Gemmie

Er... I Spy... no violation?

161 posts in this topic

elmcitymaven,

The OP asked for the thread to be removed, which is their prerogative.

I get that this is the current rule, but is it appropriate? I mean, I can see the OP requesting it be locked, but if there is good info in the thread, I don't agree that they can have it removed. IMHO, if you post out on the big bad internet, you have to accept that you are going to get responses you are not going to like, and you have to live with that. Your brilliance/idiocy is out there for all to see and you gotta suck it up, buttercup. Isn't the purpose of VJ to help all those going through immigration? How can we do that if relevant threads get invisiblized?

(This applies mostly to upper forums, there's not usually a lot of helpful advice in OT biggrin.gif)

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Timeline

I get that this is the current rule, but is it appropriate? I mean, I can see the OP requesting it be locked, but if there is good info in the thread, I don't agree that they can have it removed. IMHO, if you post out on the big bad internet, you have to accept that you are going to get responses you are not going to like, and you have to live with that. Your brilliance/idiocy is out there for all to see and you gotta suck it up, buttercup. Isn't the purpose of VJ to help all those going through immigration? How can we do that if relevant threads get invisiblized?

(This applies mostly to upper forums, there's not usually a lot of helpful advice in OT biggrin.gif)

I couldn't agree more. I think an OP should have 'ownership' per se, over a thread where the OP has shared some very personal details, and may regret it later. BUT I even loathe the 'locking power' alone, let's say like in OT...you talk about a general concept, or basic topic, and for any reason (s)he wants, POOF! locked.

It's stupid.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I can think of a few threads in which the OP didn't care for how the topic was going so they ripped the ones who replied a new one only to turn around right directly afterward to have a mod close it. That is super annoying laughing.gif

yeah I remember someone who would do that.. when the thread wasn't going the way they wanted it to they asked for it to be locked

mvSuprise-hug.gif

yeah I remember someone who would do that.. when the thread wasn't going the way they wanted it to they asked for it to be locked

the annoyance for me wasn't that they didn't like the course it was on and had it locked - it was the bitchslap they doled out just prior to contacting a mod to close it :P

Edited by LaL

I do remember one regular poster requested to have every thread they started closed. It was done, as they requested.

laughing.gif

Maybe I should try this tactic.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just weighing in, we actually get fairly regular requests like that from people who have finished their own immigration process and would like to have all of their posts removed and their profiles/membership[s removed.

Basically, if someone wishes one or two or even three problematic threads removed that they have started - especially if it is over a period of time - it is not a problem, but if someone asks for all of them to be removed, it is. Speaking for myself, I generally respond back to them and explain that VJ is an experiential based forum where each of us shares from our experience to the benefit of other members. Even when we finish our personal journeys, our experiences may still be of value to someone else. I ask that they reconsider their request and if there are any posts that are disturbing or problematic or embarrassing or too personal, to identify them by link and we would close those, but for a whole sale removal of everything someone has posted (assuming it is not wholesale TOS violating or embarrassingly personal) no, I generally won't do that and will try hard to convince the individual making such a request to change their request. Only once have I acquiesced; there were extenuating circumstances involved so while reluctant to do so, I did.

And - on top of it all, wholesale removal of someone's posts is an incredible amount of work!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!