133 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Small rant attached...

There seems to be a certain amount of trolling going on involving the UK forums to the point where nearly every thread, including threads that ARE viable and helpful to others are being shut down because of a few members who consistently harass people.

So, I have a few questions...

Why are these threads being removed instead of warnings going out to the violators of the thread?

Why is an entire thread full of potentially GOOD information being wisked away to lala land because of few people who are allowed to run rampant on that forum instead of the "offenders" being "punished"?

Why are the threads completely gone instead of just removing the offending posts and removing non-relevant information? Is there not a rule in place that keeps people from posting the same harassing junk if their posts are removed?

What makes a thread get locked versus removed?

I realize the moderators on these forums do this work on a volunteer basis, and obviously they cannot be everywhere at once, but for crying out loud, this is getting absolutely out of hand and beyond absurd. EVERYONE should not be punished by losing information because a few people are being trolls...

Edited by Rob and Jill

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Oooh, this sounds interesting. Care to post a summary of sorts?

What's with all the attacks, and reports and bans and violations and lock-downs and invisibilizings--this is the interwebz for *ucks sake! Why do people take it so effin' seriously!?

While we are on the subject of rants, here's mine for the day --

Frankly, I also find VJ becoming a lot more mamby-pamby lately. I've started avoiding the upper forums mostly because it is now crawling with testy, aggressive noobs without a sense of humor. I remember when I first started posting here, and god knows, I have had my share of noobs threads--I mean I was ready to neck myself over the I864 but I was so grateful for any nugget of information, any helpful suggestion or tip that I was happy if even one poster responded. Not like the noobs nowadays who will actively ignore your experienced suggestions and continue to demand only answers that they want to hear, attack you for suggesting or posting something that might not have been asked for yet but you know, will come up soon. Oh and don't get me started on the SO's who will jump in to defend their beloved's honor time and time again. I've had PMs from random noob members calling me 'self-righteous' and 'critical' and 'judgemental' in response to posts I've made to (different) OPs. Had absolutely nothing to do with them. Nada. Frankly, I couldn't care less about the fact that they've 'lost all respect for me' but I just can't figure out where they find the time to PM me to write lengthy posts in order to inform me, that they were, from now on, going to ignore me.

How does that even make sense? Would you call someone to tell them that they were now on your ignore-list? #######.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Oooh, this sounds interesting. Care to post a summary of sorts?

What's with all the attacks, and reports and bans and violations and lock-downs and invisibilizings--this is the interwebz for *ucks sake! Why do people take it so seriously!?

While we are on the subject of rants--

Frankly, I also find VJ becoming more mamby-pamby lately. I've started avoiding the upper forums mostly because it is now crawling with testy, aggressive noobs without a sense of humor. I remember when I first started posting here, and god knows, I have had my share of noobs threads--I mean I was ready to neck myself over the I864 but I was so grateful for any nugget of information, any helpful suggestion or tip that I was happy if even one poster responded. Not like the noobs nowadays who will actively ignore your experienced suggestions and continue to demand only answers that they want to hear, attack you for suggesting or posting something that might not have been asked for yet but you know, will come up soon. Oh and don't get me started on the SO's who will jump in to defend their beloved's honor time and time again. I've had PMs from random noob members calling me 'self-righteous' and 'critical' and 'judgemental' in response to posts I've made to (different) OPs. Had absolutely nothing to do with them. Nada. Frankly, I couldn't care less but I just can't figure out where they find the time to PM me to write lengthy posts in order to inform me, that they were, from now on, going to ignore me.

How does that even make sense? Would you call someone to tell them that they were now on your ignore-list? #######.

I think I'm falling in love with you a little, sachinky, and I'm most definitely straight. :wub:

I'm not going to post a summary since it might be a TOS violation (restarting a thread). Suffice to say it was the classic noob v legacy members showdown. I'm outta the upper forums for the very reasons you state. Noobs who try to tell those of us who have literally seen it all and been through it all that their case is somehow Special and Unique and won't take any criticism (and round up squadrons of similarly situated noobs) stick in my craw. Yes, they ignore experience and go with conjecture of people who have only read about what happens next. (And I wish I'd known you were having problems with the I-864 -- one of my specialties!)

And yeah, the UK forum is not an effing buttercups and daisies place at the moment, but who gives a flying fig? If people can't take a little criticism here and there when it is well-meant and constructive they should get off the internet.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I'm honestly disappointed sometimes with how aggressive some posts are. VJ is like a huge family...We all have our different personalities or traits that make us at times lovable, at times annoying...but we need to keep showing respect. I read posts where people get so rude to fellow visajourners that cannot write "properly" in English... Come on people, we come from such different backgrounds, from all over the world; instead of appreciating those who make an effort to express themselves in a foreign language (and not all of them had the chance to study abroad to improve their skills), some prefer to pick on them because of their English instead of actually trying to help...

I somehow agree to all the posts in this thread. Man, some can surely whine :blink: ; I do my best to support them, but if they don't want to get out of that state of mind...I let them be. Same with ones who ask for advice, but would never take it unless it's something they wanted to hear...let them be. Give people the dignity to make their own choices (from the ocean of advice) and live with the consequences. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...but, at the end of the day, it's their lives, their choices... :innocent:

Hugs from Romania... and wishes for smooth journeys to everyone! :thumbs:

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

As you all know, when a thread gets too far off track, and the insults and TOS violations start flying - sometimes a thread does get shut down. If you disagree with a lock, or removal of information you can request that it be reopened.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As you all know, when a thread gets too far off track, and the insults and TOS violations start flying - sometimes a thread does get shut down. If you disagree with a lock, or removal of information you can request that it be reopened.

Are you new here? :lol:

Seriously, threads NEVER get reopened.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I know you're pointing your finger at me, Jill, and that's fine.

No, actually, I am not. The only reason I even know what you said to me is because it came to my email. Your points are vaild although I do not agree. Your opinion and my opinion do not always have to match, and that is ok.

First of all, Jill, have you ever thought that maybe the info that the "trolls" are repeating is GOOD advice? Just because it isn't all hearts and flowers and what you want to hear doesn't make it wrong, nor does it make it "troll-like".

What they give is SENSIBLE information that I hope, one day, you'll be able to appreciate. The whole immigration process is one of the most stressful going and they have the benefit of experience. They've gone through it, they've realised their own mistakes and are now passing it on. Don't shoot it down just because it's not the virtual hug or molly-coddling that you desire.

Mags,

Have you ever heard the phrase that to assume makes an #### out of U and ME? (See the caps spell assume? XD)

I am talking about the people who ARE TROLLING. People who do nothing but wait on certain people to open threads so they can harass and insult them. I don't owe them an apology for calling a troll a troll, but I do feel like the ADMIN owes them a kick in the rear.

You are making the assumption that I am annoyed over the virtual smack downs that tend to go out, and that is not at all what I am annoyed over. While I do not feel people should be rude just "because they can" when the whole purpose is to help people out, there is a difference between being a jacka$$ and starting fights just for giggles and virtual "tough love".

Lately, there is more of the "just for giggles" variety going on.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview