Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Usui Takumi

Can I get your opinion / ideas?

28 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi all,

So the last 2 weeks has been up and down for me. First on the down, my boss has gone all Japanese on me and is thinking of converting me to a contractor to save money. The up is that I suddenly have two interviews this week. The second interview is basically my current role with likely better pay and benefits. They called the day they received my application so I hope that means they are keen. Their schedule is unknown

My first interview is a different role, still design but marketing graphic design instead of master planning etc. Less pay but still interesting. Their schedule is quick.

So what is the best way to get the first company to wait a bit in order to hear back from the second? This may be wishful thinking and both might think i'm rubbish but i'm thinking along the lines of the most complicated situation.

In the end I know I am at the end of the line with my current employer...probably less than a month before she tries to get me to switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you should insert a progarm that rounds off every transaction to the nearest penny and deposits it in an account. After a few weeks, you can clear out the account and take a nice retirement.


Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

With the first interview/job - you knew at the time you applied that it would be a different role and less pay? Or did this job come about from a recruiter? Because recruiters are pretty could at navigating through these kinds of scenarios.

For me, I'd ask the company to let me have a couple of days to give them an definitive answer, but not much longer than that. I'd also look up as much info on both companies and really it work it through my mind on the different scenarios to figure out which is the preferred path.

Congratulations though! It's good to hear that you are even having this kind of dilemma. :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

With the first interview/job - you knew at the time you applied that it would be a different role and less pay? Or did this job come about from a recruiter? Because recruiters are pretty could at navigating through these kinds of scenarios.

For me, I'd ask the company to let me have a couple of days to give them an definitive answer, but not much longer than that. I'd also look up as much info on both companies and really it work it through my mind on the different scenarios to figure out which is the preferred path.

Congratulations though! It's good to hear that you are even having this kind of dilemma. :thumbs:

This is sensible if they want ya they will give you the time to decide.

But to abuse their generosity (in their minds) of allowing you a view days to think it over by extending it or asking for more will set a precedence and they could recend the offer.

Congrats on the interviews and opportunity I hope it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

But isn't it common practice to interview at several places? Each company interviews several candidates, I don't think it's unreasonable for the company to realize that the person is doing the same, but in reverse.

In all probability, it'll be a multiple interview scenario, like them asking you back again. Might eat up the time needed to secure the second.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is sensible if they want ya they will give you the time to decide.

But to abuse their generosity (in their minds) of allowing you a view days to think it over by extending it or asking for more will set a precedence and they could recend the offer.

Congrats on the interviews and opportunity I hope it works out.

It depends on the line of work. Sousuke happens to work in a highly skilled field so he's not exactly a dime a dozen. He can be upfront with them in a gracious way while also respecting that they need an answer within a certain time frame. Nobody's feelings wil be hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends on the line of work. Sousuke happens to work in a highly skilled field so he's not exactly a dime a dozen. He can be upfront with them in a gracious way while also respecting that they need an answer within a certain time frame. Nobody's feelings wil be hurt.

Not surehow you took my post but it was in agrrement with what you said but to futher the discussion in where our views differ specifically.

Not discrediting anyone but your field is not a dime a dozen either nor is mine.

Unless your speaking of a minimum wage job were there are many people looking for that now because they can not work in their field at this time an answer doesn't have to be given quickly.

As stated asking for a few days to make a decision is ok asking for more will set a precedence.

No one wants to hire someone that will be difficult to manage professionally. (Sos not saying you are :D )

They know an intelligent person will weigh options and time may be needed but they also know that whether you 2 believe it or not if needed they have a fall back if he does not accept any offer they extend.

Further more whether you believe this or not if someone doesn't accept a lot of companies will often reevaluate the offer and change it when it is offered to the next person with out calling the the forst one back.

This allows the company to set their own standards when hiring someone and doesn't give that person the false sense that they control what the company is willing to pay them.

Right or wrong who knows there are arguments to both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

But isn't it common practice to interview at several places? Each company interviews several candidates, I don't think it's unreasonable for the company to realize that the person is doing the same, but in reverse.

In all probability, it'll be a multiple interview scenario, like them asking you back again. Might eat up the time needed to secure the second.

Good luck!

Bunny when interviewing you must schedule it like any professional appointment.

allow time for the interview, time if you expect to wait before, time for any possible extend periods in case the interview goes well. time to travel to the next if you have more than 1 in a day. ( I do not recommend this.)

This is when you need to be upfront about when you are able to schedule the interview.

If your skills are in demand they will know and assume you have other interviews and/or offers; the problem at this time as many have stated in high skilled areas there are many people looking, unemployed, underemployed, or those looking to make a change hopefully fo rthe better.

If you accept an offer it is also professional to contact your other interviews to thank them for their time and any offer you did not accept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is a very pleasant & high-class problem to have, si man.

Whatever you decide, do NOT burn any bridges prematurely (current job, either prospective job). Make it a priority to keep all avenues open for as long as possible.

Closely attend to how each prospective place reacts when you ask for "more time" to decide: self-centered from company's standpoint, or consummately respectful toward you? This can speak volumes about corporate culture, (un)pleasantness of environment, etc.

Let us know how you choose to proceed, si man, and whose advice here was most persuasive to you!


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

So the last 2 weeks has been up and down for me. First on the down, my boss has gone all Japanese on me and is thinking of converting me to a contractor to save money. The up is that I suddenly have two interviews this week. The second interview is basically my current role with likely better pay and benefits. They called the day they received my application so I hope that means they are keen. Their schedule is unknown

My first interview is a different role, still design but marketing graphic design instead of master planning etc. Less pay but still interesting. Their schedule is quick.

So what is the best way to get the first company to wait a bit in order to hear back from the second? This may be wishful thinking and both might think i'm rubbish but i'm thinking along the lines of the most complicated situation.

In the end I know I am at the end of the line with my current employer...probably less than a month before she tries to get me to switch.

I posted a very similar thread some years ago. I never got a good answer and the way it turned out, I wouldn't have needed the anwer anyway.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the first job is an at-will employment, you can always start working at the first company and switch to the 2nd company once you get an offer from them. THat is what a guy did at our office. He worked here for 3 weeks and quit yesterday when he got a better offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the line of work. Sousuke happens to work in a highly skilled field so he's not exactly a dime a dozen. He can be upfront with them in a gracious way while also respecting that they need an answer within a certain time frame. Nobody's feelings wil be hurt.

If he is in demand he is in control.

Edited by Col. Lingus

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...