Usui Takumi

Can I get your opinion / ideas?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If the first job is an at-will employment, you can always start working at the first company and switch to the 2nd company once you get an offer from them. THat is what a guy did at our office. He worked here for 3 weeks and quit yesterday when he got a better offer.

Yep. Not very nice, but hey, that's capitalism for you!

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I didn't look at all the responses, but here's a novelty for you: honesty!

You could say you have only ONE other offer to consider and it will be

between their offer and and the first interview. The only way to tell

the real difference between the two offers is to interview for the second

one. If their offer is sincere they should agree to waiting a few more days

as that should not be too much to ask. You promise not to entertain any

more offers (than the two you are up for) and to give them a speedy decision.

Since their offer was not definitive when you got the second one,

you thought it fair to give both a fair hearing. You realize that they

may choose someone else in the interim and you are willing to take

that chance, but hope they will understand.

I suspect that both of your employers are Japanese and the above may not

pass muster given the habits and customs of Japanese HR practices,

but from what I know of the Japanese they value honesty.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I think I'll try to give myself till Monday to make any decisions unless the first company reacts differently.

You'll never believe this, I just got a third interview! 3 interviews in 2 days (the two on the same day are 6 hours a part.)

I've been looking for about 5 months...this is just weird. I've made lots of revisions over that time, so I must have found a sweet spot application wise.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

If your No.2 still hasn't given you a schedule for an interview, as soon as you've spoken to No.1, let No.2 know you've interviewed with another prospective employer, but you'd like to hear what they have to offer before being put in a position to make a decision. That lets them know you're interested and also gives them a warm, fuzzy feeling that you're an honorable person to deal with (OK, I lied about that part).

As for walking out on a job after 3 weeks because of a better offer, I personally dislike people who do that, as it shows their lack of trustworthiness. In my industry (construction), in local markets word soon gets around when you do something like that and it quickly becomes difficult to get interviews, let alone job offers. Best to avoid that kind of situation where reputation is key.

Having said that, good luck with each of your interviews. Hope the best one makes you the right offer. :thumbs:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

I'd take the first one if it were offered. Then if the second one comes through I'd apologize to #1 and bid them adieu.

+1

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I think I'll try to give myself till Monday to make any decisions unless the first company reacts differently.

You'll never believe this, I just got a third interview! 3 interviews in 2 days (the two on the same day are 6 hours a part.)

I've been looking for about 5 months...this is just weird. I've made lots of revisions over that time, so I must have found a sweet spot application wise.

Is your unemployment running out?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

If your No.2 still hasn't given you a schedule for an interview, as soon as you've spoken to No.1, let No.2 know you've interviewed with another prospective employer, but you'd like to hear what they have to offer before being put in a position to make a decision. That lets them know you're interested and also gives them a warm, fuzzy feeling that you're an honorable person to deal with (OK, I lied about that part).

As for walking out on a job after 3 weeks because of a better offer, I personally dislike people who do that, as it shows their lack of trustworthiness. In my industry (construction), in local markets word soon gets around when you do something like that and it quickly becomes difficult to get interviews, let alone job offers. Best to avoid that kind of situation where reputation is key.

Having said that, good luck with each of your interviews. Hope the best one makes you the right offer. :thumbs:

Agreed with the first part.

Let me get this straight, employers in America do not want employees discussing pay. Employers can hire or fire you at a moments notice, yet these same employers want loyalty. #### that for a joke. They want loyalty, then they can pay for it.

I also do not work for any employer who feels employees are a dime a dozen.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I'm still employed full time (I have had some furlough days in the past). However my employer is thinking of terminating me and then trying to hire me as an independent contractor in order to cut costs.

I am still waiting to know what you do up in that uber liberal state. :lol: Probably the democrat campaign manager.

Edited by Heracles

My profession is a small world, so I must not do anything that may burn a bridge.

There is nothing better than to have two employers bidding for your services. It can be very lucrative for you. You just have to play it right.

GOOD LUCK!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

― Andrew Wilkow

I am still waiting to know what you do up in that uber liberal state.

I just pay for unfortunate individuals that cant seem to take care of themselves.

Edited by Col. Lingus

― Andrew Wilkow

5 monthis is a long time - the longest I've been out of work was probably 1 month,

but those were the far-away bygone days. The playing field has changed very much.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence