9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone, I am now in the US! WE are getting married in a few weeks and I am preparing all the forms so I can send them ASAP after the wedding..

I have a question about the I-131 AP document, I didn't realise I had to say when I intended to travel. I don't have any plans at the moment as I have just arrived a couple weeks ago, I just thought I could have the AP in case I do want to visit my home country before I get my green card..

As the green card can apparently take ages to arrive, I'm sure I will want to visit my family in that time.

If I don't apply for it now with everything else, will I have to pay for it later?

I would file for it now with the application so that it is free. If you wait it costs to file. Just put unknown for the dates and for the explanation that you attach you can just put you might use it to visit family, but no trips are planned as of now.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi everyone, I am now in the US! WE are getting married in a few weeks and I am preparing all the forms so I can send them ASAP after the wedding..

I have a question about the I-131 AP document, I didn't realise I had to say when I intended to travel. I don't have any plans at the moment as I have just arrived a couple weeks ago, I just thought I could have the AP in case I do want to visit my home country before I get my green card..

As the green card can apparently take ages to arrive, I'm sure I will want to visit my family in that time.

If I don't apply for it now with everything else, will I have to pay for it later?

Just put a possible date of travel. The AP document is actually valid for a whole year, so the date you put on it really isn't all that relevant.

Also, my AP arrived only 2 weeks before my GC, so really, the whole thing was quite pointless. :whistle:

Doesn't hurt to apply though since it's free. ;)

08/22/06 - First entered USA on F-1

02/14/09 - Met The One

08/15/09 - Graduated with Masters degree

09/28/09 - Started OPT employment

01/15/10 - Engaged!

02/06/10 - Legally married (wedding not till 09/05/10)

05/04/10 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via Priority Mail

05/07/10 - Packet delivered to Chicago

05/11/10 - NOA1 via text and email

05/12/10 - Checks cashed

05/13/10 - NOA1 received in mail

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter in mail

06/08/10 - Scheduled Biometrics @ St Paul, MN office

06/25/10 - Interview letter received!

07/15/10 - EAD and AP approved

07/20/10 - AP received

07/26/10 - Scheduled interview - APPROVED!

07/29/10 - EAD and welcome letter received

08/09/10 - Green card received! :)

Just put a possible date of travel. The AP document is actually valid for a whole year, so the date you put on it really isn't all that relevant.

Also, my AP arrived only 2 weeks before my GC, so really, the whole thing was quite pointless. :whistle:

Doesn't hurt to apply though since it's free. ;)

If you put a date of travel and you do not actually intend to travel on that date you are lying on a government document. You shouldn't just make up a date.

England.gif England!

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would file for it now with the application so that it is free. If you wait it costs to file. Just put unknown for the dates and for the explanation that you attach you can just put you might use it to visit family, but no trips are planned as of now.

THERE IS NO NEED TO ATTACH AN EXPLANATION!! So many people say this but if you READ the instructions you will see that if you're filing for AOS at the same time then you don't attach anything. If you're applying based ON the AOS (but before it's finalised) you include the AOS NOA1.

I can guarantee this is fine firstly because I read the instructions, and secondly because I did it.

You do not need to attach any actual documents as proof such as an NOA1 obviously because you would not have it yet, but its does not say that you do not need to attach the explanation asked for in Part 7. Please share where it states that you do not need to attach the actual written explanation? If you look on Visa Journey's example forms there is even a specific supplement to follow for Part 7 when you are submitting concurrently with AOS.

I respect all of the work that you have put into showing others how to do the paperwork to file AOS, it was very helpful to say the least, but there is no need to use caps(effectively shouting) in every posting where you think that something someone said is different from what you did or what you think should be done.

England.gif England!

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

My only advice to the OP would be to try to consider when he may need to be available for biometrics and interview dates. You're much better off to reschedule your travel plans than to try to reschedule a USCIS appointment.

And in general it is only a matter of months processing time, which to me is not ages, but for some it may be. ;)

Edited by trillium13
24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I wouldn't consider it "lying" if you are putting an estimated date of travel. I put "approximately 2 weeks of travel in Dec 2010" and 12/15/10 as the date. I'm sure they know that people's travel plans change.. especially that far in advance. And nowhere on the AP document does it say anything about traveling on a specific date, just the time frame of a year.

08/22/06 - First entered USA on F-1

02/14/09 - Met The One

08/15/09 - Graduated with Masters degree

09/28/09 - Started OPT employment

01/15/10 - Engaged!

02/06/10 - Legally married (wedding not till 09/05/10)

05/04/10 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via Priority Mail

05/07/10 - Packet delivered to Chicago

05/11/10 - NOA1 via text and email

05/12/10 - Checks cashed

05/13/10 - NOA1 received in mail

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter in mail

06/08/10 - Scheduled Biometrics @ St Paul, MN office

06/25/10 - Interview letter received!

07/15/10 - EAD and AP approved

07/20/10 - AP received

07/26/10 - Scheduled interview - APPROVED!

07/29/10 - EAD and welcome letter received

08/09/10 - Green card received! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
You do not need to attach any actual documents as proof such as an NOA1 obviously because you would not have it yet, but its does not say that you do not need to attach the explanation asked for in Part 7. Please share where it states that you do not need to attach the actual written explanation? If you look on Visa Journey's example forms there is even a specific supplement to follow for Part 7 when you are submitting concurrently with AOS.

I respect all of the work that you have put into showing others how to do the paperwork to file AOS, it was very helpful to say the least, but there is no need to use caps(effectively shouting) in every posting where you think that something someone said is different from what you did or what you think should be done.

First, I'm sorry you took offense, I take offense to people handing out incorrect info. I've tried to clarify this several times but there's still people out there saying "attach this" when it's simply not true. It isn't a matter of what i did, or what I think, it's what i KNOW and what the instructions say. YES, there is an example form for an "explanation" and I've asked before to have it removed for your exact reasoning, it implies it's needed when it's not... however, in the case of re-entry permit the example might be good.

In regards to proof, as I have stated each time someone says you attach proof... I direct you to here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf page 4, Step 2, 1, c, 1. You will see it asks for:

a. Copy of status (for me this was the K1) AND (bolded and caps because this is the impt part)

b. explanation or other evidences OR

c. if you are an applicant for AOS attach the NOA1.... etc

So you can see a is a given, b and c are an "or" situation. As you are applying for AP at the same time as AOS no NOA1 needs be attached, the same stands true for eligibility for EAD as well (there's a line about attaching the NOA1 from AOS, but we don't do that either as they're filed concurrently).

All that said, attach the letter if it makes you feel better, but it's completely unnecessary and we shouldn't go around saying it's required when it's not, just like a standard photocopy of your marriage certificate is needed, not certified (and the guides STILL haven't been changed on that either)...

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.