what you mean about things being "tight" right now so I can imagine that losing the money was annoying to say the least

I don't know if that's right, but do want to add in my two cents:

a) You're right about the benefits - you may be surprised much it costs an employer just to provide basic health insurance to employees. Many thousands of dollars!

b) You will definitely have the option to negotiate your salary sooner or later. I'd say at your first performance review, if they don't offer an increase, then it is perfectly normal for you to ask about the possibility of a raise. Especially if you've done very well. (You might even be able to find a good book on negotiating your salary at the local library. I know they are out there.)

I can't believe it, but I have another b!tch! I took our car in for an oil change yesterday and found out we need new tires! All four of them have significant dry rot! I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had a problem with the tires since the car haven't had new ones since it was manufactured, but still ... wahhhh :crying:

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

Yeah I think I was just being an ungrateful b1tch because the other research positions I had applied for were offering around 26-32K. I am very happy to have those awesome benefits though. And you're right, I am saving hundreds every month in insurance. We also just picked up car insurance for us both for $167 a month. I highly recommend Geico, they give great discounts. I'm just in a b1tchy mood today because I haven't managed to go out on my own yet even though I've had my license for a week because of a trail of inconveniences, and I'm starting to get anxious about driving around Providence in the new job with so little experience. :P

Argh, sorry to hear about the car, all four tires as well! If it makes you feel any better, they will probably last a nice long time afterwards but it's the last thing you need when you're EADing it - or waiting to EAD it.

My guess is that your FIL gets more money than you because he's much older and made more at his last job. Once you get into your new job and get the experience, I'm sure more opportunities and better money will come your way.

90day.jpg

I'm just in a b1tchy mood today because I haven't managed to go out on my own yet even though I've had my license for a week because of a trail of inconveniences, and I'm starting to get anxious about driving around Providence in the new job with so little experience. :P

I hope you can get out there soon! I have to say, nothing made me a more confident driver than tons and tons of practice AFTER getting my license. Go figure!

My guess is that your FIL gets more money than you because he's much older and made more at his last job. Once you get into your new job and get the experience, I'm sure more opportunities and better money will come your way.

For sure.

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think everyone has That Job at some point or another. I took a job right out of university with a firm that paid less than other offers purely because of the reputation. It was a miserable 18 months, but It looked good on my resume at the time. Everyone has to pay their dues at some point. It's better to do it early on when you can still go out on a wednesday night and have a dozen pints and still manage to get up in the morning and go to work fully functioning.

After 6 months of fruitless job hunting my sister is getting offered a job at about 1/2 the salary I started at. We both have Bachelor of Science degrees, though in different fields. Anyway, I think they must know that she won't stay any longer than it takes her to find a job that will pay her what she's worth.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I graduated with my Masters just under two years ago and have had some nice jobs over the years. After almost a year of looking, I finally was offered a job, so I took it. Even with all my experience and degrees, it's only entry level and the money is sh!te, but the benefits are amazing. This year I had almost two weeks vacation, even though I started in mid-june, and next year I will have over 4 weeks worth of paid time off. The health insurance is fab, as are the retirement benefits, so I guess it balances. Also, because the money is so crappy, I have a second job which pays almost twice per hour what my full-time job pays. But, there are absolutely no benefits. So even if I left my full time job to do the other job more hours, I would probably still end up with less in the long run.

Basically, even though you are making less per hour than your FIL, the other things you get from having full-time employment probably make your job a better gig.

Congrats again! I'm so happy for you that you guys will finally get out on your own!

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Its been a tough road for me after losing my consulting job. Been doing piecemeal contract work since April but recently found contract to hire with a major company who does work for the DOD, and a public trust clearance to boot. Pay isn't great either but inching slowly back up. And of course the famous Washington DC metro area commute is fun every day. I have a masters degree in science (geology) but it isn't the right field to be looking for work. IT has more opportunities.

Speaking of tire, I'm gonna need at least 2 soon, plus rear brakes. Joy.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

That's my b!tch. Car repairs!!! What I drive seems to be part of the recall so I might need to take time off work for that. On top of that, my tires are getting low on tread and this is the first time I've replaced tires on a SUV. Holy $$! I can't decide if I want to get rid of this truck and buy another inexpensive vehicle in my husband's name to help build his credit, or just replace the tires and keep going.

Either way, I should feel lucky that it's just tires and not a huge repair like the engine or transmission. I'm paying off some huge medical bills while finishing my degree. I'll be watching every penny for another couple years.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I think everyone has That Job at some point or another. I took a job right out of university with a firm that paid less than other offers purely because of the reputation. It was a miserable 18 months, but It looked good on my resume at the time. Everyone has to pay their dues at some point. It's better to do it early on when you can still go out on a wednesday night and have a dozen pints and still manage to get up in the morning and go to work fully functioning.

ITA. I got that " Hey I graduated-bring the cushy job and moola' pummeled out real quick and in a hurry after my first job.....but.....it's done now and looks good on the resume :)

Its been a tough road for me after losing my consulting job. Been doing piecemeal contract work since April but recently found contract to hire with a major company who does work for the DOD, and a public trust clearance to boot. Pay isn't great either but inching slowly back up. And of course the famous Washington DC metro area commute is fun every day. I have a masters degree in science (geology) but it isn't the right field to be looking for work. IT has more opportunities.

One of my degrees is Geology :) I combine it with climatology and meterology.

As a Geology post graduate, have you looked at the oil companies? last i looked ( ok, ages ago) they were in need of higher degreed geologists and the pay was sweet looking.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

That's my b!tch. Car repairs!!! What I drive seems to be part of the recall so I might need to take time off work for that. On top of that, my tires are getting low on tread and this is the first time I've replaced tires on a SUV. Holy $$! I can't decide if I want to get rid of this truck and buy another inexpensive vehicle in my husband's name to help build his credit, or just replace the tires and keep going.

Either way, I should feel lucky that it's just tires and not a huge repair like the engine or transmission. I'm paying off some huge medical bills while finishing my degree. I'll be watching every penny for another couple years.

I have a problem with tyres, too.

Living where I do, permanent 4WD is kind of a good thing to have, with one glaring exception. When it comes to tyre replacement for wear, it really is all or nothing. And right now I need the "all" option for the family hauler (or The Big Red Bus, as it is better known), because snow is on its way and the traction control works best if there is some semblance of traction in the first place.

:(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.